Retro console and games thread

Associate

I remember the day I got Double Dragon for the spectrum (still have it at my dads i think...), back in the day I used to think it was amazing but when I look back at every other version that was available at the time, I can understand the hatred that speccy fans had towards it lol :p

I keep meaning to look at the GBA version, it does indeed look brilliant :)

Underboss
I remember the day I got Double Dragon for the spectrum (still have it at my dads i think...), back in the day I used to think it was amazing but when I look back at every other version that was available at the time, I can understand the hatred that speccy fans had towards it lol :p

I keep meaning to look at the GBA version, it does indeed look brilliant :)

The speccy version isn't too bad really, at least the men and girls are the correct size unlike the amiga where they look squashed, just a shame about the colour! lol
Atari ST version was better than the Amiga for this problem

GBA version is excellent though

im looking out for the mega drive version,. only one on the bay @ £40

on another note, went to some charity shops today , only 1 place had games in, mainly PC games (rubbish ones) 2 PS1 games (Tome raider 3 and Grand theft auto) and a couple of crap PS2 games

I did however bought Kill Bill Vol.2

Soldato
picked up a PS1 today for £2 model SCPH-1002 with the audio connectors on the back.I also got a game gear for £1 no idea if it works don't have any games, ps1 games i paid £2 for the 5 and metal gear costed £2 atleast its not another sons of liberty, need for speed was £1

89E4E756-3441-49DF-9806-4F61A9E9CA70-488-0000002DB1B445F7_zpsd3bff6dc.jpg

Soldato
I'm 60 hours into ff8, probably 10 or more of those are playing the card game.

Does re look as awful as ff8 does?

Only 10 hours? Weeeeeak :D. Honestly though I must have spent about 20 hours on that card game before even heading to Dollet. It's far too addictive and despite the fact I was technically grinding for certain cards it didn't feel like I was :p.

Associate
Only 10 hours? Weeeeeak :D. Honestly though I must have spent about 20 hours on that card game before even heading to Dollet. It's far too addictive and despite the fact I was technically grinding for certain cards it didn't feel like I was :p.

I'm just playing for rare cards, I don't know why really as I already have a good set. The plus/same rule makes me cry.

Soldato
I'm just playing for rare cards, I don't know why really as I already have a good set. The plus/same rule makes me cry.

Oh god, especially when you haven't spread the open rule. You can be 7-3 up with 1 card to go and they'll do a 2-3 card flip combo out of nowhere and beat you 6-4!

Random though...**** random. Getting Laguna's card is annoying as hell, I ended up card modding all my cards under level 7 or seomthing so I wouldn't draw them!

Associate
im looking out for the mega drive version,. only one on the bay @ £40

I didn't realise it was that rare to be honest... I'll have a look in my local retro store tomorrow and see if they have it. I guess the rarity comes from it being an unlicensed game.

On a somewhat related note, have you ever played Double Dragon 2 on the NES? That is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite Double Dragon game, everything about it is just perfect as far as a 8-bit scrolling beat'em up goes.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh god, especially when you haven't spread the open rule. You can be 7-3 up with 1 card to go and they'll do a 2-3 card flip combo out of nowhere and beat you 6-4!

Random though...**** random. Getting Laguna's card is annoying as hell, I ended up card modding all my cards under level 7 or seomthing so I wouldn't draw them!

Exactly what I'm doing, I card mod anything I can that isn't a one off.

Underboss
I didn't realise it was that rare to be honest... I'll have a look in my local retro store tomorrow and see if they have it. I guess the rarity comes from it being an unlicensed game.

On a somewhat related note, have you ever played Double Dragon 2 on the NES? That is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite Double Dragon game, everything about it is just perfect as far as a 8-bit scrolling beat'em up goes.

not played the NES games at all, only bought it a few years ago and I had duck hunt, that's about it lol

you got me thinking

need to look for some places that sell retro stuff near me

I think theres game, gamestation and CEX in aylesbury

Associate
Quite chuffed about this one, got very lucky at the weekend, was actually not planning on buying anymore Snes games for a while, but this popped up and I knew if I didn't grab it then it would be gone within minutes, was paranoid during the loading screen that I would have been beaten to it.

secretofmanas.jpg

It is absolutely immaculate not a mark on the box other than that sticker, which if anyone has advice on ways of removing that without damaging the box let me know, however the most important part is it cost me £35 + £2.50 postage, and the guy packed it ridiculously well for the £2.50 charge, considering I have a copy bookmarked which is sitting on £91 so far I am guessing its a good deal :)

Only problem is I don't have a converter cart yet, was going to either get one of those or spare snes top and then widen its cart slot, have until I finish Super Metroid to get this sorted.

Soldato
Annoyingly enough for me if I ever sold my Gamecube games I'd need to hope a US seller wanted them :p I picked up a JAP GC 6 months before the UK launch with a chip for both JAP and USA games...small switch at the back.

Was looking through my collection earlier...might have to hook it up for some Twin Snakes :D

Soldato
picked up a PS1 today for £2 model SCPH-1002 with the audio connectors on the back.I also got a game gear for £1 no idea if it works don't have any games, ps1 games i paid £2 for the 5 and metal gear costed £2 atleast its not another sons of liberty, need for speed was £1

where on earth you locate those!!!! midweek booty or something

good skills! those PS1's are getting proper rare these days as people converter them to CD players as it has some awesome DAC in it apparently (friend did it and its AMAZING!)

fingers crossed that Game Gear works, i used to love mine back in the day

Soldato
Annoyingly enough for me if I ever sold my Gamecube games I'd need to hope a US seller wanted them :p I picked up a JAP GC 6 months before the UK launch with a chip for both JAP and USA games...small switch at the back.

Was looking through my collection earlier...might have to hook it up for some Twin Snakes :D

you would be suprised how many US Cubes are kicking around the lofts of the UK, my boss is trying to find his for me if he can. my old one i sold a year or so back was a US version too.....stupidest thing i think i have ever sold....well actually second only to my boxed snes with 30 games for £50 to a mate a 5 years back when i got married lol (boxed illusion of time, probotector and zelda in that bundle :()

Back
Top Bottom