Quote me a Air Rifle

Soldato
OP
tbh feek, I've given up on this thread and am asking a guy on another forums who is local to me if I can borrow his, known him a while but didn't know he had one, have to see its condition etc but should be ok for taking out the 3-4 magpies we have here.

Soldato
Feek is 100% correct, when hunting with an airgun you need to get as close as possible to achieve a clean kill. This means getting within 40m, so if your wearing aftershave and wearing clothing that doesn't match your surroundings etc you have no chance. If you do everything right and have practiced hitting a killzone sized target at your hunting range then you will be able to get a clean kill every time. You should look on the second hand section of AirgunBBS and see if you can pic up a used HW95 and scope for your budget as you wont get many kills with a B2 in fact one shot and every bird, rabbit with in a 1 mile area will vanish.

Mark

Soldato
OP
Cybermyk said:
Well said Feek :)

Would you agree with the Webley Exocet for the OP's £150?

I think it looks to be just what he wants.

someone mentioned (was feek tbh) Air Arms TX200 2nd hand, I'll keep my eye open for one.

Soldato
Cybermyk said:
Well said Feek :)

Would you agree with the Webley Exocet for the OP's £150?

I think it looks to be just what he wants.
Yes a Webley Exocet is a decent gun and will do the job fine.

tbh feek, I've given up on this thread and am asking a guy on another forums who is local to me if I can borrow his, known him a while but didn't know he had one, have to see its condition etc but should be ok for taking out the 3-4 magpies we have here.
Why have you given up you have been given loads of useful information, whats the problem.

mark

Permabanned
Feek said:
I said I wouldn't come back in here, but when I posted saying I'd emailed Vent, it resubscribed me.

RUBBISH.

Absolute tosh. A good hunter will be sure he's going to make the kill before he takes the shot. Anyone who says an airgun isn't good/powerful enough to kill rabbits and/or magpies in a single shot is talking out of their arse.
K.

I'm not saying whether an airgun is powerful enough to kill a rabbit or not. You seem to know about guns so I'll believe you when you say it is. What I am saying, is that whether you are in a gun club or not, there is no way that if you had 1000 bunnies running round, or magpies flying round that you would hit AND KILL every single one apart from one.

Soldato
OP
Mark A said:
Feek is 100% correct, when hunting with an airgun you need to get as close as possible to achieve a clean kill. This means getting within 40m, so if your wearing aftershave and wearing clothing that doesn't match your surroundings etc you have no chance. If you do everything right and have practiced hitting a killzone sized target at your hunting range then you will be able to get a clean kill every time. You should look on the second hand section of AirgunBBS and see if you can pic up a used HW95 and scope for your budget as you wont get many kills with a B2 in fact one shot and every bird, rabbit with in a 1 mile area will vanish.

Mark

HW95 is out of my price range, they seem to be £200+ even 2nd hand, I'm maxing out at £150

Soldato
OP
starscream said:
I'm not saying whether an airgun is powerful enough to kill a rabbit or not. You seem to know about guns so I'll believe you when you say it is. What I am saying, is that whether you are in a gun club or not, there is no way that if you had 1000 bunnies running round, or magpies flying round that you would hit AND KILL every single one apart from one.

you wait till they stop running dude or you don't take the shot!

Soldato
VeNT said:
HW95 is out of my price range, they seem to be £200+ even 2nd hand, I'm maxing out at £150
Ahh i havnt looked on the second hand market for a while, i saw one a while ago going for £150 with a scope. Thats a shame, but if there are only 4 or 5 maggies then your better off borrowing, unless you'd enjoy target shooting with it after.

Mark

Soldato
Mark A said:
Ahh i havnt looked on the second hand market for a while, i saw one a while ago going for £150 with a scope. Thats a shame, but if there are only 4 or 5 maggies then your better off borrowing, unless you'd enjoy target shooting with it after.

Mark

TX200's are bloody good guns, but tend to be more expensive than HW95's.

Commissario
In your mind, you have to be that 99.9% or even 100% sure that for that particular shot, you're going to kill. If your mind is saying 'well actually, I'm not quite sure, the wind is a bit gusty today, this may just wound' then you shouldn't be taking the shot.

That's my point.

Vent, the Exocet will do you just fine. But if you can borrow a rifle then that's an even cheaper option!

One other thing to consider. Are you the land owner?

If not, then by law you MUST get permission (ideally written) from the land owner before shooting pest species (this includes maggies). If you don't have the explicit permission from the land owner you could be guilty of armed trespass.

Then also remember that you are only legally allowed to shoot them if they are doing one of the following.

1) Threatening wild bird populations.

2) Endangering public health

3) Spreading disease

4) Causing serious damage to livestock, crops, fisheries, young trees or waterways.

Worth remembering.

K.

Soldato
TX200's are bloody good guns, but tend to be more expensive than HW95's.

Yep they tend to go for just under the retail price £230 -£240, the HW97 pictured above is a good alternative and can be found cheaper second hand. A HW80 can be had for £90 second hand which leaves £60 for a 3-9X40 scope, the only problem is that its a big heavy gun which doesnt suit everybody.

Mark

Soldato
OP
starscream said:
I'm sure, but 999 kills out of 1000 shots??
I don't see why not
target stops moving long enough, don't think its going to move or go anywhere, hasn't seen you, isn't spooked, safe position (ground behind etc) within range etc then its all good.
we're not talking long range here
also feek was saying about being sure about killing in 1 shot, not being able to kill outright 999 times out of 1000, things can ALWAYS go wrong, but he wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing, rather than just shooting away at bunnys randomly without thinking about it and leaving maimed rabbits everywhere,.

Soldato
OP
Feek said:
Worth remembering.

K.[/FONT]

totaly, I am the land owner (well family is, and i have permision)
they are doing the whole magpie killing other birds eggs thing around there atm so I suppose that covers the other side too.

I used to be into shooting with air rifles like I said, didn't have the money back then to get my own, I may invest in an Webley Exocet or somthing like that as they seem a good price, but I'll keep my eyes open for the other ones people have talked about.

I'm not gonna spend over £150 on a 2nd hand rifle tho, as I'd rather spend the money on a new kite (ohhh P L Gorrilla, must, resist, urge, to, buy!)

Soldato
You need an air rifle thats good enough to stop the cute fluffy rabbit from running away and a mallet to finish the job . All the stuff about clean-kills is to make people feel better.

Quick death - slow death , same result == dead rabbit.

Soldato
VeNT said:
totaly, I am the land owner (well family is, and i have permision)
they are doing the whole magpie killing other birds eggs thing around there atm so I suppose that covers the other side too.

I used to be into shooting with air rifles like I said, didn't have the money back then to get my own, I may invest in an Webley Exocet or somthing like that as they seem a good price, but I'll keep my eyes open for the other ones people have talked about.

I'm not gonna spend over £150 on a 2nd hand rifle tho, as I'd rather spend the money on a new kite (ohhh P L Gorrilla, must, resist, urge, to, buy!)

I cannot reccomend the exocet enough :) certainly worth getting a silencer though the buggers are bloody loud, apart from that they are consistent with power and accuracy and a great middle range hunting springer.

Soldato
Rich1988 said:
I cannot reccomend the exocet enough :) certainly worth getting a silencer though the buggers are bloody loud, apart from that they are consistent with power and accuracy and a great middle range hunting springer.

Ditto, I have one and it's great- nice and straightforward, does the job a treat.
Only one question now - .177 or .22 ? :eek: :D (hehe endless debate there ;) )

Back
Top Bottom