Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Caporegime
Not that I could see. That's why I'm asking :)

I have a £15 bounty in Saint Denis because I bumped a lady on my horse. Some guy took offence on her behalf... and attacked me. I panicked a little and started pressing some buttons, the first thing I did was kick a dog walking past me... *ding* 'Animal Cruelty'... $15!

Haha, I know the pain.

Another couple of things that have irritated me;

1. Someone gobs off at you, then starts attacking you in a town - you fight back and get done for murder/assault
2. Killing bounty hunter dogs counts against your honour :/

Minor issues granted, in an otherwise fantastic game thus far.

Soldato
I don't find it boring, but some of the aspects of the gameplay have the potential to become pretty tedious...puting hides on your horse, getting them off then walking over and putting them down again. The way you have to get weapons off your horse every time. Changing clothes from your horse too.

Alright at the moment, but I'm not sure I want to do it for 100 hours!

Associate
Yes I agree, I have no issue with it being slower - especially as the first was similar.

Same, it's nice to just pick it up and continue for an hour in between baby feeds and real life stuff. I think other than the controls being occasionally awkward it's a superb game and it isn't comparable to games people are comparing it to. It stands out as the most visually stunning game this console generation and shows the gap between console and PC is nowhere near what PC gamers try to make out. Once we hit 4k 60fps there will be no comparison other than price of systems / builds. No doubt there will be further patches over the next 2 months which will smooth out the very few teething issues that Sony have had with blur and HDR.

Soldato
Not had much chance to play over the weekend but got settled near Valentine and done a few missions, ended up spending 2 hours last night making my way back from where I left it the night before, but got sidetracked hunting, foraging, "accidentally" shooting carriage riders and making a point of wearing the hat of each kill! Finally got back & started the first Bounty Mission as 1am hit, I don't think I'll be progressing through this as quickly as I did RDR!

Soldato
Suffered my first death last night (well, technically my 2nd but I'm not counting missing the back of the train due to one of my associates knocking me off balance while jumping!) - was on the lookout for some deer and saw something move in the undergrowth - next thing I know I've been mauled to death by some sort of cougar/puma! :D

Soldato
Suffered my first death last night (well, technically my 2nd but I'm not counting missing the back of the train due to one of my associates knocking me off balance while jumping!) - was on the lookout for some deer and saw something move in the undergrowth - next thing I know I've been mauled to death by some sort of cougar/puma! :D

I feel like cougars and bears are more lethal in this than the original - I swear they just "1 shot" you if you let them jump at you!

Caporegime
I think that the graphics are awesome and the physics and amount of interactivity has probably reached a new benchmark for games but combat lets the gameplay down to the point where you're better off just avoiding gunfight situations altogether. The combat side of things isn't even half as enjoyable as games like Horizon Zero Dawn which is a shame. The game would probably really benefit from 60fps and a keyboard and mouse or else they needed to tone down the AI for the consoles.

It's also annoying as hell having someone jump in front of your horse and then being wanted for assault.

Soldato
I have died loads tbh the combat is crap. Tougher enemies can just take more shots to the head. I had one where I snuck up on a guy fired 3 shots into his head and he still turned around and killed me without as much as a twitch.... lol...

My horse is also constantly drunk and keeps falling over or running into trees and firing me off.

Associate
Played for 2 hours saturday had a headache since then. The ps4 pro version on a 4k tv is a blur to me i cant focus on it, why cant we just have a clean crisp 1080p setting. Gow and horizon weren't like this.

Pet Northerner
Don
Enjoying what little I've played. I've spent the past few days having anxiety attacks so haven't had the energy to concentrate and I didn't want to play just because.

Looking forward to getting some time in once I'm back to normal :)

Caporegime
Played for 2 hours saturday had a headache since then. The ps4 pro version on a 4k tv is a blur to me i cant focus on it, why cant we just have a clean crisp 1080p setting. Gow and horizon weren't like this.

Someone else has mentioned you can force 1080p for a sharper image on the PS4, only issue is whilst it's sharper it probably makes it look worse due to the lower resolution.

Caporegime

Force the game to run at 1080P on the ps 4 pro, supposedly a lot better.

But yup, I'm having to play in short stints now as the blur and 30 fps is making my eyes blood shot :p

Really hoping we will see a 1080P @ 60 FPS option but knowing rockstar, they will probably withhold this util the PC version arrives......

Caporegime

Reading around it sounds like the HDR is messed up and makes the game look washed out, a lot of people are turning it off.

Soldato
Caporegime
HDR off does make the game more vibrant and slightly "better" looking (by better looking I mean more "pop" to it, however, HDR on is more realistic/natural looking [go somewhere where it is a clear blue sky and the game will look vibrant]), however, there is then bad black crush/contrast issues especially at night time so detail etc. is being lost, can even just tell by looking at the settings menu and the difference in colour as well as the little blodges/lines that are completely removed with SDR mode.

Someone else has mentioned you can force 1080p for a sharper image on the PS4, only issue is whilst it's sharper it probably makes it look worse due to the lower resolution.

Not tried it myself yet but 1080P gaming from my PC is FAR sharper/more detailed than RDR 2 currently, even TLOU 2 in 1080P mode looks far better sharpness/clarity wise.

From reading around, it just seems to be a combination of things, motion blur, TAA along with botched checker boarding, overly done depth of field, bloom & chromatic aberration. Wish more games on consoles give options to at least turn of things like CA + motion blur.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom