Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Basic instructions from memory....

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_add-on_repositories

1) Download the installable ZIP for the appropriate repository
2) Put zip file somewhere locatable by your Pi (network share, USB stick, etc.)
3) In the XBMC interface select install addon from zip
4) Select the installable ZIP, this will add the repository to the addon interface
5) Navigate through the addon folders and into the new repository
6) Select the required addon and hit install

Soldato
Well I got mine today, made a quick case for it out of lego and been trying out different distros, very very impressed so far, it is surprisingly quick, boots so quick off the Class 10 Samsung SD cards I got. Need to setup the wifi dongle I got and then start messing about properly. Awesome bit of kit for £25, props to the people who came out with this idea!:cool:

Soldato
Well I got mine today, made a quick case for it out of lego and been trying out different distros, very very impressed so far, it is surprisingly quick, boots so quick off the Class 10 Samsung SD cards I got. Need to setup the wifi dongle I got and then start messing about properly. Awesome bit of kit for £25, props to the people who came out with this idea!:cool:
Just out of interest, what WiFi dongle did you get? Was it the Tenga one?

Soldato
Just out of interest, what WiFi dongle did you get? Was it the Tenga one?

Yeh it's the Tenda one which some people have had issues with, I also have a Siemens WiFi stick which uses a Athereos chip so it might be a mission to get that to work, but hopefully the Tenda one should work with a bit of fiddling.

BTW I'm guessing there is no power button? :(

Soldato
Yeh it's the Tenda one which some people have had issues with, I also have a Siemens WiFi stick which uses a Athereos chip so it might be a mission to get that to work, but hopefully the Tenda one should work with a bit of fiddling.
Tenda, Tenga? Same difference! :o:D

BTW I'm guessing there is no power button? :(
No. You pull the power cable out. Can't imagine that's brilliantly good for the SD card but meh! :p

Permabanned
Dear customer,

We are sending you this message to update you on delivery of your Raspberry Pi.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances causing a delay in the supply chain, we can't send your order just yet, but it will be despatched the week commencing 02/07/2012. You will receive a confirmation email prior to your Raspberry Pi being shipped.

We know that you have already been supremely patient, but please bear with us for a little while longer. We are sure that the wait will have been worth it once you can experience the limitless computing potential and enjoyment the Raspberry Pi offers.

Soldato
It doesnt really need one though does it :p

Tenda, Tenga? Same difference! :o:D

No. You pull the power cable out. Can't imagine that's brilliantly good for the SD card but meh! :p

Hehe Tenga sounds like a board game. :D

Pulling the power cable seems a bit tedious and can't imagine it being good for it, will wear out the micro usb socket. I've got independent switches on my power extension but again its tedious bending down under the desk to reach it. <_<

Soldato
Just realised I got a code absolutely ages ago from the very first batch, I didn't check as I also got one from Farnell in the first batch too.
If anyone wants it they can have it, but I'm not even sure if it'll still work given its about 7 weeks old now.

Soldato
Hehe Tenga sounds like a board game. :D
Sounds a little like Jenga. ;)

Pulling the power cable seems a bit tedious and can't imagine it being good for it, will wear out the micro usb socket. I've got independent switches on my power extension but again its tedious bending down under the desk to reach it. <_<
Get a remote control thingy for your power switch! :cool::p

Back
Top Bottom