Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Dear customer,

We are sending you this message to update you on delivery of your Raspberry Pi.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances causing a delay in the supply chain, we can't send your order just yet, but it will be despatched the week commencing 02/07/2012. You will receive a confirmation email prior to your Raspberry Pi being shipped.

We know that you have already been supremely patient, but please bear with us for a little while longer. We are sure that the wait will have been worth it once you can experience the limitless computing potential and enjoyment the Raspberry Pi offers.

Had this too.........

Associate
Tenda, Tenga? Same difference! :o:D

No. You pull the power cable out. Can't imagine that's brilliantly good for the SD card but meh! :p
You can still init 0 or shutdown which will cleanly unmount your filesystems for you. The only thing which annoys me about the lack of switch is that my power supply (TV service port, lol) doesn't cut out when you turn the TV off, so the RPi stays on unless I turn it off at the wall.

And as we all know, leaving a 3.5W device on all the time kills all the polar bears, or something... :p

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Got caught out by the "red power LED" last night. Powered up and was getting no video output, and only a red led, i was thinking "oh boy, RMA time...". Read the RaspPi forums, formatted an Arch ARM img onto a SD card, and voila - it booted! Very happy, time to get compiling :)

Associate
Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); E-link (AOC); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); RuncoLink (Runco International); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control#CEC

Associate
WooHoo, been asked to pre-order by Farnell. They are quoting a 'should be' August delivery.
RS have told me last week that I will be able to pre-order next Wednesday (27th) with an expected delivery of 13 weeks after that, which puts it into September.

Its interesting because i registered with Farnell a full week after registering with RS on the 21st of May.

Look like Farnell are either optimistic, or have a bigger supply / smaller demand?

Anyway, will be ordering both so can I have one to put xbmc, iplayer etc on the TV in the bedroom and one to play with.

Cant wait tbh :D

Associate
You can still init 0 or shutdown which will cleanly unmount your filesystems for you. The only thing which annoys me about the lack of switch is that my power supply (TV service port, lol) doesn't cut out when you turn the TV off, so the RPi stays on unless I turn it off at the wall.

And as we all know, leaving a 3.5W device on all the time kills all the polar bears, or something... :p

Out of interest, what TV are you using?

I've got a 4 series Samsung and was under the impression that the USB service port was only 500mA. But if it's pumping out 700+ than my dream of velcroing the Pi to the back might well come true! :p

Associate
Out of interest, what TV are you using?

I've got a 4 series Samsung and was under the impression that the USB service port was only 500mA. But if it's pumping out 700+ than my dream of velcroing the Pi to the back might well come true! :p

It's a Samsung 5 series, and it may well be only 500mA, however because I'm using a powered USB hub, the extra draw seems to be matched by this -- it's not actually something I'm particularly keen on. If you unplug the Pi's power (but not HDMI) from the TV, but leave the hub plugged in and powered on, it doesn't switch off.

I guess I could always just run a micro USB cable from the hub to the Pi, but I'm not exactly sure how that'd work.

Soldato
So...

OpenELEC is still downmixing the DTS to PCM, causing buffering/pausing every 10seconds.

The newest debian build is good, currently running Apache2 / PHP / MySQL / PHPMyAdmin on it.

However PHPMyAdmin maxes out the Pi, takes about 1-2 seconds to fresh a page on it. Standard lighter PHP scripts are fine though.

I should point out it was the first time I've ever installed the above, and I did it all quicker than my current host could get back to me regarding an issue on their server. Time for a new host!

Just ordered another Pi from RS-Online along with 2 transparent cases at £5 each, 10 week delivery though.

Also if anyone is on Quakenet IRC, join #RaspberryPi

Associate
It's a Samsung 5 series, and it may well be only 500mA, however because I'm using a powered USB hub, the extra draw seems to be matched by this -- it's not actually something I'm particularly keen on. If you unplug the Pi's power (but not HDMI) from the TV, but leave the hub plugged in and powered on, it doesn't switch off.

I guess I could always just run a micro USB cable from the hub to the Pi, but I'm not exactly sure how that'd work.

Probably not worth it then, as I'm not using a powered hub. Thanks for the quick reply, though :)

just get one of the cables that 3 supplied with their dongles, dual headed for supplying extra power.

Unfortunately there's only one USB socket on the TV, so nowhere to plug a second in.

Just got my RC6 remote working (using the walkthrough here), though, so that's good!

Soldato
Just got my code through so will get one on order. I'm guessing the waiting period is still around 4-6 weeks?

However PHPMyAdmin maxes out the Pi, takes about 1-2 seconds to fresh a page on it. Standard lighter PHP scripts are fine though.

You'd probably fair a lot better running a LEMP stack over LAMP as Nginx isn't as resource hungry. Also worth having a look on the LET (LowEndTalk) forums, loads of info on running web stacks on low resourced boxes (Lowendbox/Lowendtalk is geared more towards VPS's but would say it's still valid info considering the RPi specs). Plus there are a fair few handy install scripts for LEB webservers (http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/69894).

Back
Top Bottom