• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Man of Honour
Something does not add up here.

How can you have more detail with less?

Is the game nerfed when running native 4k?

It is the theoretical point of DLSS - that the AI can match the blurry detail to a pattern of what should be there and puts back in [closely] matching detail, which might not match the original designer intended detail 1:1 mind you.

Personally I'd rather the silicon was used for better anti-aliasing without the performance hit - the only place I see DLSS as acceptable is if it can be used to get ray traced scenes up to feasible performance while closely mimicking a higher level of detail (and even that I'd hope that was a stop gap and/or crutch to keep the low end in the game).

Soldato
Yes it is, they are using either FXAA or TAA and calling it native :p

Yeah, but, if you didn't have some kind of AA on you would have Jaggies. FXAA and TAA are a trade off, some people can't live with Jaggies some people can't stand the blur that FXAA/TAA introduces. And, If you applied some other AA technique it would reduce performance. So DLSS is better than Native, or Native with TAA or FXAA on.

Soldato
It is the theoretical point of DLSS - that the AI can match the blurry detail to a pattern of what should be there and puts back in [closely] matching detail, which might not match the original designer intended detail 1:1 mind you.

Personally I'd rather the silicon was used for better anti-aliasing without the performance hit - the only place I see DLSS as acceptable is if it can be used to get ray traced scenes up to feasible performance while closely mimicking a higher level of detail (and even that I'd hope that was a stop gap and/or crutch to keep the low end in the game).

DLSS is what you are looking for. Eventually it will get to the stage where it will be so well trained that you won't be able to tell the difference.

Look at the improvements DLSS 2.0 brought over DLSS 1.0.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah, but, if you didn't have some kind of AA on you would have Jaggies. FXAA and TAA are a trade off, some people can't live with Jaggies some people can't stand the blur that FXAA/TAA introduces. And, If you applied some other AA technique it would reduce performance. So DLSS is better than Native, or Native with TAA or FXAA on.
Yeah I get all that. Still does not make it right imo. But each to their own.

By the way, like you I am look forward to DLSS 2.0 and hope it will be in games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Dying Light 2. I also hope the rumour of DLSS 3.0 is accurate.

Soldato

The algorithm is filling in the missing pixels

your are trying to process this in your brain incorrectly. It's not that there is actually more detail, but it creates an illusion to your eyes that there is more detail. That's all DLSS is, it drops the resolution and then tries to fill in missing pixels up your native monitor resolution and it's not creating "more detail" by simply filling in new pixels your eyes belive there is more detail.

I'll give you a non gaming and non dlss example - take two of the exact same 4K TVs both displaying the same 4K resolution content and drop the contrast ratio on one TV to 1:2000 and leave the contrast ration on the other at 1:10000, now ask a group of people which TV has more detail. The answer? The TV that has the higher contrast ratio... but how? There are the same number of pixels and same level of detail BUT our eyes perceive a higher contrast ratio as having more detail, it's just an illusion of detail

Permabanned
Soldato

Because it's not more with less. The algorithm is formed from AI training on 16k images and as others have said, the "native" is being violated with TAA, the worst AA IMHO due to the blurriness it introduces.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I do wonder if the 3080Ti will be able to play those games at 4K natively with all the RTX bells and whistles without chugging along.

Been playing Control for the past week at 4K using DLSS and the lighting, reflections and shadows do add enormously to quite an otherwise bland environment. Game does look stunning in some places though. Will revisit Metro Exodus when I've got a better card as frankly @ 4K it doesn't run as smoothly as I'd like.

Associate
Lads this thread is almost 1 year old the RTX cards are almost 2 years old. I think it's safe to say RTX/DLSS didn't really work out this gen. Whatever you were promised at launch to justify the high prices hasn't really happened.
Maybe next gen :D

Soldato
Lads this thread is almost 1 year old the RTX cards are almost 2 years old. I think it's safe to say RTX/DLSS didn't really work out this gen. Whatever you were promised at launch to justify the high prices hasn't really happened.

As it has often been said, the 2 series RTX cards are a beta as far as RT goes, both in terms of hardware and software.

I've got my eye set on a 3070 which will be better at RT, but we're still at the beginning of this technology.

Soldato

we'll be set next gen - apparently both amd and Nvidia are going balls out and pushing 300 to 400w desktop gaming gpus soon so it seems they are really pushing performance

Back
Top Bottom