Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Like many of us have been saying over the last 5 or so days, HDR is broken in this game, met with the response “it’s your tv as mine looks amazing”. Many people don’t understand what HDR actually is or look like, so running vibrant panels in their eyes equates to it’s working “great on my tv” :rolleyes:

Hopefully something forces Rockstar to sort this mess out and while they’re there, do something with the rubbish checkerboarding.

Presume that’s a dig at me.... :) You do seem to have an issue with the fact I don’t have an issue...

I fully understand what HDR is and it looks great on my TV with a noticeable difference with it enabled. Not sure what vibrancy has to do with it though my panel is OLED and is set up to give a very natural image.

I agree it’s not the best usage of HDR in a game but it certainly makes a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Well had my first game crash last night just after I cleared a camp and picked the big double barrelled shotgun up :eek: big blue screen with error code never seen that before on vanilla Ps4 ,it restarted back ok though but missed out on looting the camp and dead guys though :(

Yeah I’ve got an LG OLED B7. Honestly I don’t have a great eye for this sort of thing. I only play Fifa and RDR2 on console. When I watch football and movies etc at 4K it looks stunning, best TV upgrade I’ve ever made. I don’t really know what to compare games too, so don’t really have a reference.

I can kinda see what people mean about the “washed out” look. Does seem slightly grey tinted but still looks stunning. I have no idea how to fix anything like that so imagine I’ve got used to it.

I’m using an OLED panel too. What settings are you using mate? I’d be interested to see if ours are similar or if I can improve my image. Just so I get what everyone’s talking about.

I posted my settings a page back. Mine is a B6 though so might be a bit different to yours.

When I was playing and went on the hunt with the guy to hunt the Legendary Bear I lost track of him so went back to the story. So I decided last night to go back and try my luck. So I found the broken sticks, found the bear dung, then seen the bear and heard it growl. So I decided to sneak about in an attempt to take him out from a decent distance... Forgetting that bears have a very good sense of smell and predatory instinct... Biiiiiiig mistake :D the sense of "Oh I am screwed" when it spotted me and charged then started to rip me to shreds was intense. :eek:

The sense of atmosphere the game has is astonishing and the characterisation of EVERY NPC is some of the best I've ever seen in a game, but by god does the gunplay fight me at every opportunity. Doesn't feel like there's any natural ebb and flow to encounters and using a bow on the back of a horse is completely pointless. Might just be my game, but my bow is never allowed to be fully drawn on horseback, drives me insane.

Sat down for another quick 30 minutes before bed, next thing.. it's 1am. Just loving the variety of activities and the interactions, from trouncing gentlemen at poker to robbing trains (although that didn't go so well).

Some of my top tips for new-ish players (only gameplay, no story spoilers but just-in-case):

• Wear your mask, it's easy to forget it. Folk don't like it, they'll question you all the time, which is amusing in itself. But keeping your identity secret is a major boon, especially if you accidentally run someone over with your horse or rob a train.
  • I had a huge bounty at one point, which I didn't fancy paying. I went on the run for a bit and then walked back into the sheriff's office with my mask on, took it off, antagonized the lawman, who promptly threw me in jail. When I'd paid my dues my bounty was gone and I wasn't any lighter on cash. Not sure if this is how the mechanic should work, but certainly felt better than losing all my ill-gotten gains.
  • Keep a cold weather outfit on your horse (go to change clothes in the camp by your tent and there's an option to store outfits on your horse. I think you can store 3 max).
  • Upgrade your camp, fast travel, increased contributions from the AI etc are very useful

Last edited:
Sat down for another quick 30 minutes before bed, next thing.. it's 1am. Just loving the variety of activities and the interactions, from trouncing gentlemen at poker to robbing trains (although that didn't go so well).

Some of my top tips for new-ish players (only gameplay, no story spoilers but just-in-case):

• Wear your mask, it's easy to forget it. Folk don't like it, they'll question you all the time, which is amusing in itself. But keeping your identity secret is a major boon, especially if you accidentally run someone over with your horse or rob a train.
  • I had a huge bounty at one point, which I didn't fancy paying. I went on the run for a bit and then walked back into the sheriff's office with my mask on, took it off, antagonized the lawman, who promptly threw me in jail. When I'd paid my dues my bounty was gone and I wasn't any lighter on cash. Not sure if this is how the mechanic should work, but certainly felt better than losing all my ill-gotten gains.
  • Keep a cold weather outfit on your horse (go to change clothes in the camp by your tent and there's an option to store outfits on your horse. I think you can store 3 max).
  • Upgrade your camp, fast travel, increased contributions from the AI etc are very useful

There really should be a hotkey for equipping the mask... Maybe there is...

I was jumped by 3 gang members and killed them all. Then I had a 2 dollar bounty come up for animal cruelty because I accidentally shot one of the horses they were on!

I saw your picture of the settings you have off, that’s all standard for gaming. I meant your OLED brightness, colour etc :).

I posted my series 7 series oled settings a few pages back. It's what I use generally for my hdr viewing. It's great on most content. Rdr2 is subtle though even with the calibration adjustment given the issues identified with hdr but meh it looks fine enough.

Back
Top Bottom