• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RDNA 3 rumours Q3/4 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My first dGPU was the voodoo3 3000. Think a standard PII system before that with no dedicated expansion cards. I recall magazines to have to buy the parts, wow how far we have come.
2RTfR9q.jpg

UQGDBmm.jpg

D28bAqm.jpg

EdOSWZm.jpg

Have more need to find the rest of the boxes because the little madam likes to move things all time to keep me on my toes grrr... Some retro Pr0n for you and what Nvidia calls the first GPU there for you :D also a dual gpu ATI Rage 128pro and a Matrox card from back in the day from a compaq system clearly or baught from compaq at the time, have so many it's scary and some that are basically cga, ega, cards there is a whole load more that I keep for that one day I will stick them up on display, they all work too the ATI Rage needs the fan cable fixed back to the headers I have the bits I just wired them to a fan controller back in the day, so can control their speed manually.

Humm sure the Nvidia Geforce 256 was in that box too... grr... now going to be hunting cards tomorrow.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Brings a tear to your eye, crazy how far we've come in so little time.

It's even more mad just how the cooling systems have changed, fans and heatsinks were almost an afterthought years ago, these days the cooler is multiple slots in girth and seemingly getting bigger every few years. A gpu with an AIO is pretty much ideal, but the fact that they can't be refilled (for some weird reason) really reduces how long they can be used for in secondary systems a few years down the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
Brings a tear to your eye, crazy how far we've come in so little time.
Kids now don't realise how easy they have things and what the things can do. I can appreciate all the changes with home computers... In just over 8 weeks the big 50 for me... time flies really. But wouldn't change a thing, loved growing up threw all this and where we are today. This is why sometimes I come off grumpy to the people that didn't go threw it and start saying things like hey I remember a 1KB computer costing more than a car and even your house depending what it was ... but I do that to them to remind them these things didn't just fall out of the sky and make them appreciate them more and not take them for granted.

Sadly for some of us old ones we now see things changing but not in the same ways as before, things now get faster and faster from year to hear but don't have the same impact it did in the past as it was real changes then and new things you had never seen before, now we have seen everything thanks to CGI, they never will realise how magical something as simple as pong was and that was not even a real computer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm ready to upgrade from vega64 and 6600k soon, just waiting on this and the 3D cache on the 7000 series cpu before dropping the coin on it. Served me well for 6 years though.

Super f'n excited as my current setup struggles to run PoE at the end game. :)

Will feel like a huge upgrade coming from that now, it's good its lasted you that long and hopefully will be kept as a spare machine or handed down to someone that can make use of it or sell the bits on to people that need them.

In all my time I only ever had one motherboard failure and one DOA psu, everything else I still kept still works to this day. One good thing about pc parts they either can live forever or die early in warranty period, of course if you look after them and don't go crazy oc-ing them to the max or leaving them in an environment that will make them corrode.

Are you changing monitor too or have a decent one already ? As a good monitor makes all the difference to a new setup too, I love the super ultra wides 32:9 and the 21:9 aspect ratios on pcs now and can't go back to 16:9 on a desktop, on a laptop fine but not on a desktop.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
His analysis was specifically on the die itself. With Nvidia needing a beefier cooler to manage the heat output of ada, AMD save more per GPU breeze block than what he quoted.

That's a good point. As is his commenting on size and the use of the word "card". I think "graphics brick" and "graphics breeze block" are better terms. At this rate it'll soon be "graphics briefcase" and we'll be putting a PC in a graphics briefcase rather than putting a graphics card in a PC.
These need to be considerably cheaper than Nvidia's crazy pricing though not just £50-100 discount on what especially in the case of the 4080 is about £600 overpriced else AMD will lose further marketshare.

I don't think AMD care about the gaming/mining graphics brick market. I also don't think they would lose further market share anyway, not with a comparable product at a comparable price.

If AMD really care about market share, the first cards they should release would be the low midrange because (a) that's where most of the market is and (b) they would have a much easier goal to aim at because the competition would be only nvidia's previous gen, i.e. Ampere/3000 series.

Soldato
I don't think AMD care about the gaming/mining graphics brick market. I also don't think they would lose further market share anyway, not with a comparable product at a comparable price.

If AMD really care about market share, the first cards they should release would be the low midrange because (a) that's where most of the market is and (b) they would have a much easier goal to aim at because the competition would be only nvidia's previous gen, i.e. Ampere/3000 series.
They lost marketshare last time around with comparable products at comparable prices so maybe it's time for a different approach.

Man of Honour
I recall at work we had a unit where if you pressed a button the clockspeed went up, was it the turbo? :cry:

It was. Although that was a misleading marketing name because the button was actually the other way around. The higher clock speed was the stock for the CPU. The lower clockspeed was a deliberate throttle to maintain compatibility with software that used the CPU clock speed for timing and would fail with a CPU clock speed higher than existed when the software was written. No joke. That was really a thing in those days.

I had what was then considered a full tower case, which was a lot bigger than what's called a tower case today. I named it Goliath. It was about the same size as a very large suitcase, one too large to carry and which had to be wheeled. I mean physically too large to be carried, i.e. it wouldn't clear the ground if held at arm's length. And that was the size front to back, not the height. The case was close to hip high for me and I'm 5'10". Solid steel chassis too, so it weighed a fair bit. An absolute bugger to get upstairs to my gaming room. Anyway...it had a power lever at the front. A lever, not a button. About the size of a large postage stamp. With a very audible click when operated. More of a soft clunk than a click. Above that was a 2 digit LED display for the CPU clock speed. 2 was all you needed, since the fastest home PC CPU at the time ran at 33MHz. Mine had a 386DX-25 in it. With 1 MB of memory and a 40MB HDD larger and heavier than a housebrick. Plus two 5.25" FDD. High end kit. A HDD in a home PC? Fancy! So...that display showing the CPU clock speed. The first thing I did was poke around, as you do, and I noticed that the CPU clock speed display didn't actually display the CPU clock speed. It was referred to that way and people knew that's what it displayed, but what it really displayed was whatever the couple of dozen jumpers on the board controlling the LEDs told it to display. 5 minutes later and I had a secret prototype CPU in my PC. A not yet released special sample of a radically new design of CPU that ran at 3 times the speed of any other PC CPU. 99 MHz!

Soldato
At a time when AM5 sales are struggling due to higher costs and lower performance than the competition the last thing AMD needs is a backlash like nvidia is receiving for greedy pricing as not only will it put people off their Gpus but it will spill over and cost them CPU sales also.

Caporegime
Probably had my 9800pro at the time, think it was my last ATi card till they got bought by AMD.
I had to really struggle to remember what my last AMD card was... it was the Radeon X800 XT in 2004. I then switched to a a 6800GT in 2005 or so and have been buying Nvidia since then as they have remained the performance leader. Lets see if RDNA3 can change that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom