Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
I had a look at openELEC earlier and it seems you have to compile it on a Linux box? Well the only one I have is the Pi :(

It failed as well :(
Just run a virtualbox linux install if you want to compile fro sources.

There does seem to be plenty of prebuilt images kicking around the interwebs, I've been trying a few... seems the pi is a little more sluggish than I was expecting, still its cheap..

Associate
Any micro-usb connection should work. I just got mine :D and its running from my USB 3.0 port with no issues (only running from that because no spare 2.0 ports on the front of my PC!) blog post will follow shortly - will hopefully be doing some fully featured blog posts about it soon! Probably from Monday as I have an exam.

Associate
First blog post of many that I hope to contribute!

http://rooster212.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/raspberry-pi-it-arrived.html

I need to work out a way to use my rii remote with this in RASPBMC.

I have no clue how I would get it to pair.

You'd have to attach a bluetooth module that was compatible with the operating system that you are using, then run Wii remote software on the OS. I will try it out next week and write a blog post about it cause that would be something very interesting to try out!

Associate
It says on the information it should be connected to a power supply rated at 5V dc. The Motorola power supply is 0.1V over, does it matter? Also it says for the model B the max current can be 700-1200mA, Is this the range?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just watched a film in the cinema room using the PI

Worked flawlessy in using the Raspbmc build

Streamed and skipped an paused with DTS audio fine.

Very odd for 27 quid and so small lol....The kids were in wonder! lol

Forgot to mention thsi was streamed over the network from the server too

Last edited:
Soldato
First blog post of many that I hope to contribute!

http://rooster212.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/raspberry-pi-it-arrived.html

You'd have to attach a bluetooth module that was compatible with the operating system that you are using, then run Wii remote software on the OS. I will try it out next week and write a blog post about it cause that would be something very interesting to try out!

I didn't mean a Wii remote, it's a Rii Mini, keyboard with built in touchpad and ir remote.

It's a decent bit of kit, but I'm struggling to get it to pair :(

/edit... I've just this minute got it paired, but now when I type it's like I'm typing in a console in front of the xbmc, I don't know how to close this and switch back to the xbmc inferface. But it's definite progress! lol

Last edited:
Associate
Just run a virtualbox linux install if you want to compile fro sources.

There does seem to be plenty of prebuilt images kicking around the interwebs, I've been trying a few... seems the pi is a little more sluggish than I was expecting, still its cheap..

Just started it again in a VirtualBox Ubuntu VM, lets hope this is a bit more successful! I couldn't find a pre-built one.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone know if the codes to get in the rs store to pre order can be shared? I got mine but don't plan on using it so it's free to anyone if it will work.

Does anybody know if this worked? I have a spare UK RS order code going, I already have one off farnells.

If someone wants to give it a go drop me a message in trust, the code is linked to my email address so would probably have to forward you the messages.

Associate
Yes I also have a spare code for RS Online, if you wish to use it. Not sure if you can share them between emails. It says "you will have to confirm the email as an extra security measure" so if anyone wants the code, drop me a trust message and we can try and work something out :cool:

Associate
From what I've read about and experienced myself, there are a couple of things that could stop the Pi from working:

1) Incorrect flashing of the SD Card
2) Incompatible SD Card
3) Dodgy power supply (does not provide a stable output at a high enough current)

Try swapping SD Card and power supply, and re-flashing the SD card until you find whichever causes the problem.

Soldato
can anyone recommend a wireless keyboard mouse that will work.

will any wireless keyboard mouse work ?

is this any good ?

Xenta Wireless Mini Keyboard with Touchpad and Multimedia Keys - USB

Associate
Soldato
It would seem SD cards are very inconsistent, a friend purchased a pair of identical type 6 cards (i think it was 6 anyway) from the same vendor at the same time, both were perfectly in a pc as storage devices, his pi will only boot off one of them.

Back
Top Bottom