Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

So - im right at the start. Trying to take shotgun out of saddle bag. Can take it but I put my pistol back.

I have seen videos of people switcing between pistol and shotgun so know they can be carried together. Just cant figure out how to make it happen.

Is carrying both locked out as Im still in the tutorial?

I think it's for the purpose of the tutorial, no issues switching between a few weapons in the meat of the game

Not sure why so many are having trouble with the shooting controls - it's identical to GTA - you need to keep 'reaiming' by releasing the aim button and pressing it again to 'select' the enemies, not hold it down and try to move the reticle over people. It's easier than most third person games IMO.

I think most of us want to actually free aim though than use some cheesey auto aim mechanic repeatedly, it would just become stale doing every kill like that.

I think most of us want to actually free aim though than use some cheesey auto aim mechanic repeatedly, it would just become stale doing every kill like that.
None of the GTA games or the previous RDR were playable like that though, that's just how the shooting mechanics work. Anyone expecting any different I think was being overly hopeful, they weren't going to overhaul the core mechanics of the engine.

Aiming is OK, it's movement that is poor. Call me old fashioned, but I'm used to pressing a direction and the character moves in that direction. Not press a direction and the game thinks about it for 2 seconds then moves, then stops another 2 seconds after you let go.

I know it was the same in Gta... And it was bad then too.

As I say though, first person mode plays much better

Breaking news as aiming on a console turns out to be slower than on PC :p. If I want perfect point and click then I use a computer. This is a story based game, like Skyrim etc.

Seriously every RS game has been the same. Anyone expecting different was having a special moment.

Then why would they bother with a free aim option :p

Surely a Wild West game would focus on having excellent gun play that wasn’t cheesed, lots of the folk who got to play it early were banging on about just how much better the gun play was and in reality it’s no different...

The free aim could absolutely work if the settings were better done.

Last edited:
The free aim is to give you control over aim assist, it works well with practice. Free aim is not meant to make aiming as good as a mouse on pc. Console limitation, but again it works well with practice.

The free aim is to give you control over aim assist, it works well with practice. Free aim is not meant to make aiming as good as pc games.

I’m not saying it would ever work as well as PC gaming, just that it could be improved, alas any criticism of the game seems to have people jumping to its defence :rolleyes:

I’ve already stated it’s still absolutely fantastic and any studio would struggle to get as many areas working as well as Rockstar have, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement.

I’m not saying it would ever work as well as PC gaming, just that it could be improved, alas any criticism of the game seems to have people jumping to its defence :rolleyes:

I’ve already stated it’s still absolutely fantastic and any studio would struggle to get as many areas working as well as Rockstar have, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement.

Oh yeah for sure, maybe engine limitations and the amount of power the game needs to run. It would be nice to have fast accurate aiming like overwatch etc. But I don't think it can be done with this type of game.

The thing I hate is sometimes trying to loot a chest and you have to circle around to align yourself better to get the prompt.

Fishing is awesome!

Bloody hell... The horse that had been hanging around me for ages and occasionally follows me has moved to the new camp!

Last edited:
While I love this game, I feel I’m starting to get a bit fatigued. And I’m only 21% in :/ maybe it’s just the game throwing too much at me at once. Either that or I’m getting old :p

Back
Top Bottom