Quote me a Air Rifle

Soldato
VeNT said:
tbh, I am planning on doing some target work first to check I can still aim, and yeah used to do shooting with a m8 who owned a farm and I was good, we're not talking long range here or anything.

pfft who needs a gun, i could take out a bull with a stong and a piece of string

Suspended
Get something in .177 and gas powered, a BSA at around the £200 mark will do the job and come with reasonable optics.

You don't need a box, just get a bag, and keep it clean, and never ever dry fire it.

Though the money you can spend on Air Rifles is pretty crazy!

EDIT: And you'll be needing a sharp knife to finnish them off.

Commissario
AthlonTom said:
EDIT: And you'll be needing a sharp knife to finnish them off.
WTF?

As said above, if you're not 99%, in fact 99.9% sure you'll get the kill in a single shot, you should not take the shot. You should not be "needing a sharp knife to finnish them off". :rolleyes:

K.

Suspended
Feek said:
WTF?

As said above, if you're not 99%, in fact 99.9% sure you'll get the kill in a single shot, you should not take the shot. You should not be "needing a sharp knife to finnish them off". :rolleyes:

K.

You can never garentee you'll kill a rabbit in a single shot with an air rifle. A Knife across the throat is the best you can do for them - you need it, just in case.

Last edited:

Bar

Bar

Soldato
You should always have the tools and more importantly the will to finish off the job just in case you do not get an instant kill.

Anything can happen, especially with an air rifle, that might affect an instant kill even if you do have a high degree of accuracy.

Remember though it is one thing to shoot and kill from a distance through a scope - something else entirely to do it with your own hands close up.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
On a side note what will you do with the rabbits that you do kill? Will you sell them to a butcher or do it yourself? Otherwise its just a waste.

Caporegime
Feek said:
WTF?

K.

I took it to mean he'd need a sharp knife to skin it and prepare it to eat, but perhaps I'm a bit overly optimistic in that department.

I concur - if you can't shoot straight and need a knife to finish the job, then quit shooting till you can pull it off.

Suspended
vonhelmet said:
I took it to mean he'd need a sharp knife to skin it and prepare it to eat, but perhaps I'm a bit overly optimistic in that department.

I concur - if you can't shoot straight and need a knife to finish the job, then quit shooting till you can pull it off.

At the end of the day do any of you regularly do this?! Air Rifle pellets will not always nail a rabbit - end of.

I live in the middle of bloody nowhere, you want to kill a rabbit in one go everytime you use a proper .22 hunting rifle. A standard power air rifle will not kill a rabbit every go.

Caporegime
AthlonTom said:
At the end of the day do any of you regularly do this?! Air Rifle pellets will not always nail a rabbit - end of.

I live in the middle of bloody nowhere, you want to kill a rabbit in one go everytime you use a proper .22 hunting rifle. A standard power air rifle will not kill a rabbit every go.

Well, whatever. Like you say - I don't know much about this. All I'm concerned about is that if you're going to shoot animals, you do it properly. If it's possible with an air rifle, fine. If you need a 22, buy a 22. If you have to nuke it from orbit, go ahead. Just don't shoot it half-arsedly and leave it struggling while you attempt to slit it's throad with the breadknife.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
AthlonTom said:

I used to have a modified .22 and even that didnt always get the kill first time. Never heard a rabbit "scream" before :(

Soldato
OP
tbh, the bunnys arn't as much of an issue as the magpies as they are getting evil, being quite violent and taking the mail out of our post box for some reason.

(Before you ask, we caught em at it, bleeding birds)

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Have you tried a replica, plastic raven or something to stop the Magpies? I've seen them work in other places... might be a cheap starter option. Maybe one of those fake cats with the freaky reflective eyes for the garden too for the rabbits?

Soldato
OP
Mat said:
Have you tried a replica, plastic raven or something to stop the Magpies? I've seen them work in other places... might be a cheap starter option. Maybe one of those fake cats with the freaky reflective eyes for the garden too for the rabbits?

rabbits apear fearless in the face of plastic cats, and I'll have a look at the raven idea, is that with T2 launchers or T1?

Back
Top Bottom