• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RDNA 3 rumours Q3/4 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Lol, whut? :cry:

I said HDR in windows is a joke. You can only enable it when at 4k res, so if you want ultrawide you just have to hope the game supports a resolution not set in windows. Luckily horizon zero dawn does, which looks fantastic.

What I mean is that the HDR toggle in windows won't work unless the res is 3840x2160. That's fine if you want to play games in 16x9, but not if you want ultrawide like 3840x1620. That means games need to be able to change res themselves, and not all can. I have one game (can't remember the name) which will only work in ultrawide if you set it in windows, thus no HDR.

Last edited:
Soldato
HDR in windows is a joke. You can only enable it when at 4k res, so if you want ultrawide you just have to hope the game supports a resolution not set in windows. Luckily horizon zero dawn does, which looks fantastic.
No sure about this. i have a 4k and 1440p monitor and both work with HDR. In windows 11 it Automatically comes on for supported games. PC HDR support ain't great but from my experience it certainly ain't locked to a resolution.

Soldato
No sure about this. i have a 4k and 1440p monitor and both work with HDR. In windows 11 it Automatically comes on for supported games. PC HDR support ain't great but from my experience it certainly ain't locked to a resolution.

I'm on windows 11, and really struggle with certain games. Most of the time the game won't switch to HDR unless enabled in windows.

Last edited:
Soldato
I said HDR in windows is a joke. You can only enable it when at 4k res, so if you want ultrawide you just have to hope the game supports a resolution not set in windows. Luckily horizon zero dawn does, which looks fantastic.

I read the words you wrote, no need to repeat them, but typing them out again doesn't make them any more true :p

Just tried a few different resolutions in 21:9, 16:9, 16:10 and 4:3, from 3440x1440 down to 800x600, and it works in all of them

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on windows 11, and really struggle with certain games. Most of the time the game won't switch to HDR unless enabled in windows.
Pretty much no games can enable HDR by themselves anymore, so yes you'll have to enable HDR in windows first before launching a game for HDR to work. It's a lot to do with how there's no real exclusive fullscreen mode in DX12, almost all of 'em are now a form of borderless windowed mode. IME it was only Ubisoft who gave you the option to toggle HDR from in-game but they've stopped that as well (without it being on in win first).

Soldato
Pretty much no games can enable HDR by themselves anymore, so yes you'll have to enable HDR in windows first before launching a game for HDR to work. It's a lot to do with how there's no real exclusive fullscreen mode in DX12, almost all of 'em are now a form of borderless windowed mode. IME it was only Ubisoft who gave you the option to toggle HDR from in-game but they've stopped that as well (without it being on in win first).

Yeah that's what I thought :D

Soldato
Early Christmas present for those struggling with HDR at 'non native' utrawide resolutions on a 16:9 screen. You can 100% get HDR working all the time, easily, on an Nvidia card anyway (not sure about AMD). I know this is kind of an AMD thread really, but for those on Nvidia interested......

(Note: I personally use this method on 2 separate OLED screens, both standard 3840x2160 16:9, and have done for several years)

Short version
In the NVCP enable desktop resizing and set it to 3840 x 1620. This resolution will now appear in your NVCP res options (will have an asterisk by it, along with a few others)

Long version
Creating a 'normal' custom ultrawide 21:9 res (eg 3840 x 1600) for a native 16:9 screen works in general, but the one drawback is - HDR does not work for games that are not 'native' HDR and have to have HDR turned on in Windows as discussed above.
The simple fix that makes HDR work at ultrawide res on a non native ultrawide screen - for ANY GAME - is to go to "Adjust desktop size and position" in the NVCP, tick the "enable desktop resizing" box, then the "resize" button and then drag the sliders to create a res of 3840x1620. Without going into details, this is not the same as a normal 'custom' resolution that you can create.

This res is now available for selection for anything, desktop, games, anything - and most importantly - HDR fully works and is supported.

The only caveats are:
1. Some games for some reason (Cyberpunk is one example) even though HDR works they don't adjust the aspect ratio properly in game when you select the res, and everything is squished. The simple fix for the few games that have this issue is just set your desktop to the 3840x1620 res BEFORE you load up the game.
2. Full RGB 10 bit colour does not apply with the desktop resized res. You only get 8bit with dithering. However, I've done extensive testing and I'm a real picky ****** - I see no meaningful difference or detrimental issues from running 8bit with dithering for HDR vs 'normal' 10bit colour. Also some argue that 8bit with dithering can be better as weirdly you can get less banding effects (in the sky on some games for example).

HDR in Windows has come a long way recently and is certainly not a joke. It's not perfect and should be easier and it needs some effort and thinking sometimes. Windows 11 v22h2 now also has a fully working Windows HDR calibration app that helps improve some games a bit, especially if you use Auto HDR, but Auto HDR that's another long separate story!

I'm a massive fan of HDR and even mess around with SpecialK for custom HDR for some games that don't support standard or Auto HDR. It's just better sometimes as you can fine tune it and tweak more. I personally think proper HDR is more important than ray tracing at the moment, if you game on OLED anyway or a really good HDR monitor or mini led panel.

Last edited:
Associate
For all you people that get fed up switching your games into HDR and windows HDR toggle.
Use auto actions, just set your games as profiles, and it will deal with it for you.
Auto actions
It does far more than just HDR.

Last edited:
Soldato
Long version
Creating a 'normal' custom ultrawide 21:9 res (eg 3840 x 1600) for a native 16:9 screen works in general, but the one drawback is - HDR does not work for games that are not 'native' HDR and have to have HDR turned on in Windows as discussed above.
The simple fix that makes HDR work at ultrawide res on a non native ultrawide screen - for ANY GAME - is to go to "Adjust desktop size and position" in the NVCP, tick the "enable desktop resizing" box, then the "resize" button and then drag the sliders to create a res of 3840x1620. Without going into details, this is not the same as a normal 'custom' resolution that you can create.

This res is now available for selection for anything, desktop, games, anything - and most importantly - HDR fully works and is supported.

The only caveats are:
1. Some games for some reason (Cyberpunk is one example) even though HDR works they don't adjust the aspect ratio properly in game when you select the res, and everything is squished. The simple fix for the few games that have this issue is just set your desktop to the 3840x1620 res BEFORE you load up the game.
2. Full RGB 10 bit colour does not apply with the desktop resized res. You only get 8bit with dithering. However, I've done extensive testing and I'm a real picky ****** - I see no meaningful difference or detrimental issues from running 8bit with dithering for HDR vs 'normal' 10bit colour. Also some argue that 8bit with dithering can be better as weirdly you can get less banding effects (in the sky on some games for example).
I have used this method before to good effect and far cry 6 is another game that bases aspect ratio from desktop settings like Cyberpunk. Atm I have UW added via the CRU app which also allows HDR and may work on non NV cards. 10bit should also work but I have not really done any testing on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Early Christmas present for those struggling with HDR at 'non native' utrawide resolutions on a 16:9 screen. You can 100% get HDR working all the time, easily, on an Nvidia card anyway (not sure about AMD). I know this is kind of an AMD thread really, but for those on Nvidia interested......

(Note: I personally use this method on 2 separate OLED screens, both standard 3840x2160 16:9, and have done for several years)

Short version
In the NVCP enable desktop resizing and set it to 3840 x 1620. This resolution will now appear in your NVCP res options (will have an asterisk by it, along with a few others)

Long version

The only caveats are:

HDR in Windows has come a long way recently and is certainly not a joke. It's not perfect and should be easier and it needs some effort and thinking sometimes. Windows 11 v22h2 now also has a fully working Windows HDR calibration app that helps improve some games a bit, especially if you use Auto HDR, but Auto HDR that's another long separate story!

I'm a massive fan of HDR and even mess around with SpecialK for custom HDR for some games that don't support standard or Auto HDR. It's just better sometimes as you can fine tune it and tweak more. I personally think proper HDR is more important than ray tracing at the moment, if you game on OLED anyway or a really good HDR monitor or mini led panel.

You sir are an absolute legend, have the next two days off and treat yourself to a beer!

Soldato
I have used this method before to good effect and far cry 6 is another game that bases aspect ratio from desktop settings like Cyberpunk. Atm I have UW added via the CRU app which also allows HDR and may work on non NV cards. 10bit should also work but I have not really done any testing on it.

Aye, I believe CRU allows full 10bit colour but I've honestly not bothered trying as 8bit with dithering looks just as good in games. I also had a bad experience with CRU years ago that nearly bricked a monitor so I'm a bit wary of it. Not saying the program is bad but it's not super easy to use and can look a bit intimidating.

it's weird how this simple ultrawide method for HDR isn't more widely known about. With quite a lot of people getting 4k oled HDR Tvs for gaming now, and the popularity of ultrawide gaming, it should be more publicised. You get the best of both worlds. I run 90% of my games at 3840x1620 now. It takes 25% less GPU grunt than 4k, and 21:9 is just more immersive, especially if you PC game at a desk in front of a 48" OLED. Full 4k 16:9 is just a bit too in your face sometimes. I've loved ultrawide gaming for years (had an x34 when they first came out)

You sir are an absolute legend, have the next two days off and treat yourself to a beer!

Ha, cheers bud! No problem and same to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom