Quote me a Air Rifle

Soldato
OP
lucasade1 said:
Stamford, Lincolnshire.

Quite a way for you to travel for an Air Rifle. I'm sure there are plenty of nice gun shops around the Cornwall area :)

from what I've seen, not that meny.

anyone know of one down here?
I think tragos sells em but tbh, its a health risk buying ANYTHING there, never mind a gun

Soldato
Cuchulain said:
If you're serious about it, get yourself a Logun, guaranteed for life but will set you back over £800, my old man bought one a few months back and it's pure quality.
Agreed my friend has a Logun .22 and its very very accurate for a .22. :cool:

Soldato
VeNT said:
yes but again, we're talking even MORE money here,
What you want is one like mine, a no-name, reasonably powerful, nicely built .22 air rifle for about £70.

Unless your considering going serious, but for shooting a few things in the garden you don't want to be spending £800.

Soldato
VeNT said:
yes but again, we're talking even MORE money here,[/Q

Im very sure if you browse around the net your be able to find a pretty simple set up for £100 rifle,scope,bag,tin of pellets. :)

Permabanned
I have a Air-Arms s410 carbine, they are a brilliant rifle, and i have taken a rabbit out with 1 shot...

shove a silencer on it, and a good scope, the one i have is a Hawke Nite-Eye 4-16x50 TypeB Reticle IR Parallax Adj.

Last edited:
Soldato
lucasade1 said:
Make sure your using nice pointed pellets when shooting the likes of rabbits. I can recommend the .22 marksman pointed pellets which I use.

Anybody who knows anything knows that pointed pellets are junk.

The only thing your smk and marksman pellets are fit for is the bin.

Soldato
Pointed are better for medium powered rifles round for full power. At the end of the day it's your preference and whatever gets results.

VeNT, have a look at the Webley Xocet range for a decent priced full power rifle. They went into recievership but the warranty is covered by a related partner.

Soldato
ElvisFan said:
I'm not doubting the pigeons you've maimed.

I'm doubting the muzzle energy of a SMK.

Ok, so what do you suggest this guy buys then? An £800 rifle?

He is going to use it in the same context as I use mine, mine does the job and thus I recommended it to him. I fail to see why you need to be so condescending.

Soldato
Although i havnt owned an air rifle since before my son was born (nearly 9 years ago now)

I wouldnt want to shoot anything without an FAC Air rifle to be honest.

I used to have two Weihrauchs a hw 77 , and a hw97k something or other, both were 12lb rifles, and i wouldnt dream of attempting to kill anything with them, simply not enough power.

Soldato
@ OP
Go here http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/ and register - these guys will have all of the info you need to make the right choice of what to get/intended use and some realistic expectations of the kit you'll be getting.
For a 12flb rifle (either .22 or .177) don't be looking to get a humane kill of a bunny or pidgeon etc at anything more than 30 yards or so (depending on the skill of the shooter) - remember you have to get the pellet to impact cleanly in an area about 20mm in diameter; first time every time, something which can be quite difficult in less than ideal conditions ie. not on an indoor range... Also there's more of an emphasis upon field craft and stalking when using a sub 12flb rifle as you have to get closer to ensure an accurately place shot.
It would seem from my observed experience that declaring 'I killed a bunny with my 12flb air rifle with one shot at 70yds' will bring nothing but disbelief and a certain amount of flamming. It's considered bad form to not adhere to the 30yd rule for a clean kill, unless you're using FAC equipment, in which case that's a whole other kettle of fish. Again the peeps at airgunbbs will be able to help out with that too.

Last edited:
Soldato
jumpy said:
don't be looking to get a humane kill of a bunny or pidgeon etc at anything more than 30 yards or so

Without knowing the size of VeNT's garden, 30 yards is more than enough distance for getting a clean kill in his garden I would have thought????

Associate
Some of the advice in this thread is quite ridiculous, funny though. :D

2 shots in the head; finish with a knife; pointed pellets best for medium powered airguns........ great stuff :D

12 ft.lb rifle is completely adequate for one shot kills if you're up to the job. Everyone has a less than perfect kill from time to time but it's not the fault of the rifle and shouldn't be a regular occurrence.

AA Field pellets work well in pretty much all rifles, may have to try different headsizes to get the perfect match for your barrel though.

http://www.airgununiverse.org/forums/index.php? - much friendlier bunch than AirgunBBS.

Soldato
OP
Feek said:
I hate threads like this which end up in 'my gun's better than yours' type rubbish.

/me clicks unsubscribe and backs out.

K.

kinda sad realy, your one of the ones whos opinion I respect here, I'm ignoring those who are saying "oh you need this 800 quid jobbie" or "gah that 800 quid one is pants, go for this 800 quid one"

Soldato
OP
lucasade1 said:
Without knowing the size of VeNT's garden, 30 yards is more than enough distance for getting a clean kill in his garden I would have thought????

totaly, the distance I'm gonna be working from is SUB 20ft I'd say at MAX

Back
Top Bottom