• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

You talking to someone that's going from z690 12900k to z790 13900k

But even if zen4 3d becomes the fastest gaming chip he won't switch
yeah i know he wont but he keeps saying he would if AMD came out tops in games May as well remind of that from time to time

Seems odd to be testing RPL with below official spec memory.

I do not think @LtMatt is suggesting anything i think he is just sharing a review of some retail samples. Maybe the fact that techpowerUp used a 3080 and the chinese guy used a 3090ti played a part. Have you watched the video? Based purely on this review your goal for a CPu to match your 4090 should be adjusted to either Zen 4 or Zen 4 3D if you really want to have the ultimate CPu for your 4090. AMD went backwards a little compared to the 5800X 3d in some games so it is perfectly beliable Intel MAY of done the same. You should not be so keen to dismiss other just cause you do not like what they are showing you

Going backwards a little in some cases with Zen 4 compared to a niche product like 5800X3D which was a gaming oriented CPU is not a fair comparison to Intel going backwards in gaming from 12900K to 13700K. That would be more akin to AMD going backwards from 7000 series to regular non-3D versions of Ryzen 5000 CPUs which they did not. Or if the potential 7000X3D chip was worse than 5800X3D.

Hard to believe Intel would actually go backwards in gaming benchmarks. Was it perhaps not configured correctly for the Chinese guys benchmarks

I've seen some hypocrisy on this one actually. I've seen people saying not to bother with AM4 because it's dead, so no point paying £400 for a 5800X3D. Then in same breath, wait for the 13th gen reviews..

That's why I went with AM5 and 7950x, cause I'll be able to drop in the next 3 generations of CPUs in it as well

Last edited:
I can't read the red writing in the Chinese 7700k vs 13700k benchmark but the yellow writing does say 7700K is running 5200MHz tuned for extreme low latency, nothing was writen for Intel which I assume is stock probably CL40 or something considering memory from that era aren't very fast to begin with.

Edit:
Alright I actually went to watch the video. The guy doesn't have 13900K in hand it was lend out to someone else. The red text just says its 6400 at CL40. Not sure why they put the 7700X at DDR-5200 (low latency, high bandwidth) <-- thats what the text actually says.
They're using T-Force DDR5 6400 32GB CL40. They tested Alder Lake and Raptor Lake using 5200 because the base supported memory for Alder Lake is 4800 (they raised to 5200) and the base supported for Raptor Lake is 5600 (they dropped it to 5200).

He did mention 7700X with these memory specs are 2-3% slower than 13900K with similar memory specs.

Last edited:
That's why I went with AM5 and 7950x, cause I'll be able to drop in the next 3 generations of CPUs in it as well

If the motherboards for 13th (1700?) were signfiicantly less than AM5 (now I've written it I have a feeling they are) AND the CPU's were then it might tempt me as I am sure the 13700/900 is going to be good for years. I don't think I can get past the £ difference and the knowledge that AM5 is good for future CPU's though, regardless of current high entry costs.
Crazy thing is I remember previous gen chips being good for YEARS, remember the... was it Q6600 or something dual core?
I wouldn't personally go for that CPU as cannot justify cost for gaming, totally could the 7600/7700 though but if I got the 7600 I'd probs want to change for 3D later down the line.

My fave CPU I ever had I think was the 4790K, was is devil canyon? First CPU I ever delidded.

Last edited:
If you turn HT off, you are wasting a sizeable chunk of the core, as you can no longer utilize the whole core with a single thread.
Although a thread may run faster when it has the whole core to itself, but you won't get high utilisation of the core.

I've noticed that behavior too. I always wondered why one thread just doesn't max out one core. Something to do with processing inefficiencies with just one thread?

I do not think @LtMatt is suggesting anything i think he is just sharing a review of some retail samples. Maybe the fact that techpowerUp used a 3080 and the chinese guy used a 3090ti played a part. Have you watched the video? Based purely on this review your goal for a CPu to match your 4090 should be adjusted to either Zen 4 or Zen 4 3D if you really want to have the ultimate CPu for your 4090. AMD went backwards a little compared to the 5800X 3d in some games so it is perfectly beliable Intel MAY of done the same. You should not be so keen to dismiss other just cause you do not like what they are showing you
I know lots of people in this forum want it to be the case cause they support a specific company over another for unknown reasons, but the chances that the 13700 or 13900 are slower than the 12900 in games is basically non existent. Id be willing to bet my whole bank account on that. And I bet ltmatt would be willing to bet his as well, so we know the reason he shared that review with us

It was a Raptor Lake leak, and it was new so posted it. Didn't give it too much though other than it would probably rile up a couple of fan boys, which evidently it did. :cry:

I want the best gaming CPU and something that will be great with an RTX 4090.

Though it seems it is going to be a wait for one being the 7000X3D

Raptor Lake is about to be available in just 4 days on October 20.

How would 8 core Raptor Lake with very fast DDR5 in Gear 2 and e-cores disabled compare to 8 core 7700X3D/7800X3D from AMD for gaming.

Will Raptor Lake handily beat Zen 4 gaming like Alder Lake did Zen 3??

And thus 7000X3D trade blows with Raptor Lake like 5800X3D did with 12700K and 12900K Alder Lake in gaming. Or is Ryzen 7000X3D going to smash Raptor Lake even with well tuned fast DDR5 in gaming??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom