***Quest Pro Owners Club***

Ah that was interesting but a bit painful to watch, if I had a pro I would be treraing it with kid gloves and not pulling it apart, I guess he knows what he's doing and is able to put it together again.
Here is another one with mods for comfort.

Yeah the comfort is a bit weird. Sometimes I can wear it for ages, other times it's uncomfortable after a short while. I'm waiting for some decent replacement forehead pads.

Hopefully the dead-eye VR strap I've got on order will make it more comfortable.

Also I don't know what meta were thinking when they designed the blinders. Without them the headset is so easy to get on and off with glasses, but with them on it's really awkward and they press on the glasses. Still, prescription lenses should avoid that.

If it makes you two feel better my dad still plays and he's eighty two, closing in on eighty three now.
That is one of the reasons I jumped in and bought the Quest 2 rather than wait for the quest 3, that old Father Time is marching on for me, now if I could convince myself to apply the same logic and get the pro, but its difficult....lol

That is one of the reasons I jumped in and bought the Quest 2 rather than wait for the quest 3, that old Father Time is marching on for me, now if I could convince myself to apply the same logic and get the pro, but its difficult....lol

I am just waiting until Ravenger gets bored of his and then buy it off him for tree fiddy :p

I think this full Ifixit teardown video shows why the Pro is so expensive.

The good news, the battery should be fairly easily replaced, though it's a very unusual curved design, so no doubt will be expensive.

It's also not got much glue inside.

The bad news is it's incredibly complex and held together by dozens of screws. It's likely uneconomic to repair given the effort needed to disassemble. It makes me glad I took out an extended warranty.

Also the controllers are just as complex, and annoyingly the sticks are like those in the Switch and so will be prone to drift. At £150 each you'd think they'd use hall-effect sticks.

Still it's an interesting video. These headsets cannot be cheap to make. Certainly Quest 3 has to be much, much simpler to manufacture if they're going to keep the costs down.

The headset was definitely rushed from a software point of view, but the MR is better than many reviewers are giving credit for. Apparently the latest Quest software improves the passthrough quality too.

However Meta is definitely pushing it for a business use case it's not ready for as the apps to use the advanced features are just not ready yet.

With the shared space anchors it will be possible for example to have multiple quest pros in a single area all looking at the same in-world MR content. E.g. car designers being able to walk around a full size render of a car in a shared space. This is possible now, but nothing is doing that yet. I put the Demeo board on my dining room table and it was next-level immersion.

Meta should have been pushing thie pro as a prosumer gamer/MR dev headset with the potential for working in VR.

However they were probably concerned that Apple might beat them to market.

Also what the Quest Pro is doing to generate the depth correct passthrough is computationally very expensive, plus the onboard chip has a limitation on how much bandwidth it can process for video. Comparing a 2D camera photo with a fully depth correct stereo video image with MR elements fully present in the scene and tracking hands or controllers while allowing movement and interactivity is a bit unfair.

Last edited:
I can see the quest 3 being £499 or more for a 128gb storage, probably the more Meta charges the more they can add, like a decent strap and battery at back. That price point would suit me ok probably up to £599, when I would feel its getting a little expensive.
I can see the pro maybe dropping a few hundred, but not much more.
Anyone with the pro still fire up the old Quest 2 to play, or is it totally in retirement.

I can see the quest 3 being £499 or more for a 128gb storage, probably the more Meta charges the more they can add, like a decent strap and battery at back. That price point would suit me ok probably up to £599, when I would feel its getting a little expensive.
I can see the pro maybe dropping a few hundred, but not much more.
Anyone with the pro still fire up the old Quest 2 to play, or is it totally in retirement.

My Quest 2 is now used for fitness apps (don't want to ruin the pro with sweat!), and for playing local MP walkabout mini golf. My wife prefers it to using my old Quest 1 for that.

It's good though to be able to play with three players in the same house, though I have to buy a new copy for one of the headsets as app sharing only works between two headsets.

These look pretty good. Don't interfere with the charging or tracking and offer protection and index style grips.

I played Skyrim VR and Alyx last night via link cable for a while and was again blown away by how sharp and clear this headset is.

BUT even with the official link cable plugged into a USBC port it drained the battery as if I was using wireless. This apparently is a known issue for some users.

But I think there may be an issue with the battery on my Pro anyway as it inexplicably drained the other day in less than in an hour while playing walkabout, even though I had fully charged it.

I'll do some tests. I recently watched a 2 hour movie with no issues so I'll trying watching another to see if the battery lasts.

I'm hoping I don't have to get it replaced under warranty but I did buy it from a high street shop so I can just take it back and see if they'll swap it if it is dodgy.

Also my dead-eye headstrap turned up, and it was a little bit fiddly to fit and get it adjusted but it does seem to add to the comfort. I didn't feel the pressure on my forehead as much, though it did feel a little less secure.

Last edited:
Lovely flight from bordeaux down to montpellier Nice weather down there.
I've been trying a few 3d clips from YouTube most haven't been done very well, but the avatar 2 one and there's an lg demo that look fantastic, ordered some used 3d blu rays to have a go at ripping.
The sky app actually has a 3d film on which seems to work rather well.

I'm still within my 30 day trial period but don't think I could live without it tbh no going back.

Pro is amazing at 3D movies. The clarity and colours really pop. The big issue though is the lens glow at the edges in dark scenes which can be distracting. I really hope Skybox and Bigscreen, etc. implement local dimming which should help, or Meta implements an experimental option to turn it on globally.

I played Skyrim VR and Alyx last night via link cable for a while and was again blown away by how sharp and clear this headset is.

BUT even with the official link cable plugged into a USBC port it drained the battery as if I was using wireless. This apparently is a known issue for some users.

But I think there may be an issue with the battery on my Pro anyway as it inexplicably drained the other day in less than in an hour while playing walkabout, even though I had fully charged it.

I'll do some tests. I recently watched a 2 hour movie with no issues so I'll trying watching another to see if the battery lasts.

I'm hoping I don't have to get it replaced under warranty but I did buy it from a high street shop so I can just take it back and see if they'll swap it if it is dodgy.

Also my dead-eye headstrap turned up, and it was a little bit fiddly to fit and get it adjusted but it does seem to add to the comfort. I didn't feel the pressure on my forehead as much, though it did feel a little less secure.
I wouldn't rush to leave it back yet, as sometimes every with the Quest it seems to drain faster than I thought, I have a few powerbanks that I have tried, a few times in past few days the Quest hasn't really kept the charge, even though powerbank attached with full charge.

Its probably easy to loose track of time as well using a VR headset, maybe an idea to try to get the pro running with a powerbank as well.

On the subject of batteries what is their life expectancy anyway, and should we run the internal battery down sometimes rather than trying to keep it always over 90% with a powerbank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom