Retro console and games thread

Associate
dunno really

but I got a modded UK MK1 which does language selection and has a 50/60 hz switch too

Any Mark 1 machine that isn't VA6 or higher I believe. Basically the earlier ones have less integrated components and therefore better quality audio. The later ones use an integrated FM synth which doesn't sound as good. Opened my MD up to find out that it was a VA4 UK launch model from 1990!

Doesn't matter what region machine you get though as once the switch is installed (which is a three wire job and REALLY easy to do), you can switch between PAL, NTSC-M (America) and NTSC-J (Japan). It'll run identically to any other region machine. The only upside to getting a Japanese machine is that you can fit the larger Japanese cartridges in the machine but this can be overcome with a cheap as chips Game Genie or 32x.

Underboss
Any Mark 1 machine that isn't VA6 or higher I believe. Basically the earlier ones have less integrated components and therefore better quality audio. The later ones use an integrated FM synth which doesn't sound as good. Opened my MD up to find out that it was a VA4 UK launch model from 1990!

Doesn't matter what region machine you get though as once the switch is installed (which is a three wire job and REALLY easy to do), you can switch between PAL, NTSC-M (America) and NTSC-J (Japan). It'll run identically to any other region machine. The only upside to getting a Japanese machine is that you can fit the larger Japanese cartridges in the machine but this can be overcome with a cheap as chips Game Genie or 32x.

Thanks for the info

no idea what version mine is..

Associate
Does it come up with a licensed by or under license from Sega screen? If it does it's a later one with TMSS (Trademark Security System) which is a good way of dating the machine. You'll want to open it up at some point to install the modswitch anyway I'd imagine so you can check then :)

Soldato
Ok.....atari has arrived. To say I am amazed / extatic / over joyed is an understatement...

A bit of net research has revealed it is an original 1977 "sunnyvale" edition so its an gen 1 complete console!!!

Apologies for all the images, just had to share :)

that looks in great condition, look after that one

Underboss
Does it come up with a licensed by or under license from Sega screen? If it does it's a later one with TMSS (Trademark Security System) which is a good way of dating the machine. You'll want to open it up at some point to install the modswitch anyway I'd imagine so you can check then :)

not sure, when I next get it out the box I'll check
thanks

Associate
also yes you can get the joypads you ask about ;). model is hss-0101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yMyIxltIM4

there has been a few on ebay lately ( everdrives ) but been fetching like you say 100 plus.

Just got my black European controller. First time I've used one, very ovbious where the Dreamcast design came from. The bundle copy of NiGHTS is in lovely condition too. Might pick up a modchip for my Japanese machine rather than using my UK one. Only problem is that a Model 1 Modchip is more expensive than the model 2 ones. Still, probably worth it I think.

Cheers for the heads up on the controller, will look for it.

As for the Everdrive, the cheapest route I can see is to get the bare board. Asked a US supplier and they say they don't declare the full cost of the board so you wont get stung on import charges.

EDIT: Just checked that controller model number out, thats the one I have with my Japanese Saturn. Oops, think I might've confused what I meant to say. Was wondering if you can get the grey/blue versions of the 3D control pad or not, as I've only ever seen the white ones in Japanese regions.

Soldato
Ooooooppps ;)

nese.jpg

Soldato
looks like we have all gone a bit mad this week :D

Great finds on the snes/nes combo and that gameboy is an utter bargain! DK Land III is most likely worth what you paid all by itself lol

Caporegime
Amiga 1200 + 4GB CF + 2000 Games + Classic WB + Fully Cleaned inside and out = £128
image.jpg

ACA 1232/25Mhz 128MB Accelerator = £93
image.jpg

SCART TO AMIGA (RGB) CABLE WITH AUDIO £13
image.jpg

:eek:

Soldato
Loving it mucky pup! Have a psu at work for you btw...just need to test it :)

Wingman the donkey kong land games are sublime too along with motocross maniacs, kirbys dreamland, dynablaster and top ranking tennis

Back
Top Bottom