Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Do it yourself, it's an easy job and all you need is a cable set and some cutters. Well worth learning.

@Draeger

It's the setting up the gears thing that I'm useless at m8, been there, got the t-shirt. Last time I made such a pigs ear of it I ended up having to put it into my LBS anyway. :p

But if the cables are easy enough to fit I might have a bash at that then drop it into the LBS to get the gears done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Soldato
Got my bike back with a set of new forks as the bike originally came damaged from Ribble. To be fair to Ribble the returns process was painless and very easy and despite their reputation for poor customer service they were very good and efficient.

Unfortunately Ribble don't seem to set the bike up for you, so I was trimming up the gears so that it changed gears smoothly without all the clicking (very easy with Di2). On the largest cog on the rear, it wouldn't run smoothly without the derailleur touching on the spokes which was a good job I checked everything out first. Looking the the rear derailleur it isn't running straight, so the hanger needs to be straightened out. Booked it in at the local bike shop to get it sorted. Such a pain the bikes from Ribble aren't useable straight out of the box.

That's nothing to do with the setup of the rear mech at all. That's a bent mech hanger from the journey to you.

They can be bent back but being aluminium it's not the best thing. I'd rather a new one on that bike obviously!

Soldato
Just bit the bullet and ordered a Jagwire Road Pro Kit from the bay. Looks fairly simple to fit.

Question if I may! The barrel adjusters on my bike which are toast are the ones fitted at the downtube. Do I even need them? Read a few comments about folk saying they are only really useful for adjusting 'on the fly' which I'm certainly not going to be doing! Or should I fit another pair of new barrel adjusters when fitting the Jagwires? If so, can anyone recommend me a pair which will fit? Other option could be fit inline adjusters somewhere but again, do I actually need them?

Soldato
They are very useful for indexing, i would recommend you use some unless you want to spend hours playing with the cable tension, finally getting it right then finding out you didn't tighten it enough so it slipped out, then tightening it too much and destroying the cable you've tortured for ages and having to start all over again. Doesn't really matter which ones you use afaik.

Soldato
Just bit the bullet and ordered a Jagwire Road Pro Kit from the bay. Looks fairly simple to fit.

Question if I may! The barrel adjusters on my bike which are toast are the ones fitted at the downtube. Do I even need them? Read a few comments about folk saying they are only really useful for adjusting 'on the fly' which I'm certainly not going to be doing! Or should I fit another pair of new barrel adjusters when fitting the Jagwires? If so, can anyone recommend me a pair which will fit? Other option could be fit inline adjusters somewhere but again, do I actually need them?

I have older Sora with external cable routing so use these http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Jagwire-Roc...o8j0yAVd8MM-L2kfN0dgUQWJB8l3r00XCxoC2A_w_wcB#

If you have the cables under the bar tape then you will need an inline adjuster. Don't really have a preference with what one though.

Soldato
Fantastic day today, so spent the morning washing the car, cleaning the house, doing washing etc :p But in between some of these bits I gave my bike a bit of a freshen up.

Owned the bike 2 1/4 years, and only ever changed the rear derailleur cable when I caught my foot on it, so had been trotting around with a bodged cable for about 1.5 years. (extension on the outer with a metal connecting piece).

So cable and bar tape replacement, was more nervous about the tape tbh, as pretty good with indexing etc now.

So from this (although much dirtier bar tape)

IMG_20140820_194403_zpsfxqwynnq.jpg

To this

IMG_20150418_145530.jpg

IMG_20150418_145540.jpg

I didn't do a great job on the bar ends, but happy with the rest of it for a first ever go with tape, although probably a bit tight, but the tape is very good and easy to put on highly recommended (Supacaz)

Soldato
Shop ride for tomorrow announced: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7522783
30.8 miles with 1200ft elevation @16/17mph
Looks like a good route, fairly flat so I'll be heading out! :D

Shop ride this morning was good, wind was cold and strong in places! Was a mostly flat route and 28 riders turned up. We formed 2 'equal speed' groups as there were a number of new riders, I jumped on the first group (looked to be the smaller of the 2, so thought it easier to do!). Within 5 miles I'd nearly blown up twice (HR 180+ is blowup territory for me) and I dropped back with 2 other guys suffering the same, one of them had to pull up so we waited a few minutes to jump on the second group.

The wind made the going quite hard and as there were so many of us (20?) one of the shop staff dropped back to us and we formed a smaller group (7 I think) to make it easier on the new guys (& me!). I'm much better at riding in groups now and although the going was hard I'm getting much more confident to stand to help with the climbs! Did a brief stint on the front but any hill killed my speed too much to stay there. One of the guys had something wrong and we held up a little for him, I think he was suffering too much so after a discussion we went on without him (he headed home/pickup). One of the guys took a well known 'shortcut' around a 3rd of the way in and we reached a junction to find the rest of the group there. Couple of them had to stop and as the next stint was along a fairly busy/fast A road we rode it as a big scattered group (around 18 of us by this point).

We picked up a couple of guys who'd dropped off the faster group along the way and in an effort to close a gap which had opened (wanted to get on a wheel due to the wind!) I totally blew up and had to back it off to avoid a bonk. Took it easy for a few miles and we regrouped 4 of us when turning back towards home. We picked up shortcut guy who'd buried himself on the main road to try and catch up (when we were all behind him!) :rolleyes: Price you pay for taking a shortcut! :p

Much easier ride back and we worked well as a group (thankfully due to the wind!). I knew the road slightly (from driving it) so I knew where to pace myself and where to stand. Typical rammed Hereford traffic for the trip through town back to shop so that killed our averages.

18.5mph average out (most hills). 20mph average on the fast A road section (think it was the only hint of any tail wind!) and then 17.5mph average back to the city. Total distance 30.6 miles @ 17.5mph average. Brings my miles to 97.3 for the week so I'm going to spin local for 3 miles tomorrow to break the 100 mile mark! First time doing anything near that distance in a week! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/287591585/overview

I was plagued some of the route by a cold/numb right foot so still need to tweak my cleats some. I tightened my chainrings last night too (heard a click or two commuting yesterday) but I'm still hearing something. Must be the damn headset again so I'll tighten that some more. How tight should chainring bolts be? My torque only goes up to 13 Nm and I've done them past that... Think I'll break it if I go further, I'll use different tools to tighten further.

Swapped my 23mm tyres to 25mm last night too, noticed a good difference - Mitch Pro4E's to Giant P-R3's.

Also seem to have lost the change between 2nd to 3rd gear, I'm having to change to 4th and come back one... I tweaked the derailleur adjuster a notch or two yesterday after refitting the cable in slightly the wrong place. What's the easiest solution? Keep playing with it to get it right, or will I need to try and refit the cable to find the spot again? I've never indexed before so want to avoid it (if possible?)

It's the setting up the gears thing that I'm useless at m8, been there, got the t-shirt. Last time I made such a pigs ear of it I ended up having to put it into my LBS anyway. :p

What I want to avoid ;)

I just use the YouTube links. Never used anything else.

Good tip, thanks.

I'm not quite sure whether to cycle on or bin this tyre after the cut I suffered yesterday. This is how it looks with the new tube inflated to 85psi. I'm worried that any debris that gets into the tyre through this cut will cause another puncture straight away.

Does look quite bad, how many miles have they done? I believe there is a filler (rubber glue) you could get to protect it some (probably only worth it on a newish tyre).

Last edited:
Soldato

You don't need them. Rear derailleur has its own adjuster and front derailleur is easy to set up without one.

Soldato
Got the bike from storage and gave it a clean - took a while to get the cassette and chain nice and clean - doesn't seem to have stretched too much. Tyres seem fine, but will be ordering more and some tubes, and brake pads. Could do with a new saddle at some point, but will pick one out and match the bar tape to it at some stage. Only 'issue' with the bike is the chrome parts wearing away/rusting, but it is 30 years old..! Hasn't been ridden for probably 15 years, but even out of storage on the ride home it changed gear flawlessly. Fun bike to ride!

5RbL1Br.jpg

Soldato
Not usually a fan of older bikes, but that's gorgeous

Yeah, I thought so too - think i'll put a few miles in it over the summer for more of a cruise ride rather than anything too serious. All parts are original except replacing brake pads and a couple other tiny bits. Brilliant shape all things considered except the rusty bits on the chrome areas but that's just an aesthetic thing more than anything.

Was just going to replace the tyres with plain black, but think i'll have to get some with coloured side walls now looking at the picture.. :p a tan saddle/bar tape could look nice as well.

Soldato
Decent club ride today but had a tyre blowout half way round. I now also know that my tyres are ridiculously hard to get off. Need new tyres now though as I've got a large split in my conti gp4000s 2s. Surprised by that but no idea what caused it.

Caporegime
Decent club ride today but had a tyre blowout half way round. I now also know that my tyres are ridiculously hard to get off. Need new tyres now though as I've got a large split in my conti gp4000s 2s. Surprised by that but no idea what caused it.

Michelin Pro 4s are easy enough to get on and off.

Join ussss... Join usssss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom