***Quest Pro Owners Club***

It's a bit contradictory with the Pro as they supply a dock so you can keep it charged all the time, but then recommend you don't leave it on charge all the time. The whole idea is to have it charged and ready for use, and you'd think they'd have protections in against constant overcharging.

Battery on Quest Apps with no eye and face tracking is supposed to be about 2 hours 30 mins, and my previous use has confirmed that.

I think my battery might be knackered after I left it on charge accidentally overnight (which with a new battery shouldn't be an issue) but I noticed in the morning the headset was had possibly been on all night. The headset had turned itself back on despite me turning it off. It was after this that Walkabout caused it to drain to less than 15% in less than an hour, which is less than half the expected battery life, and much less than I've seen previously. Even if it had been on all night some people play linked to battery packs for long periods when playing flight sim so it shouldn't be an issue.

I've not had a chance to test it properly yet but I'll give it another go watching a movie or playing standalone tonight. If it drains too quickly then I'll factory reset it and give it another go, then it'll be off to the retailer and see if they'll swap it.

I might be worrying over nothing, but if it had kept charged while linked then I would be happier.

Last edited:
I watched Jurassic Park in 3D in Skybox which is approx 2hrs and had 32% battery left so fingers crossed the battery glitch has fixed itself.

The controllers dropped to 83% so it does look like they'll last about 8 to 10 hours.

Oh and Jurassic Park 3D is the best 3D conversion of an old 2D film I've seen. It's astonishingly sharp and the 3D is very well done. Looks almost like a native 3D film.

Oh and Meta have pushed a new beta app to the Pro to allow desktop streaming in MR mode. Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

Last edited:
I can't imagine being left on overnight would cause battery to be knackered, else there was something wrong with it in first place.
One thing does concern me as to the total lifespan of these batteries, since these headsets depend on being charged up so many times, maybe sometimes twice a day, how long I wonder should battery last before it starts to develop issues, a year, two years , its hard to say, I have heard that lithium batteries can be charged up to a thousand times, but who knows!

The good thing about the Pro is it doesn't look too hard to change the battery. Any mobile phone repair shop should be able to do it.

However getting hold of the curved, proprietary battery will probably be difficult and expensive.

As these are basically android phones, is there a phone battery health app APK file that could be used to monitor it, and give a charge percentage compared to when the battery was new. Like the laptop battery apps.

For PC VR buy a dedicated link cable designed for that use.

Also it seems that the pro has difficulty maintaining a charge over USB from a PC, so you can now get cables which split power so you can plug in a USBC charger to maintain a charge while playing linked.

Last edited:
So mine arrived today, just setting it up it was clear as day its next level from my Valve Index let alone my old Rift S. The clarity of the screens and lenses is amazing! Wow!

Was a pain in the arse getting 90hx in Alyx though, not sure if there is an easier way but had to use SideQuest to run a command. Is there an easier way I missed? Still it looks glorious, the whole screen feels like a sweet spot on this. Not regretting this purchase.

Yeah it's legitmately next-gen hardware. Even more amazing that the encode resolution is smaller than Quest 2, so you get a massive increase in quality without having to have beefier PC hardware, it's like getting a GPU upgrade for free with the headset.

I've had some issues getting 90hz working via link. Sometimes it works, othertimes it doesn't. I've stuck with 72 for the minute which actually looks very good, and I don't really notice the difference much from 90hz.

Disappointingly the latest Quest software has no specific features or fixes for Quest Pro (as far as we know). There's just radio silence from Meta about any future fixes/upgrades for the headset, and there are quite a few things that need fixing/adding to make it the headset they promised at launch.

Yeah it's legitmately next-gen hardware. Even more amazing that the encode resolution is smaller than Quest 2, so you get a massive increase in quality without having to have beefier PC hardware, it's like getting a GPU upgrade for free with the headset.

I've had some issues getting 90hz working via link. Sometimes it works, othertimes it doesn't. I've stuck with 72 for the minute which actually looks very good, and I don't really notice the difference much from 90hz.

Disappointingly the latest Quest software has no specific features or fixes for Quest Pro (as far as we know). There's just radio silence from Meta about any future fixes/upgrades for the headset, and there are quite a few things that need fixing/adding to make it the headset they promised at launch.

I've changed the bit rate to 500 in the ODT now. Its a bit of a leaning curve for this bit of kit. Reddit has some good info though.

So a good and yet frustrating evening. When its running well it is amazing. However i was getting terrible fps problems and I think it was down to the Virtual Desktop app. As soon as i quit that app the problem went away. I guess its still early days for this hardware and software. Oculus app kept saying it had no audio when I was getting audio through the headset, found I had to refresh the drivers c:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers\oculus-driver.exe That happened more than once. Amazing hardware but it shouldn't be this finicky.

I've been having intermitted lag spikes when using Oculus Airlink, which I think was caused by other apps on my PC. After closing stuff down it seemed a lot better. I also had a problem where my mic wasn't working but updating to the beta software fixed it.

I must admit I prefer running at 72hz on Airlink as the visual quality is so much better, rivalling the link cable.

Virtual desktop just doesn't work well enough for me, I prefer Airlink.

I've just bought the AMVR neck battery for wireless use, and a Kuject link cable for wired link to see if I can extend the battery somewhat, as my official cable just wasn't giving enough juice over USBC.

Now I just need to find a decent case. Annoyingly the top headstrap I bought makes it not fit in the available hard cases out there. I removed the strap and I seem to be getting on ok without it, though it can get uncomfortable on the forehead after a long session. Hopefully VR Cover will come up with something.
What I really want is a case that incorporates the charging dock so I can charge it in the case.

Last edited:
Not in the UK, but I used VR Optician who are based in Germany. Took less than a couple of weeks to arrive and cost with shipping (due my my presciption) about £80. No custom duties when I got them either.

I would say though that they sit pretty tall and can you can feel them sometimes if you have the lenses dialled in. I've also had them fall off a few times too when picking up the headset due to the way they clamp onto the Pro's rubber lens enclosures. but they're much less cumbersome than glasses.

VR Optician use Zeiss lenses so the actual lenses are very high quality.

Not in the UK, but I used VR Optician who are based in Germany. Took less than a couple of weeks to arrive and cost with shipping (due my my presciption) about £80. No custom duties when I got them either.

I would say though that they sit pretty tall and can you can feel them sometimes if you have the lenses dialled in. I've also had them fall off a few times too when picking up the headset due to the way they clamp onto the Pro's rubber lens enclosures. but they're much less cumbersome than glasses.

VR Optician use Zeiss lenses so the actual lenses are very high quality.

Cheers I'll check them out.

Back
Top Bottom