Reddit is dying

It's brilliant when it's hobby based and has nothing to do with politics or any real world impacting POVs. When those topics come up you realise how thick people are.

I do read other stuff, but I'd rather not enter into any political discussions with people. I've never found that stuff easy to do on a phone, which is where I use Reddit. And much like any internet forum, there are loads of people ready to tell you how thick you are for holding a certain viewpoint and have the time to tell you exactly why that is. CBA!

This seems the be the latest thread about Reddit so I'll post in here. I've been aware of reddit for a long time but only started using it (beyond random google searches) over the past year. Because it has so many users and different active subreddits, I'm finding myself getting sucked in to posting on numerous subjects from around 5-10 key subreddits and wasting far too much time there (says someone who's been on these forums for over 20 years!).

I need some middle ground I think where there is more activity than OcUK on niche subjects but where it isn't a full time job keeping up with all the posts. First world problems and all that, but does anyone have any recommendations (beyond just ignoring reddit, e.g. any large forums that fall somewhere in between here and Reddit)?

I agree the combination of upvoting and threading seems to basically drown out lots of good posts, and it doesn't even feel that easy to navigate. I'm never really sure whether to reply directly to a given post or to the cascading chain below it. I generally prefer a flat structure although to be fair even that tends to lead to the earliest/most recent posts getting more attention than random ones on page 7 of 26. The voting system in general appears to be a massive echo chamber where person A gets lots of upvotes and person B gets lots of downvotes for saying fundamentally the same thing. Plus if you explain how something unpopular works (i.e. the rationale behind it e.g. why evil corporation XYZ has taken the decision they have) you get downvoted even if you aren't actually supporting that point of view, it's basically shooting the messenger.
That sounds like reddit alright. I use it for a few things mainly gaming forums its very good for the latest information if its interesting it'll turn up there, the downside is it can be complete ****show with everyone piling in on something or someone and anyone who sticks out or goes against the flow gets hammered down hard. I find it both useful and loathe it in equal measure.

I got perma-banned from a sub-reddit a few weeks ago for a comment saying I thought the mods were "nazi's and idiotic", I did not use profanity etc but I can see how that was offensive. Didn't expect to be permanently banned for that though tbh, I'd never had any previous negative history with their mods in years of using Reddit. I shouldn't have made that comment and I regret it, I was under some stress at the time, I enjoyed participating on that particular sub and may appeal the ban although I doubt I'll get anywhere.

Who still uses Reddit? It's been nothing but a cesspit of degenerates from both extremes of the political spectrum for as long as I can remember.

If you're right wing, you join the incels at r/MensRights, if you're left wing, you join the zoophiles at r/BeastFiction, and if you think women are a protected sex category, there's no group for you because they're all banned.

Who still uses Reddit? It's been nothing but a cesspit of degenerates from both extremes of the political spectrum for as long as I can remember.

If you're right wing, you join the incels at r/MensRights, if you're left wing, you join the zoophiles at r/BeastFiction, and if you think women are a protected sex category, there's no group for you because they're all banned.
Guess I must be doing something wrong then. I visit Reddit daily and so far, I'm yet to see either of them subs pop up. Reddit is too huge and varied to be dominated by a couple of subs. Just don't visit them, and I'm sure you can block them from being visible on main feed.

I got perma-banned from a sub-reddit a few weeks ago for a comment saying I thought the mods were "nazi's and idiotic", I did not use profanity etc but I can see how that was offensive. Didn't expect to be permanently banned for that though tbh, I'd never had any previous negative history with their mods in years of using Reddit. I shouldn't have made that comment and I regret it, I was under some stress at the time, I enjoyed participating on that particular sub and may appeal the ban although I doubt I'll get anywhere.

To be honest, if you made the same comments here you'd get a similar response.

Everyone loves to talk **** about reddit, and there is a good argument for that when looking at how serious topics are discussed on there (mods, narratives, echo chamber etc.).

I try to only use it now for hobby stuff, for which it's actually an amazing platform, still.

I bet you **** Facebook off as well because you don't know how to use it for yourself.
I've only recently joined Reddit and I'm already in loads of groups like Reolink, Digital Audio Players, Live Stage Sounds, Studio Recording, Line 6 Helix, Guitar Pedals and loads more.
If you can argue in those groups you can argue with yourself in a mirror.
Same with Facebook, I use Groups that interest me and are very helpful.

I bet you **** Facebook off as well because you don't know how to use it for yourself.
I've only recently joined Reddit and I'm already in loads of groups like Reolink, Digital Audio Players, Live Stage Sounds, Studio Recording, Line 6 Helix, Guitar Pedals and loads more.
If you can argue in those groups you can argue with yourself in a mirror.
Same with Facebook, I use Groups that interest me and are very helpful.
Facebook's become unusable though with all the suggested for you and AI content - it's ridiculous. Even most groups that I'm on have descended into nonsense and gullible posts/boomer humour. At least Reddit has managed to separate that for the most part from the useful subreddits, I use vendor ones for networking regularly but the main popular feed is trash interspersed with a few amusing videos.

Facebook's become unusable though with all the suggested for you and AI content - it's ridiculous. Even most groups that I'm on have descended into nonsense and gullible posts/boomer humour. At least Reddit has managed to separate that for the most part from the useful subreddits, I use vendor ones for networking regularly but the main popular feed is trash interspersed with a few amusing videos.

Not if you set it up right, click on Feeds and set your favourites up and you get none of that nonsense.
The amount of people who don't know this is gobsmacking.

Last edited:
Got banned from the London sub for saying I don't support mass immigration. Got told I wasn't a real Londoner despite me being able to trace part of my family here back 500 years.

Got banned from the UKPolitics over the trans thing for saying I don't care what people want to think they are, as long as they don't try to force me to pretend I believe it to.

Got banned from Europe for pointing out to a guy from Poland who was ******** on the UK for all the problems of Europe that Poland has taken more money out every year its been in the EU and the UK has put more money in every single year.

Back
Top Bottom