RC cars

Soldato

I got mine from Ali Express. Ran it this evening and its spot on. Gears change no problem. Theory is that Tamiya outsourced the re release to a manufacturer in China in 2012 and the manufacturer has offered this up as an rtr. There is the usual Chinese knock offs are bad mmkay but if it means I can keep my genuine cars safely on the shelf, I'm happy with it

Caporegime
I got mine from Ali Express. Ran it this evening and its spot on. Gears change no problem. Theory is that Tamiya outsourced the re release to a manufacturer in China in 2012 and the manufacturer has offered this up as an rtr. There is the usual Chinese knock offs are bad mmkay but if it means I can keep my genuine cars safely on the shelf, I'm happy with it
You're a collector though so it's perfectly understandable. Chinese stuff can be very good if you know what to buy, but as is well known it can also go the other way.

Soldato
I would go for a 1/10th scale electric buggy (or 1/18th if really short on space)

Modelsport or Apex models should be able to sort you out, are you looking for a kit or something that's ready to run? And looking to race competively / club level or just solo / casual?

Just solo to see if it's a hobby I'd enjoy, I wouldn't be against a kit to put together myself but I wouldn't want something I'm spending weeks on before I can drive it.

Thanks for the help thus far chaps, greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Just solo to see if it's a hobby I'd enjoy, I wouldn't be against a kit to put together myself but I wouldn't want something I'm spending weeks on before I can drive it.

Thanks for the help thus far chaps, greatly appreciated.
Maybe something like this? It's 18th scale - and comes in RTR, but there are lots of hopups available if needed, I would not buy from the team associated store as linked, but same kit is available from many UK retailers:

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/RC18T/RTR/

Main reason I would recomend something like a Team Associated model is that if you do choose to get a bit more serious and race at a club, the RC10 series of car - which is the big brother of the car above shares many things in common with the 18th scale RTR in terms of the size of tools you'll need + many common screw and bearing sizes. I would also recommend LosI, Yokomo, Xray and Shumacher brands alongside Team Associated - they are decent step up from the lower end Tamiya stuff, might be worth going straight in at 10th scale buggies as almost any RTR from the brands mentioned could hold its own at club level - and if looking at electric then 1/10th off road has plenty of UK clubs

Soldato
Mega RC haul. All but the 037 will be built.

41402688870_2cee4a1d5b_c.jpg

Soldato
did i miss christmas in july or something?

A mate has decided to set himself up as a shop of sorts. I already have a NiB clod and wanted to build one. The rally cars are a one make, no mod series we're running at our club. All kit parts only! The XRays I decided to give a try having run Yokomo for the last 10 years or so.

Soldato
A mate has decided to set himself up as a shop of sorts. I already have a NiB clod and wanted to build one. The rally cars are a one make, no mod series we're running at our club. All kit parts only! The XRays I decided to give a try having run Yokomo for the last 10 years or so.
So you just keeping one in a box to sell for profit later?

Soldato
So you just keeping one in a box to sell for profit later?

Unlikely any real profit can be made from Tamiya kits. Certainly the mainstream ones like the Clod.

The car in my sig would have been knocking on for £1500+ new in box before it was re-released.

Some of the kits I have are already worth much more than when I bought them but they are mostly from the smaller manufacturers.

They still a dual 540 kit?

Yes it's dual motors. I'm going to look for a couple of 19T Super Stocks to put in it :D

Soldato
Unlikely any real profit can be made from Tamiya kits. Certainly the mainstream ones like the Clod.

The car in my sig would have been knocking on for £1500+ new in box before it was re-released.

Some of the kits I have are already worth much more than when I bought them but they are mostly from the smaller manufacturers.
:D
Wow that is crazy. My dad had a tamiya juggernaut 2 for since it came out and he sold it last year for about £250 which was more than he paid for it. I can't understand why they are worth so much when the quality of them even compared to other rc cars in the early 2000's was terrible. The plastics are almost toy grade.

Soldato
The plastics are almost toy grade.

I've not found Tamiya parts to be poor quality. I've tended to regard them as better quality than FTX etc but then I've not had much experience with FTX and the smaller brands that sell more "basher" time cars.

Tamiya has made some good racers. Their TRF touring cars and off-road buggies are lovely bits of kit. The old racers like Egress and Avante, although look and build really nice, are actually pigs to drive.

Soldato
I've not found Tamiya parts to be poor quality. I've tended to regard them as better quality than FTX etc but then I've not had much experience with FTX and the smaller brands that sell more "basher" time cars.

Tamiya has made some good racers. Their TRF touring cars and off-road buggies are lovely bits of kit. The old racers like Egress and Avante, although look and build really nice, are actually pigs to drive.
I am not sure if it was just the juggernaut 2 then, all the gears in the gearbox were plastic. My dad almost took it back after he started building it because it was so poor compared to his hpi rs 4 nitro Mt! It didn't come with an electronic speed controller either. I guess the newer models may be better, but the juggernaut still was worth loads despite it being a steaming pile of poo XD

Back
Top Bottom