Recommend me metal bands (short list included)

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
Botu alexisonfire or are they not metal?

WTF at that thrice comment...
Illusion of safety is better and more metal than vheissu...

Soldato
A5H said:
Botu alexisonfire or are they not metal?

WTF at that thrice comment...
Illusion of safety is better and more metal than vheissu...

Vheissu is a far better album (I don't think much of the other Thrice albums, they just sound really unrefined) they've found a sound which actually suits them, and they sound much more mature for it.

Alexisonfire aren't metal, but from his choices he may well like it.

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
Carzy said:
Vheissu is a far better album (I don't think much of the other Thrice albums, they just sound really unrefined) they've found a sound which actually suits them, and they sound much more mature for it.

Alexisonfire aren't metal, but from his choices he may well like it.

No way... I'd say Vheissu is the weakest...

Illusion of safety is awesome... It's filled with absolutely stunning riffs...
Artist in the ambulance is pretty poppy... But it's good...

I'm off to see them in January, vs coheed with circa survive as support...

Oh yeah, thread guy, you might like coheed and cambria. Probably not circa survive though...

Soldato
A5H said:
No way... I'd say Vheissu is the weakest...

Illusion of safety is awesome... It's filled with absolutely stunning riffs...
Artist in the ambulance is pretty poppy... But it's good...

I'm off to see them in January, vs coheed with circa survive as support...

Oh yeah, thread guy, you might like coheed and cambria. Probably not circa survive though...

Each to their own I guess. I definitely want to see Coheed vs Thrice, will be an awesome gig, unfortunately I'll have to travel all the way to London while I'm at uni in Notts to see it :/ Will be good to see Coheed blow Thrice away unless Thrice have improved since I saw them at Reading 2004 :p

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
Carzy said:
Each to their own I guess. I definitely want to see Coheed vs Thrice, will be an awesome gig, unfortunately I'll have to travel all the way to London while I'm at uni in Notts to see it :/ Will be good to see Coheed blow Thrice away unless Thrice have improved since I saw them at Reading 2004 :p

I heard thrice were tight as you like... And that was comign from a friend with a record deal/album in shops. Not just some random guy...

Soldato
alexisonfire are about as metal as Steps. Not a bad band though, defininatly loving the 'geeky' look too much now though.
Coheed vs Thrice will be decent i'd have thought, but now both these bands are currently very scene, the gigs will be full of people who are the bane of my existance so I might not enjoy it as much as Coheed and Mae earlier this year (even though Mae are a poor poor band.)

Hmm, i'm going to reccomend
Caliban
Sonata Arctica (pure power metal - cheesy as hell in some instances but amazing in others)
Metallica - Seriously, give them a try - Any album except St Anger (pure ****) and Garage inc (not a bad album, but not 'tallica's songs)
Children Of Bodom (not sure if it's pure metal really, it's kinda that weird goth crossover metal thing - still good though)
Coal Chamber
Type O Negative
Soil
Bullet for my Valentine (yeah yeah more metalcore than metal but whatever)
Stutterfly
Dragonforce

Soldato
A5H said:
I heard thrice were tight as you like... And that was comign from a friend with a record deal/album in shops. Not just some random guy...

So have The Cheeky Girls.....point? Thrice weren't awful, but they were far from good also. That's the case with a lot of the current scene bands - their albums are overproduced and sound half decent, but when it comes down to it live they just can't cut it. I've seen quite a few of these bands (mostly recently) and technically live they are, quite frankly, embarrassing.
I think they just hope for the 'fans' (and I use that word with caution) to do so much 'hardcore dancing' that they don't actually listen to the music they produce.
On the other hand, some new bands that have come into fruition with the new scene explosion are amazing live. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
fus said:
So have The Cheeky Girls.....point? Thrice weren't awful, but they were far from good also. That's the case with a lot of the current scene bands - their albums are overproduced and sound half decent, but when it comes down to it live they just can't cut it. I've seen quite a few of these bands (mostly recently) and technically live they are, quite frankly, embarrassing.
I think they just hope for the 'fans' (and I use that word with caution) to do so much 'hardcore dancing' that they don't actually listen to the music they produce.
On the other hand, some new bands that have come into fruition with the new scene explosion are amazing live. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Fair enough... But the cheeky girls aren't a band... :p

Soldato
A5H said:
Fair enough... But the cheeky girls aren't a band... :p

I never said they were, but you never said your friend was in a band either. I was merely saying that having a recording contract/record in shops doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about when it comes to music.

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
fus said:
I never said they were, but you never said your friend was in a band either. I was merely saying that having a recording contract/record in shops doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about when it comes to music.

I would say it does...
Have a listen to my favourite co-pilot or stories and comets...

Soldato
A5H said:
I would say it does...
Have a listen to my favourite co-pilot or stories and comets...

Are you serioulsy not seeing my point? I'm saying that just because your friend has a recording contract or whatever doesn't qualify his opinion about a live band to be above Carzy's. In fact, knowing Carzy's love for music i'd say his opinion is probably more justified, in my eyes, that your friends. I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, but, I doubt because of his recording contract it's somehow made him the worlds best music critic.

Also, I saw Thrice at the same gig, and they weren't tight at all to be honest.

And What is 'My Favourite Co-Pilot or Stories and Comets'?

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
2 bands...

If someone is in the industry then IMO they know the crack...

I can see you're not gonna agree, just because of pride... But whatever...

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
No you havn't... I just mean I don't think you would anyway...
I'm just saying I disagree with that guy as I was told by someone I know knows about music... If you get me... Sorry I suck at putting a point across without looking arrogant...

Ash

Soldato
Listened to 'Stories and Comets'

I've gotta be honest, to me it sounds a little bit generic. A mixture between From Autumn to Ashes for the screaming, and The Juliana Theory for the vocal part, although sometimes the vocal sounds very Davey Havoc esque (AFI is the band if you want to check what i'm on about).

I'm not saying that it's bad, and if it was released now due to the scene, it would probably do well, but it just sounds like another emo band to me. OK, emo with splashes of hardcore to be more precise, but just like every other mediocre band in the genre they all follow the same pattern in the songs, with a very similar vocal. There's nothing there to distinguish them from any of the other middle-of-the-road bands. Listen to some 'The Blood Brothers' or 'GlassJaw' for how the vocal can be made unique to make the tracks sound different.
Also, no real technical skill (well, any evidence of it) when playing the guitar on any of the tracks which I was able to listen to, though the bass player seems to have some skill. Not saying the skill isn't there, but on the teaser tracks it's not apparent.
All in all, I probably wont buy the album, but if it came on the radio I wouldn't turn it off.

Soldato
A5H said:
No you havn't... I just mean I don't think you would anyway...
I'm just saying I disagree with that guy as I was told by someone I know knows about music... If you get me... Sorry I suck at putting a point across without looking arrogant...

Ash

Surely seeing as music as subjective your entire point falls flat on it's face. Furthermore there's more to a live act than "being tight", I'm sure a lot of bands are technically very tight on stage, but it still won't make them good live. Bands need stage presence and charisma alongside being tight. Thrice were bland musically, and boring to watch.

fus said:

Indeed, I agree wholeheartedly.

A5H, you said "Fair enough" when fus said the above, which means you agree with his points surely? Or at least can see the validity of them. Then you go on to say that your mate having a record contract/being in the shops, makes his opinion more valid than mine. The fact the Cheeky Girls aren't a band is irrelevant. How about Busted? They were a band. You really think that they would be better judges of a live performance than someone who is into the music scene and goes to a LOT of gigs for that type of music (i.e. me, fus etc) And I'm not saying I would be a better judge myself than a member of Busted, but I am saying neither has the more valid opinion. Some members of the crowd were lapping up Thrice when I saw them, but I saw them in a different light.

A5H said:
2 bands...

If someone is in the industry then IMO they know the crack...

I can see you're not gonna agree, just because of pride... But whatever...

For the first two sentences see the paragraph above. In response to the final point, I fail to see how it is at all a matter of pride...?

fus said:
so I might not enjoy it as much as Coheed and Mae earlier this year (even though Mae are a poor poor band.)

Good stuff, once again I agree. I spoke to quite a few people who went to that gig on some other forums, and they loved Mae :confused: As you've said, they were DIRE (but then I guess you know what I'm talking about, when I say that at that gig the "scene" kids were loving every second of that generic tripe :p).

Soldato
Carzy said:
Good stuff, once again I agree. I spoke to quite a few people who went to that gig on some other forums, and they loved Mae :confused: As you've said, they were DIRE (but then I guess you know what I'm talking about, when I say that at that gig the "scene" kids were loving every second of that generic tripe :p).

I have to admit I didnt know much about them before I went to that gig (Only hearing 'The Everglow') but I did some research and found out a bit more about them, finding out exactly what 'Mae' represented (oh how ironic) and hearing a bit more of their music. I wasn't expecting much, and even then I was dissapointed. Bland, emotionless and dull. It was a good job Coheed made up for it. :)

Associate
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour

It has to be the album of 2005 for me, great vocals and the guitar work is most superb! Their older albums are also most excellent. I cant pimp this band enough.

Also check out Annihilator, I'm just listening to their new album "Schizo Deluxe" now and it rocks. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom