• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Man of Honour
At 1440p High (No RT) the 1% mins are 59.1, at 1080p it's 85.4. Looks like a classic case of GPU bottleneck to me. Frame rates tank as you add resolution or RT at the same quality level.

The performance of RT features massively depends on resolution as the more pixels the more samples you need to keep things looking nice.

Soldato
Control is the first RTX game to have compelling ray tracing. I'm still not convinced about DLSS though. I'd like to see some comparison shots of Control using regular resolution scaling with the new Sharpen filter vs DLSS.

This guy did an absolute smashing job analysing DLSS for this game. Re performance, tbh I think there's a lot of things going on which are never going to let the game breath too well. I was testing 120hz earlier and even going to 540-720p I couldn't hold steady 120 fps with a V64 without it wildly fluctuating. Luckily, not much problem for 60 fps in general, but still. There's something else going on at the engine level.

Btw, I don't know about DLSS but here's 1440p + CAS vs 4K

48636865901_ede5a13ce0_o.png
48636879191_8bb6980f55_o.png

Soldato
It is a good attempt but if you look at the text in the centre ring of the thing on the wall there is a vast difference in the amount of actual detail.

True, but that's a very small part of the scene. Didn't even notice it before you mentioned it, usually I focus on other elements.

Man of Honour
Weirdly, the detail on the back of the computer and disk drive is clearer on the CAS version.

That is because both resolutions exceed the amount of detail present in the texture used (plus viewing range) but the CAS version makes the details "pop" visually.

Soldato
Control hits 10fps on ps4 (720p)
PS4 PRO goes down to 17fps (1080P)

At 1440p High (No RT) the 1% mins are 59.1, at 1080p it's 85.4. Looks like a classic case of GPU bottleneck to me. Frame rates tank as you add resolution or RT at the same quality level.

DF think at least on consoles the 0.1% low issue is CPU or memory related, their PC video will come out later.

Part of their thought process is comparing the Xbox One S vs the PS4 - the PS4 has a much better GPU and yet it has significantly worse 0.1% lows than the Xbox One S. What's the difference then? Well the One S has faster system memory.

Has anyone done stock vs overclocked VRAM and System RAM to see if overclocking memory boosts the 0.1% lows?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
DLSS is doing a good job and at almost zero performance cost. But is it any better than 1440p with Nvidia's new CAS-style Sharpening filter?
I suspect not and so in which case replacing Tensor cores with more RT cores would be a better use of silicon.

why do you suspect not ? you have not tried it.

this game is a great showcase for RTX. its next gen here and now. I have not played a game where i spend so much time looking at the scenery around me. its a cracking game.

running on my 2080 on high preset at 4K (DLSS at 1440p setting) and RTX set to high getting around 45 to 49 fps. as someone who also plays on an xbox one x then that fps is fine for me.

Soldato
Control hits 10fps on ps4 (720p)
PS4 PRO goes down to 17fps (1080P)

DF think at least on consoles the 0.1% low issue is CPU or memory related, their PC video will come out later.

Part of their thought process is comparing the Xbox One S vs the PS4 - the PS4 has a much better GPU and yet it has significantly worse 0.1% lows than the Xbox One S. What's the difference then? Well the One S has faster system memory.

Has anyone done stock vs overclocked VRAM and System RAM to see if overclocking memory boosts the 0.1% lows?

If that's true I can't believe it's released for the consoles, that's 100% unplayable.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I’d take Radeon image sharpen over dlss anyday.

It’s biggest flaw is it doesn’t play with ultrawide resplutions
You sure? @Gregster seems to be loving DLSS and he has a ultrawide monitor. You telling me he is playing his RTX games 16:9 on his ultra wide monitor?? Lol! :p

Time to upgrade to an 4K monitor Gregster mate :D;)

Soldato
If that's true I can't believe it's released for the consoles, that's 100% unplayable.

PS4 Pro has 120ms frametimes :/ PS4 (no pro) is even worse. And that with 1080p and 720p image rendered respectively. So IQ is crap due to up-scaling

XboneX even when it does 30fps, had over 40ms frametime.

The performance is crap, considering there are good looking games doing 4K 60fps these days on XboneX!!! (F1 2019 good example).

Back
Top Bottom