• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reality check, are AMD just as bad as Nvidia.

I think AMD wanted to be as bad but poor sales has meant they’ve had to adjust pricing, Nvidia are also suffering poor sales but are less inclined to drop pricing as much because AI is bailing them out for the moment.

Switching the name of 7900XT and pricing at £900 simply because Nvidia was doing the same with the 4080 12gb shown their intent and that they have the same contempt for consumers.
Haven’t AMD redeemed themselves a bit with the discounts on the 7900xt? OCuk had them for £728 so £132 discount off launch price of £899.

I’m not sure we can get 35% uplift on the 6800xt cheaper than £600 tbh- that price will probably be where the 7900xt settles tail end of 2024.

I don’t disagree with you that AMD were disingenuous with their naming to get more profit.

I don't see the problem with overpricing. It's us as consumers that have the power. Stop buying them and the price will fall.
Easier said than done if you already have a decent gpu. BUT if you don't then you got to make a decision which price point to buy at (and everywhere there is a compromise).

Easier said than done if you already have a decent gpu. BUT if you don't then you got to make a decision which price point to buy at (and everywhere there is a compromise).

Yeah. Coming back to PC gaming after a few years and my GTX 970 doesn't have many legs left in it. I'm in the group you mentioned of needing to be buy something. Either something last gen and "cheap" but nowhere near as cheap as it should be. Or decide how much I'm willing to get ripped off for X amount of performance.

Yeah. Coming back to PC gaming after a few years and my GTX 970 doesn't have many legs left in it. I'm in the group you mentioned of needing to be buy something. Either something last gen and "cheap" but nowhere near as cheap as it should be. Or decide how much I'm willing to get ripped off for X amount of performance.
Let's get it right first you don't NEED to you want to. What ever amount you choose to spend they clearly priced it right otherwise you wouldn't buy it.

Let's get it right first you don't NEED to you want to. What ever amount you choose to spend they clearly priced it right otherwise you wouldn't buy it.

Well are they though because if they were I would have bought already... and wouldn't be seriously considering a last gen or 2nd hand card.

I doubt I'm the only one that either won't or can't pay the prices. But I take your point that enough other people must be.

Low volume sales seems the be the strategy yes. Perhaps because they can't secure the silicon for high production numbers they're happy to sell less but compensate with a higher margin.

this gen is lower sales higher margins, the card that makes any sense is the 4090, its a halo product n priced like it too. if i could justify paying it,then thats only one i would get. the rest of line is pretty poor value or just plain pi55take cards

A 6700XT at around £300 would be my recommendation, its over 250% faster than the 970, has 12gb VRAM and it wont lose much resale value when you come upgrade.

I just hate the way 4090 is compared to the 3090/3090ti by all the reviewers saying how excellent it is in comparison and it's a bargain.... the best bang for buck higher end card last gen was the 3080...the 3080ti/3090/3090ti came out later in the mid of the crypto boom and were priced as a money grab. every review was 'they're crap', so why is it now the 4090 model isreviewed against them...review it against he 3080
so compared to a 3080,the 4090 is double the performance, but price is close to 250-300% more...don't get me wrong, it's a beast of a card, but hardly a bargain in price performance for generation gain
i agree with other said before, 4060 s/b 3050 replacement so 4050, 4060ti-3060 so 4060, 4070-3060ti so 4060ti, 4070ti-3070 so 4070, 4080-3070ti so 4070ti, 4090-prob 3080ti really but priced there. they canned their bigger 4090ti when they found out AMD's 7900xtx couldn't compete

read even though nvidia gpu sales are through the floor, their profit from gpu gaming sales are still up above the 3XXX release as the profit margin is so large now that they're making more money, even with less sales(and this is seperate to their sales of AI related cards). So looking for a price crash in nvidia, i just can't see it

I just hate the way 4090 is compared to the 3090/3090ti by all the reviewers saying how excellent it is in comparison and it's a bargain.... the best bang for buck higher end card last gen was the 3080...the 3080ti/3090/3090ti came out later in the mid of the crypto boom and were priced as a money grab. every review was 'they're crap', so why is it now the 4090 model isreviewed against them...review it against he 3080
so compared to a 3080,the 4090 is double the performance, but price is close to 250-300% more...don't get me wrong, it's a beast of a card, but hardly a bargain in price performance for generation gain
i agree with other said before, 4060 s/b 3050 replacement so 4050, 4060ti-3060 so 4060, 4070-3060ti so 4060ti, 4070ti-3070 so 4070, 4080-3070ti so 4070ti, 4090-prob 3080ti really but priced there. they canned their bigger 4090ti when they found out AMD's 7900xtx couldn't compete

read even though nvidia gpu sales are through the floor, their profit from gpu gaming sales are still up above the 3XXX release as the profit margin is so large now that they're making more money, even with less sales(and this is seperate to their sales of AI related cards). So looking for a price crash in nvidia, i just can't see it
People withholding their custom will eventually get desperate and cave in and pay the higher prices.

I strongly feel these prices will probably stay next gen but I hope they don’t by a miracle.

Last edited:
I have been looking at the lower end of the scale and the 3060 on OCUK is the same price as an RX7600. I find used 30xx prices are now higher than retailers probably due to the card having been purchased during the mining and scalping times.

I have been looking at the lower end of the scale and the 3060 on OCUK is the same price as an RX7600. I find used 30xx prices are now higher than retailers probably due to the card having been purchased during the mining and scalping times.
I sold a few gpus I used for mining for 1/3rd more than I paid just before the crash thankfully. Before anyone sends me hate I declared all mining as income to HMRC and have paid a tax bill commensurate with the gains. If I still had gpus I would try and mitigate losses as far as possible.

Also I would never do that again. It was too much stressful and probably spurred Nvidia to charge more.

Last edited:
A 6700XT at around £300 would be my recommendation, its over 250% faster than the 970, has 12gb VRAM and it wont lose much resale value when you come upgrade.

Thanks. But when I do a build I typically (historically at least) try to go fairly cutting edge and then live with it a few years. I'd like to be able to play current AAA titles at ultra at 1440p and with ray tracing if possible. While the 6700XT would give a massive gain over my old card at a very reasonable price it still won't give me what I'm looking for. 6800XT at £500 or 6950XT at £600 is where I'm thinking. That or play Nvidia's evil game and get a 4090 at least be happy with the performance and longevity. But I can't bring myself to pay that much.

Thanks. But when I do a build I typically (historically at least) try to go fairly cutting edge and then live with it a few years. I'd like to be able to play current AAA titles at ultra at 1440p and with ray tracing if possible. While the 6700XT would give a massive gain over my old card at a very reasonable price it still won't give me what I'm looking for. 6800XT at £500 or 6950XT at £600 is where I'm thinking. That or play Nvidia's evil game and get a 4090 at least be happy with the performance and longevity. But I can't bring myself to pay that much.
Get yourself the 6950xt mba (15% less powerful than a 7900xt but £150 cheaper) from OCUK for £599 and be happy for 4 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom