• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
Even if I could run a game at 144fps 3440x1440p, I'd still use DLSS 2.0, the sharpening and clarity is just mind boggling. I was instantly sold after first sampling it in Control. It's the clear way forward.

Associate
Great DLSS 2.0 in Death Stranding, this single handedly destroys native 4k while running 50% better.
Before "but TAA blurs bla bla", disable it and play in jaggyville. You want a stable image that looks better than 4k native? DLSS delivers that while running better.

Hope AMD have something similar for next-gen consoles or my ps5 will get old even faster than i expected. And no FidelityCAS ain't it. That's just sharpening making everything even more jaggy than native 4k.

OwLvAk1.png

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Great DLSS 2.0 in Death Stranding, this single handedly destroys native 4k while running 50% better.
Before "but TAA blurs bla bla", disable it and play in jaggyville. You want a stable image that looks better than 4k native? DLSS delivers that while running better.

Hope AMD have something similar for next-gen consoles or my ps5 will get old even faster than i expected. And no FidelityCAS ain't it. That's just sharpening making everything even more jaggy than native 4k.

OwLvAk1.png
Grim5, is that you? :p:D

Soldato
Another fantastic implementation of DLSS 2.0 (probably the best one so far!), not that the AMD haters will care. This tech just keeps getting better with each new game.

And as pointed out - go watch the digital foundry video, they compared native with TAA turned off vs DLSS 2.0 and DLSS 2.0 clearly looks better than Native with no TAA.

Soldato
here are some comparisons.

Left = 4K native no AA applied
Right = 4K native with TAA + Fidelity FX Sharpening applied
Middle = 4K DLSS 2.0 on Quality Mode

P.S: The middle one looks the best has 50% higher frames per second than the other two

DS-Comparison-scaled.jpg

Associate
Another fantastic implementation of DLSS 2.0 (probably the best one so far!), not that the AMD haters will care. This tech just keeps getting better with each new game.

And as pointed out - go watch the digital foundry video, they compared native with TAA turned off vs DLSS 2.0 and DLSS 2.0 clearly looks better than Native with no TAA.
Well DLSS 2.0 seems to work better than 1.0 could have hoped for, just two years too late! I'd be annoyed if I'd bought a 2080ti and this was just arriving now given this was sort of what was expected a few month after launch.

Associate
Ah remember the days when we used to render at a higher resolution on our 1080p monitors, now look at us applying the same level of cheats as consoles to get good frame rates:p

Soldato
So I just had a little playthrough in Division 2. I'm currently on a 1440p screen and with a slight sharpness filter from the driver package I thought to myself "darn everything is razer sharp and detailed". Then I remember that Last stranding Nvidia demo and after watching it again I'm astounded that the non DLSS capture can look that blurry and lifeless in 4k compared to my 2k result although from another game. Makes me wonder about that lovely bundled black box software that is included in the game.

Soldato
So I just had a little playthrough in Division 2. I'm currently on a 1440p screen and with a slight sharpness filter from the driver package I thought to myself "darn everything is razer sharp and detailed". Then I remember that Last stranding Nvidia demo and after watching it again I'm astounded that the non DLSS capture can look that blurry and lifeless in 4k compared to my 2k result although from another game. Makes me wonder about that lovely bundled black box software that is included in the game.
It was the same with PhysX. It was pointed out by some here, games would remove all normal physics animations to exaggerate the effect of enabling PhysX. This is because people always go by relative metrics without comparing across games which is exacerbated by reviewers doing the same.

Soldato

That's because the TAA of TD2 is actually better than DLSS (and I'm talking upsampling); and as an aside TD2 is probably the most overall technically accomplished title this generation, not just for graphics. That's what a lot of people are missing - the TAA in games like Control are beyond abysmal. Same for TAA of UE games. And then you add CAS that's now at a driver-level for both vendors, because DLSS already comes with sharpening pre-installed but curiously no "reviewer" dares show TAA+CAS when comparing to DLSS, and it's no longer such a big difference. When you compare to crap you look good, but when you compare to the best then it's no longer so magical. ;)

Like I said from the beginning, DLSS 2.0 messes with sharpening and contrast and that's what's messing people up and they start thinking it's the reconstruction process which is magical. Nvidia, being the masters of marketing, have simply learned to focus on perception. Just like how oversaturating colours yields a more pleasant image for most people so does adding sharpening and increasing contrast. Never mind that it's distorting the reference.

And forget about outlets like DigitalFoundry covering the glaring weaknesses of DLSS such as particles, or in DS's case - rain drops disappearing with DLSS compared to even TAA. Amongst other things.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That's because the TAA of TD2 is actually better than DLSS (and I'm talking upsampling); and as an aside TD2 is probably the most overall technically accomplished title this generation, not just for graphics. That's what a lot of people are missing - the TAA in games like Control are beyond abysmal. Same for TAA of UE games. And then you add CAS that's now at a driver-level for both vendors, because DLSS already comes with sharpening pre-installed but curiously no "reviewer" dares show TAA+CAS when comparing to DLSS, and it's no longer such a big difference. When you compare to crap you look good, but when you compare to the best then it's no longer so magical. ;)

Like I said from the beginning, DLSS 2.0 messes with sharpening and contrast and that's what's messing people up and they start thinking it's the reconstruction process which is magical. Nvidia, being the masters of marketing, have simply learned to focus on perception. Just like how oversaturating colours yields a more pleasant image for most people so does adding sharpening and increasing contrast. Never mind that it's distorting the reference.

And forget about outlets like DigitalFoundry covering the glaring weaknesses of DLSS such as particles, or in DS's case - rain drops disappearing with DLSS compared to even TAA. Amongst other things.
chris85oc I mean Grim5 will take issue with this post :p:D

Soldato
It's like Coca-cola you get in a can/bottle vs the Coke you get from fast food joints made from Coca-cola syrup

Not that the latter can't taste good, but the way the comparison is carried out is comparing between the fast food joint Coca-cola before applying the syrup (which would taste horrible) and after applying the syrup to exaggerate how good it taste, rather than comparing to the how Cola-cola from a can/bottle taste :p

Soldato

Just two things, The Digital Foundry video above does compare Cas + TAA to DLSS 2.0. Several other sites have the same comparisons and conclusions. DLSS 2.0 does have problems with artifacts, fidelityfx has a problem with aliasing. (you know fidelityFx is CAS, right?)

And it's AMD that does the oversaturating colours. That's why you have people who say they prefer the AMD image quality. There is no difference, it's just the AMD oversaturated colours are more pleasing to the eye.

EDIT: Just want to add that Both FidelityFx and DLSS 2.0 are better than Native in this game. Both offer improved performance. As long as both continue to improve then that's good for everyone.

Last edited:
Associate
Wonder how people prefer AMD's oversaturating colors. It's bad for photo editing / illustrator / etc. Also for gaming in HDR on an OLED, would work horribly with that. WCG is a thing but i guess might as well stick to SDR and limited color gamut cause everything will look like a rainbow anyway.

Also,
DLLS vs CAS + TAA at 1080p.. it's a joke really. Can you guess which is which?

nCmlCbw.jpg
djfNV5l.jpg

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wonder how people prefer AMD's oversaturating colors. It's bad for photo editing / illustrator / etc. Also for gaming in HDR on an OLED, would work horribly with that. WCG is a thing but i guess might as well stick to SDR and limited color gamut cause everything will look like a rainbow anyway.

Also,

nCmlCbw.jpg
djfNV5l.jpg
Already played that game with you before mate :p

Soldato

Also,

Now go take footage of rain scenes and let's compare. ;)

Associate
Already played that game with you before mate :p

Sorry what? Anyone with an RTX card can try both themselves, what "game" are you talking about? The denial game? Also, again, i'm not someone else's alt account.

@Poneros Yes, rain and in general particles will be better by not using DLSS. It's one of the disadvantages of reconstructing an image using Deep Learning. Does that invalidate everything else? No. Does that make FidelityFX better? No. The screenshots show everything there is to show. Again, anyone with an RTX card can try both at 1080p and see how each tech works. DLSS actually reconstructs the image, FidelityFX only sharpens and upscales. The wires and generally any edges are a mess without DLSS.

Same thing happens at 4k, both techs work the same as they do at 1080p. Obviously there's more pixels to work with so the wires won't look discontinued like in 1080p with FFX but the shimmering is horrible even there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom