Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'll tell you what it's like when mine arrives in 3 weeks (allegedly).

I've ordered the 9.0 (rather than the 9.0s) because it's red and it comes with the funky VCLS seatpost.

I'm changing the chainrings to 52/36 and I've bought some Canyon mudguards.

Awesome. I'd love to hear how you find it. It's pretty much exactly the bike I want. I wouldn't have minded sticking with carbon over alu but the weight will still be lower than my current bike and I'd hope being a slightly more reputable brand it would be a better frameset anyhow. Maybe.

The non-S does look shinier. I'd probably go that route too now you've pointed it out :)

edit: Do you think it's worth upgrading the wheelset on it btw?

edit2: Ah, does the non-S not support mudguards? Shame :/

There's not a mark on it, and I wouldn't say it was any worse than setting it down heavily on a table at the cafe to be honest... Still, it only cost me £20 so maybe I'll ask for a decent one for Christmas or something. I was going to ask my parents for some torm gear, but I might let that slide for now.

To be honest my main issue with helmets is how quickly the padding seems to go from okay to utterly cack. I guess I've done a lot of miles and I sweat a fair bit (not as much as some) but the padding and glue on my current non-cheap helmet died super quickly. Possibly quicker than my old £20 one.

Anyhow, that rant aside, if your helmet isn't knackered (though the lack of marking isn't always enough to go by) and it's comfortable then there's not really a reason to change it I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's not a mark on it, and I wouldn't say it was any worse than setting it down heavily on a table at the cafe to be honest... Still, it only cost me £20 so maybe I'll ask for a decent one for Christmas or something. I was going to ask my parents for some torm gear, but I might let that slide for now.

Do they not do replacement pads for it?

Soldato
Ouch. Sounds like you lucked out (aside from the whole coming off thing) :eek:

They do say that even the most minor impact on a helmet should mean replacement but that doesn't really sound that bad.

I was about to say "now I have something to look out for on the road to try and identify you" but I guess not if you're giving it to your girlfriend :)

I do kind of wish I'd gone in for the magazine/light offer. I'm increasingly starting to think that I should get a light around the 200-400 lumen range to replace my SolarStorm X2 for commuting.

Getting too much abuse from other cyclists? I used to get moaned at all the time riding on a cycle track even on the lowest setting with the light pointing down and 1 hand covering one lens.

Associate
The non-S does support guards, it's exactly the same frame as the S, it's just that you have to get the specific ones for the Inflite from Canyon. They are the only ones that fit, apparently.

I contemplated upgrading the wheelset but I did a weight comparison with something hand built and there was only about 100g in it.

Man of Honour
Getting too much abuse from other cyclists? I used to get moaned at all the time riding on a cycle track even on the lowest setting with the light pointing down and 1 hand covering one lens.

I've had a few bits of abuse, though ironically not on the road. I've had it more on the Fallowfield Loop where there is no lighting so for once the X2 was actually being appropriately used. I always aim down quite a lot with it to avoid blinding people as best I can.

It's more the hassle of having a separate battery pack and, although originally I didn't like the idea, usb charging would be pretty good for a light I used primarily for commuting.

The non-S does support guards, it's exactly the same frame as the S, it's just that you have to get the specific ones for the Inflite from Canyon. They are the only ones that fit, apparently.

I contemplated upgrading the wheelset but I did a weight comparison with something hand built and there was only about 100g in it.

Oh right, awesome. Then the non-S is back on the menu :)

Are your thoughts on hand-built wheels along the lines of "aside from weight saving they aren't worth it"? I've only recently started thinking more seriously about wheelsets and such.

Caporegime
Are your thoughts on hand-built wheels along the lines of "aside from weight saving they aren't worth it"? I've only recently started thinking more seriously about wheelsets and such.

Asprilla's twisted my arm into buying two handbuilt wheelsets in the past two years. One is fairly boring Mavic Opensports on Shimano hubs with 32 spokes on each wheel so pretty bombproof, which are on my winter bike. The other set cost £300, so half as much as the cost of the bike they're on, which are H Plus Son Archetypes on Miche Primato hubs, 24 and 28 spokes. They're 23mm rims so they're better suited to 25mm or bigger tyres. The ride quality is good and they look lovely.

Man of Honour
Asprilla's twisted my arm into buying two handbuilt wheelsets in the past two years. One is fairly boring Mavic Opensports on Shimano hubs with 32 spokes on each wheel so pretty bombproof, which are on my winter bike. The other set cost £300, so half as much as the cost of the bike they're on, which are H Plus Son Archetypes on Miche Primato hubs, 24 and 28 spokes. They're 23mm rims so they're better suited to 25mm or bigger tyres. The ride quality is good and they look lovely.

Interesting, thanks for that.

I've never really had a chance to compare different wheels on the same bike. Did you notice any substantial differences? I'm not necessarily looking for speed improvements (though they would be great of course:)) but general improvement in the 'feel' or comfort.

Soldato
So..are there actually any bike shops that stock Canyon? I'm having trouble finding one...

afaik it's canyon site directly and that's it :) there are no distributors, so you order from them like you would from rosebikes and it'll get delivered.

on another note -;

Distance - 5,002.6 mi
Time - 315h 28m
Elev Gain - 146,348 ft

5k miles was the goal! happy :eek: even if 95% of it is commuting..

Soldato
I've now got over 5000 miles logged on Strava on my TdF. I probably hit that number a while ago, accounting for rides that got cut off and whatnot, but nevertheless, there it is.

Nice work! Congrats both! Makes my 1.5k look poor lol ;)

D'oh, minor off for me this evening. <snip> If I'm lucky I'll get a decent bruise on my hip. Whoops, really.

Glad you're ok mate, wear your bruises like badges and if anyone asks they always happen at high speeds racing someone/fighting with a car ;)

It's more the hassle of having a separate battery pack and, although originally I didn't like the idea, usb charging would be pretty good for a light I used primarily for commuting.

That's why I'm only really considering USB or at least replaceable batteries I can get a USB charger for... Always considered a USB light (like my Volt100) would have a sub-par battery but it seems to put out more light and last a hellova lot longer than the 2xAAA's in my current cheapy rear... :rolleyes:

Planet-X have a bike stand for £40 today - here (without dodgy discount codes...)

£62 on Merlin. I've had one for years and it's provided sterling service.

Great, thanks for the link! That's one xmas pressie for me sorted :D

Last edited:
Associate
So..are there actually any bike shops that stock Canyon? I'm having trouble finding one...

Nope. You can only order direct.

You can try them out in the factory in Koblenz or you can come down to Kingston on Thames and try one there. If you call Canyon UK they may well have a demo day on somewhere near you.

Man of Honour
afaik it's canyon site directly and that's it :) there are no distributors, so you order from them like you would from rosebikes and it'll get delivered.

on another note -;

Distance - 5,002.6 mi
Time - 315h 28m
Elev Gain - 146,348 ft

Ah, makes sense. It will be a shame not to be able to use cyclescheme to offset some of the cost but there doesn't seem to be anything else out there that is quite like the Canyon.

Nice work on the miles also :) Personally I don't see why commute miles should be judged more harshly than getting out on longer rides at the weekend/etc. Pleasure cycling is obviously more fun but at the end of the day it's all exercise and all good for you.

That's why I'm only really considering USB or at least replaceable batteries I can get a USB charger for... Always considered a USB light (like my Volt100) would have a sub-par battery but it seems to put out more light and last a hellova lot longer than the 2xAAA's in my current cheapy rear... :rolleyes:

Yeah. I think I'll just run my current lights into the ground a bit longer and then stump for something more expensive with better charging capabilities next winter. Hopefully the X2 cheap battery will last another few months...

edit:

Nope. You can only order direct.

You can try them out in the factory in Koblenz or you can come down to Kingston on Thames and try one there. If you call Canyon UK they may well have a demo day on somewhere near you.

Hmm..that'd be about 200 miles to cycle to. I know OneMoreSolo has done it but I think I'd have to wait until more summery weather before I attempt it :p

Do you work at a bike place that has some Canyons on display or something? :) It's not impossible that I'll be on London in the near future so I could actually pop along to Kingston on Thames.

edit2: Or do you just mean having a look at yours once you get it? :)

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone used the Cycle Ops Classic turbo trainer?

One for sale locally to me and might help me get some miles in and used to the bike in the evenings whilst the weathers crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom