Reddit is dying

Not if you set it up right, click on Feeds and set your favourites up and you get none of that nonsense.
The amount of people who don't know this is gobsmacking.
Count me as one who didn't know this then - I'd just given up on Facebook and the only reason I use it is because it is the only place the little one's nursery provide any information.

Although, I do think it's ridiculous that the feeds thing is not promoted or explained very well and that the default is so unusable it has pretty much driven me away from using it for anything apart from the above.

Different Reddit groups have different characteristics. The ones I join are fine in terms of content but the interface can be annoying. I don’t access using the app as I couldn’t get on with it, so use a browser. I search for new posts and open the ones I want to read in new tabs (there is a settings option for this) and then go back and read them. This only works if you don’t follow too many subreddits. Otherwise the thing can slow to a crawl after 24 hours worth of posts.
A recent annoying UI change has been to hide nested replies, so you have to keep using the see full discussion button.

It’s still a good platform if you have it set up for your needs. I’ve had questions answered on there that I’d likely never have received a response to elsewhere.

If you’re using it for manosphere stuff like roar then I can see where the criticisms come in.

It’s still a good platform if you have it set up for your needs. I’ve had questions answered on there that I’d likely never have received a response to elsewhere.

100%
I'm putting a question on there later that I know I won't get an answer from here.

It's so sad that grown men don't know how to use Social Media for themselves without all the rubbish.
I'm happy that yesterday I've taught one person about Feeds on Facebook so he only see's what he wants to see so it becomes a vey useful tool.
If you did that with OCUK you could click on the argumentative forums like GD, Speakers Corners, Football etc so you'd never see any posts from there in the New Posts or What's New tabs.
That would stop idiots going into a sub forum, going into a thread and typing "Who cares?" or "Do people really watch TV any more?" etc.

Reddit Enhancement Suite still works. I've moved on bar the wrestling subreddit (squaredcircle) as the community just isn't picking up elsewhere (mainly lemmy, don't want to use discord for that)

I don't see the whole point in points, coins, karma etc. There was the whole people selling high karma reddit accounts thing for ages too, makes no sense. If you post good stuff then it gets upvoted. Leave it at that, why add extra bloat and restrictions. Be like twitter and charging people to see more posts in 24hours next.

On the gaming sub i visit now and then if theres news breaking you'll read it there first on the other hand most of it is vitriolic garbage outside of the sub everyone regards it as a cesspool and they're not wrong

Yes many times a thread will get derailed by one person about something not relevant, a response will be posted which is usually balanced but the rest of the mod aligned with the wrongun will suddenly cime in and all hell breaks loose. Seems this is quite common in the gaming sub with a level of toxic nature you need to build up an immunity to and be careful not to adopt either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom