Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
3a minimum or 2.5a if no USB devices pull more than 500mA combined. It's on the website :)

Can you get a 2.5amp plug though? I though the most i'd seen was 2.4amp otherwise you had to get a 3amp plug.

That splitter for example is only rated to supply 2.4 amps.

I also read that the fan shim runs at 0.6W, which i work out to be 0.12 amps. So depending on how power hungry your pi is, you may just about get the fan shim running on a 2.4amp plug.

Permabanned
Can you get a 2.5amp plug though? I though the most i'd seen was 2.4amp otherwise you had to get a 3amp plug.

That splitter for example is only rated to supply 2.4 amps.

I also read that the fan shim runs at 0.6W, which i work out to be 0.12 amps. So depending on how power hungry your pi is, you may just about get the fan shim running on a 2.4amp plug.

I wouldn't be using a fan shim or any other accessories. It will be powered over POE.

Associate
Morning all, have the pi4 4gb on way, looking for a good active fan cooling case, seen a few on the rainforest, one has quite good reviews, what cases are people using to keep this thing nice and cool? prefer one with a fan or one that keeps as cool as a fan :).

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Morning all, have the pi4 4gb on way, looking for a good active fan cooling case, seen a few on the rainforest, one has quite good reviews, what cases are people using to keep this thing nice and cool? prefer one with a fan or one that keeps as cool as a fan :).

I wouldn't use the official one. I was going to post here yesterday asking about people's temps.

I've got one of the pimoroni fan shims, it's only running hassio so nothing too intensive.
- Case on with no fan and CPU hits about 80C
- Case off with fan on and CPU hits about 40C
- Case on with fan on and CPU hits about 60-65C

When we move house the pi will just sit in a comms cabinet, so not on show, which makes me tempted to drill a few holes above the fan to vent some cooler air in.

Soldato
Mine was running at 60 degrees idle and closer to 70 at load and that was in an original case. Since moving to FLIRC idle temp is now at 40 degrees and 45 at load. Forget all the fans, a FLIRC is all you need.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent power supply for a pi 3+ please that actually works as advertised? I had one that was working fine, but has since started giving me the yellow power symbol of doom. My pi is overclocked and quite often has a few controllers attached so I suppose I'm quite a heavy user. (Retro pi) Thank you all.

Permabanned
Can someone tell me what model of switch they are using to power their RPi4 please? (rackmount/fanless 8/12/16/24 port)

EDIT: Just ordered my rPi4 with case and POE Hat (Decided to get a hat instead) with a taller Hat Case!

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent power supply for a pi 3+ please that actually works as advertised? I had one that was working fine, but has since started giving me the yellow power symbol of doom. My pi is overclocked and quite often has a few controllers attached so I suppose I'm quite a heavy user. (Retro pi) Thank you all.

Use the official powersupply

Soldato
Use the official powersupply
This. Dont cheap out you will only regret it.

Can someone tell me what model of switch they are using to power their RPi4 please? (rackmount/fanless 8/12/16/24 port)
Well you need a switch that supports POE surely this is down to your personal setup and what you need additional to the Pi. Otherwise just use a PoE adaptor.

Soldato
How much power do the USB ports output on a 3B+

Also how much power do the USB ports output on the 4?

Working out which external drives will be able to run off the usb only.

Back
Top Bottom