• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reality check, are AMD just as bad as Nvidia.

Everyone wants Nvidia anyway, or at least most do. the marketing is strong in them

Perhaps, but most of the serious buyers of the top end products are aware of fact over the marketing. While their pricing and nerfing of memory is seriously taking the **** they do have some genuine value adds over AMD. DLSS 2 is significantly ahead of FSR, DLSS gives the card another generational level of performance if you need it or when the card starts to become dated it'll allow you to use it for longer. FSR isn't really worth using atm. Frame Gen does seem to work well and will likely only get better. RT will probably also become better and more mainstream in upcoming years. Nvidia Drivers probably have the edge too. As well as power consumption.

To be clear I have no affinity to either brand and if anything would probably pick AMD if all were equal. But DLSS, FG, RT, and drivers do offer customers something extra.

To be fully competitive AMD need to come up with something compelling other than being a single digit % ahead in raster for a few less quid. They either need to lower prices more, be MUCH more powerful at raster, or catch up with the value add features.

Perhaps, but most of the serious buyers of the top end products are aware of fact over the marketing. While their pricing and nerfing of memory is seriously taking the **** they do have some genuine value adds over AMD. DLSS 2 is significantly ahead of FSR, DLSS gives the card another generational level of performance if you need it or when the card starts to become dated it'll allow you to use it for longer. FSR isn't really worth using atm. Frame Gen does seem to work well and will likely only get better. RT will probably also become better and more mainstream in upcoming years. Nvidia Drivers probably have the edge too. As well as power consumption.

To be clear I have no affinity to either brand and if anything would probably pick AMD if all were equal. But DLSS, FG, RT, and drivers do offer customers something extra.

To be fully competitive AMD need to come up with something compelling other than being a single digit % ahead in raster for a few less quid. They either need to lower prices more, be MUCH more powerful at raster, or catch up with the value add features.

You started well with the first line, but then parroted Nvidia's marketing exactly to justify their under performing over priced GPU's, and without a hint of irony.

Last edited:
You started well with the first line, but then prorated Nvidia's marketing exactly to justify their under performing over priced GPU's, and without a hint of irony.

Did I? DLSS quality mode for an extra 25% FPS and the extra eye candy of RT are things genuinely appealing to me. I largely PC game for graphics fidelity (and controls), otherwise I'd just use my Xbox.

I'm not justifying their sales strategy either, it's actually the reason I still haven't bought and the card currently sitting in my basket is a 6950XT.

Did I? DLSS quality mode for an extra 25% FPS and the extra eye candy of RT are things genuinely appealing to me. I largely PC game for graphics fidelity (and controls), otherwise I'd just use my Xbox.

I'm not justifying their sales strategy either, it's actually the reason I still haven't bought and the card currently sitting in my basket is a 6950XT.

Its used as a poor substitute to raw performance, cheaply made slow GPU's sold as premium products.

How about this, the 4060Ti was actually 40% faster than the 3060Ti at the same price WITHOUT the need for marting branded resolution reduction software?

Its used as a poor substitute to raw performance, cheaply made slow GPU's sold as premium products.

How about this, the 4060Ti was actually 40% faster than the 3060Ti at the same price WITHOUT the need for marting branded resolution reduction software?

The 4060 TI is a complete POS no doubt about that.

I disagree about DLSS. The 4080/90 or maybe even the 4070 TI are not cheap underpowered or non-premium GPUs. They're just insanely overpriced!! But in 3-5 years when their raw performance is waning on top titles DLSS could allow you to go another gen without upgrading. Or let you use RT if you're struggling for playable rates. RT will become mainstream eventually too. It is good and useful tech. But being sold at 30-60% above what it should be.

I'm not sure AMD are really doing themselves any favours now with their pricing either TBF. If they dropped prices 20% and think a huge majority would jump to the red side. But they're piggybacking off Nvidia's greed too.

They are all POS, with the exception of the 4090, perhaps.

But they're piggybacking off Nvidia's greed too.

Of course they are, Nvidia and AMD want the same thing but any BS AMD come up with first is instantly called out as BS.

They're just insanely overpriced!!

In this context what's the difference between overpriced and underperforming?

They can all go **** themselves. They have priced me out of buying regular upgrades. I have no idea when I will buy another graphics card, but it isn't going to be soon.

Given we now have Nvidia's full line up, pretty much, i'm going to wait to see what the rasterisation performance is on AMD's GPU's in relation to my 2070S and price.

Couldn't give a flying #### about hit or miss and depend on 3'rd party substitutes. Good Grief!

Last edited:
They are all POS, with the exception of the 4090, perhaps.

Of course they are, Nvidia and AMD want the same thing but any BS AMD come up with first is instantly called out as BS.

In this context what's the difference between overpriced and underperforming?

Raw performance Vs previous gen. The 4060TI is underforming as it's no better than what it replaced. The 4070/Ti/80/90 all perform significantly better than what they are replacing. But at higher cost / overpriced. If the 4080 was £700 people probably wouldn't complain about it at all.

Raw performance Vs previous gen. The 4060TI is underforming as it's no better than what it replaced. The 4070/Ti/80/90 all perform significantly better than what they are replacing. But at higher cost / overpriced. If the 4080 was £700 people probably wouldn't complain about it at all.

There's that marketed branding again....

The 4070Ti is 15% faster than the 3080 and.... yes its 15% more expensive. but what's in a name, right?

There's that marketed branding again....

The 4070Ti is 15% faster than the 3080 and.... yes its 15% more expensive. but what's in a name, right?

You're saying the 4070TI is really a 4080? So then what is the 4080? A 3090 replacement?

Even if the prices come down performance won't change much and you still have upscaling being pushed. Buy and pay more or buy later when the next gen is due out and prices crash again.

Do you expect prices to crash net gen?

Even if the prices come down performance won't change much and you still have upscaling being pushed. Buy and pay more or buy later when the next gen is due out and prices crash again.

Yeah, its why i singled out the 4060 series, the rest, so far, are not bad cards in of themselves, they can easily be salvaged if pricing is brought down.

All the 4060's are just bad GPU's, that's not to say they are that at any cost, but, they are just crap.

Back
Top Bottom