Reddit is dying

Is anyone else having problems on reddit recently, especially using the reddit app?

It seems I've been removed from all communities, even though they are still listed in My communities. If I select one it unsubs me.

The subscribed communities don't show up in any feed.

I've noticed all notifications and messages have gone too.

What a poop show.

Is anyone else having problems on reddit recently, especially using the reddit app?

It seems I've been removed from all communities, even though they are still listed in My communities. If I select one it unsubs me.

The subscribed communities don't show up in any feed.

I've noticed all notifications and messages have gone too.

What a poop show.
Ok, so I fixed this by logging out of the app and back in again.

It was difficult to find where the logout is.

This video helped

This seems the be the latest thread about Reddit so I'll post in here. I've been aware of reddit for a long time but only started using it (beyond random google searches) over the past year. Because it has so many users and different active subreddits, I'm finding myself getting sucked in to posting on numerous subjects from around 5-10 key subreddits and wasting far too much time there (says someone who's been on these forums for over 20 years!).

I need some middle ground I think where there is more activity than OcUK on niche subjects but where it isn't a full time job keeping up with all the posts. First world problems and all that, but does anyone have any recommendations (beyond just ignoring reddit, e.g. any large forums that fall somewhere in between here and Reddit)?
Reddit discussions are dominated by the narrative set by a few ‘high scoring’ posts. Conversations can’t easily evolve behind that and good posts just disappear into nowhere.

For the record, I have saved the world on Reddit numerous times and never got any likes, so I’m duly mad.
I agree the combination of upvoting and threading seems to basically drown out lots of good posts, and it doesn't even feel that easy to navigate. I'm never really sure whether to reply directly to a given post or to the cascading chain below it. I generally prefer a flat structure although to be fair even that tends to lead to the earliest/most recent posts getting more attention than random ones on page 7 of 26. The voting system in general appears to be a massive echo chamber where person A gets lots of upvotes and person B gets lots of downvotes for saying fundamentally the same thing. Plus if you explain how something unpopular works (i.e. the rationale behind it e.g. why evil corporation XYZ has taken the decision they have) you get downvoted even if you aren't actually supporting that point of view, it's basically shooting the messenger.

This seems the be the latest thread about Reddit so I'll post in here. I've been aware of reddit for a long time but only started using it (beyond random google searches) over the past year. Because it has so many users and different active subreddits, I'm finding myself getting sucked in to posting on numerous subjects from around 5-10 key subreddits and wasting far too much time there (says someone who's been on these forums for over 20 years!).

I need some middle ground I think where there is more activity than OcUK on niche subjects but where it isn't a full time job keeping up with all the posts. First world problems and all that, but does anyone have any recommendations (beyond just ignoring reddit, e.g. any large forums that fall somewhere in between here and Reddit)?

I agree the combination of upvoting and threading seems to basically drown out lots of good posts, and it doesn't even feel that easy to navigate. I'm never really sure whether to reply directly to a given post or to the cascading chain below it. I generally prefer a flat structure although to be fair even that tends to lead to the earliest/most recent posts getting more attention than random ones on page 7 of 26. The voting system in general appears to be a massive echo chamber where person A gets lots of upvotes and person B gets lots of downvotes for saying fundamentally the same thing. Plus if you explain how something unpopular works (i.e. the rationale behind it e.g. why evil corporation XYZ has taken the decision they have) you get downvoted even if you aren't actually supporting that point of view, it's basically shooting the messenger.

Reddit is a **** hole. The conversation is dominated either by group think from whatever side the subreddit skews to....and even more infuriatingly the top comments are variations of ****** puns or stupid jokes or something window licking worthy.

You’ve also got the moderators who ban you from a subreddit because you’ve said something they don’t agree with despite not breaching any guidelines.
My recent favourite example was during the blackout the SquaredCircle subreddit said they would never come back online until the changes were made. They then backtracked and banned anyone who made a joke about them.

This has only happened to me once ever. I think it might be a you problem

Its a pretty well known and accepted fact of certain sub-reddits. If you haven't come across it you either don't go on the right (wrong) sub-reddits or you happen to fall on the right side of their politics.

I've only recently discovered using Reddit and to be honest it's where I'm getting my most reliable answers from in the groups I've joined.

Its great if you are part of the right groups.

Back
Top Bottom