1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sunshinewelly, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Hades

Capodecina

At that price I agree the 2070S is the better buy. Slightly faster and has RTX.

2. TNA

Capodecina

So when you created this thread you thought that most people on the PC game on tv’s and assumed they were lying about DLSS being crap? :p

3. melmac

Soldato

But, you don't need DLSS if you are sitting that far away from the TV. Just use a lower resolution and you would get the same result.

4. TNA

Capodecina

No! DLSS is gives free performance and makes games look much better! Nvidia make the bestest gfx! :p:D

5. melmac

Soldato

Ooopsss!! Sorry, I forgot. :p

6. sunshinewelly

Hitman

Yes you are correct nvidea do make the best gpus

7. doody

Gangster

i've tried but always out of stock :p:rolleyes:

8. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Exodus is stunning with the RTX On, i can't stop saying WOW! :D

9. HRL

Wise Guy

@melmac @TNA

Just out of idle curiosity, have either you used RT & DLSS @ 4K?

For me at least SOTTR and Metro Exodus look great with RT and DLSS on. Certainly better than using a lower resolution, I’ve tried it.

10. TNA

Capodecina

Nope. But there are loads of screenshots and videos online showing what DLSS offers and it does not live up to what it was hyped up to be and the same can be achieved without any DLSS which makes it underwhelming. Might get better yet though with better AI training. Hopefully as I will be getting a 3000 series card and it will come handy as I do game at 4K when I game.

11. Grim5

Wise Guy

Most screenshots and comparisons are zoomed in as if you eyeballs and making direct contact with the computer screen.

12. HRL

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

Yep, a big blurry mess. :rolleyes:

And that's compressed. In-game looks better.

13. Mauller

Mobster

DLSS is kind of an excuse for Nvidia to make use of the investment they made in tensor cores.

RT performance is very underwhelming and requires a lot of heavy "optimisation" to get something playable. But in the end due to the "optimisation" the final product is often low quality, even when it ways "Ultra".

If you are buying Turing, don't go buying it for RT, it's not worth it. Next gent will give much better performance, First gen AMD RT should exceed that of a 2080Ti by a nice multiple from what i have heard on the grape vine.

14. Grim5

Wise Guy

Makes sense. AMD is using's its shader cores to do Ray Tracing, while Nvidia uses RT cores to do Ray Tracing. So while nvidia cards only have a few hundred cores for ray tracing, AMD will have thousands

15. sunshinewelly

Hitman

brilliant so you post about how terrible DLSS is yet you have not even tried it yourself. The reason i started the thread in the first place was due to posters like you who attack DLSS /RTX yet have not even tried it themselves. Hopefully this thread will be of use to those sitting on the fence about whether to get this generations RTX cards. I am very glad i took the leap as metro exodus in its current form is amazing with RTX and DLSS

16. doody

Gangster

Amd path tracing is the way forward:p;)

17. james.miller

Capodecina

But dont you sit far enough away from your big screen that you cant see the difference DLSS is making ? I'm not saying that approach is wrong but I'm curious as to why you would start a thread to bemoan people who are slating DLSS when you sit too far away to see what it's doing yet you're trying convince everybody else that DLSS is great?

I dont know. The real problem with DLSS is that it's a massive programming workload for not much gain. Every game has to be coded for it, every game needs 'AI' learning which is why I think people keep mentioning Metro and not much else - because Metro is the one thats improved the most. That's great, I guess all we need to do is wait for every other game to catch up too?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  18. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Exodus was a blury mess with the DLSS at first, but after they sorted it, its now much better.

19. sunshinewelly

Hitman

I sit at round 7 foot from my TV so at 75 inches i notice a difference between full 4K and 1440p. I also notice a very small difference if using resolution scaling at 80%. (usually on text in games)

I notice no difference in metro with DLSS on or off. so for me DLSS is better than 80% scaling

20. TheRealDeal

Sgarrista

I have played Metro @ 4k on a 2080ti with RT and DLSS. With DLSS off it was slightly clearer to the eye but unplayable. With DLSS on I felt the image still looked good and RT looked good in this game. This was after the DLSS upgrade though so never got to play the blurry mess DLSS was at first. The problem with DLSS is it just doesn't work until way after launch and even in other games remains a mess. RT will come good eventually when we actually have the gpu power to get the job done without relying on DLSS and the like.