Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
For those of you that are worried about the audio of the Rift S (which is pretty poor) there is a very easy DIY solution using Koss KSC75 clip headphones (currently £17.99 on Amazon) which dramatically improves the audio

https://imgur.com/gallery/V7zKoN9

I've done that. its amazing now. I think it goes head to head with index audio (not kidding).

add some mamut grips and the rift s becomes a really solid contendor. its sad that for <20 quid they could have substantially improved the headset.

Soldato
Here is a pic of the Modicap Sennheiser Soundkit I mentioned previously, fitted on my Rift S. Great sound, but the introductory price has ended so now it is even more expensive; €150 + shipping.

Modicap.jpg

Associate
just grabbed those headphones off the rainforest, and those headphone covers off fleabay :)

only done a little in vr so far, guess best way to cope with the shimmer and aliasing would be to use super sampling?

i get some odd effects in project cars 2, like its kinda interleaving?, like using the trackside camera so your sat in grandstand, i had quite a lot of ghosting/(like those lcd ghosting tests for monitors) on the cars going past.

and what do u guys use to see fps in games?

Soldato
Here is a pic of the Modicap Sennheiser Soundkit I mentioned previously, fitted on my Rift S. Great sound, but the introductory price has ended so now it is even more expensive; €150 + shipping.

Modicap.jpg

Argh those plus mamut grips nears 600 quid .. just too much money

Soldato
AMVR grips can be had for £25.

The audio is the main problem though. Shouldn't have to fork out extra to get decent sound.

If you're on a budget, my Rift S budget build is KSC75 headphones + Mamut grips and you use pliers to bend the plastic of the KSC75 over the Rift S plastic. It works well. Looks crap tho lol.

Soldato
If you're on a budget, my Rift S budget build is KSC75 headphones + Mamut grips and you use pliers to bend the plastic of the KSC75 over the Rift S plastic. It works well. Looks crap tho lol.
I just printed my grips and bought elastic laces with lock thing for a couple of quid.

Same as my quest ones https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33028040

Bought a pair of Turtle beach VR headphones that I use with the S, Quest and PSVR. Better than any other solution I have tried (have tried loads). They have a built-in in amp and don't sound half bad. They have also been specifically designed to use with 'halo' straps as wider headband so ideal. Best of all £20 from Amazon warehouse.

Last edited:
Associate
had a annoying time with rift earlier, last night got it setup of htpc, working fine
today didnt wanna behave, seemingly the extension cables decided not to behave :( so guess i need to look for some other ones now, need 75cm length atleast really :/

had working briefly then going to static (like a old telly) and controllers not moving. but would rotate/spin etc on the "floor". pretty odd :(

Associate
Had a cv1 since launch. I picked one up an S about a month ago, now my neck is in pain. Been off it for 1 week, the pain has started to subside. Going to have to strengthen my neck muscles.
Other than that I'm really liking the boost in resolution. Not as keen on the new touch as they don't feel as balanced with the ring being at the top.
Sound wise I actually like that it is open and have no problem with it, not the greatest but OK compared to what I was reading, (was initially doubtful as I read lots of reports of very bad sound).

Soldato
Hi all

So advice pretty please.
I have a RIFT S and I want to protect the lenses like any sane person would.
Now I have looked about and some of the options look great but cost a damn fortune soooo I am going to cut some out my self using mt CNC machine ;).

I have looked about and cant seem to find a TEMPLATE of the lenses on GOOGLE does any one have one per chance if so would you send it me please.

I want to cut out some lens protectors from phone screen protectors or some people say there is watch lens protectors that work great and people just cut them out by eye but seeing as I have a machine to do it for me and all I need is a TEMPLATE I should be able to do it spot on.

If not there is ways around it I can take a photo of the actual lenses and tweak trace it ETC ETC but MEH.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Hi all

So advice pretty please.
Now I have looked about and some of the options look great but cost a damn fortune soooo I am going to cut some out my self using mt CNC machine ;).

I have looked about and cant seem to find a TEMPLATE of the lenses on GOOGLE does any one have one per chance if so would you send it me please.

I want to cut out some lens protectors from phone screen protectors or some people say there is watch lens protectors that work great and people just cut them out by eye but seeing as I have a machine to do it for me and all I need is a TEMPLATE I should be able to do it spot on.

If not there is ways around it I can take a photo of the actual lenses and tweak trace it ETC ETC but MEH.

Thanks in advance

They sell phone screen protector type patches specially for the S and quest on the bay.

Soldato
They sell phone screen protector type patches specially for the S and quest on the bay.

Thanks for the suggestion though :) but I looked and yeah exactly the same style ETC and the rateing on the forest aint good.

So if sme one does have a template of a RIFT S lens Left and Right got a link please.
If not as said shall try to make one :)

Thanks again all

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion though :) but I looked and yeah exactly the same style ETC and the rateing on the forest aint good.

So if sme one does have a template of a RIFT S lens Left and Right got a link please.
If not as said shall try to make one :)

Thanks again all

Well, as they're peanuts to buy, it might be worth picking a pack up and trying them yourself. There may be a certain amount of operator error on the part of the reviewers.
If they are duff then you've now got a template to make your own with.

Soldato
true that suppose.
I am sure though that one of the reviews was they never fitted fully over thw whole lens LOL.
But yep ya right its worth a shot maybe.

Thanks again and shall update when I decide what I am doing :)

Soldato
Hi all

So advice pretty please.

Thanks in advance

just buy some plain widmovr lens protectors which are always attached. Surely that’s the easiest.

Soldato
Yeah I did look at them and yes they look awesome but they are a bit pricey and not based in the UK.
Any one else used them?

I assume I would order the PLANO for just basic covers.

Any one else got them on a RIFT S?

Associate
Just got a Rift S couple of weeks ago - not had much time with it but pretty impressed.... if only there was a wire free option coming of some sort (not the Quest) - but still worth the money I think.

When trying to show the fam though .... it tends not to play ball. Can play ok .. turn off PC turn back on next day and then doesnt find the headset..... really annoying - seem to mess around taking out cables replugging uninstalling reinstalling..right dance around... anybody know a quick fix for this ?

Problem is PC is under a desk so having to take out the Displayport cable is a pain .. USB is at front so not too bad.... are you supposed to leave them plugged in or unplug when starting up PC?

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom