Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Although it's obviously going to be different and you may have been quicker in parts. Could your mate send you his .gpx (or similar) file and manually upload it? Otherwise I believe you can amend it in a manual upload or using the Garmin software before uploading.

Thanks for replying dude. Yeah we spoke about doing that, but I went 5th overall on a renowned climb on it with 2x 25% switch backs. I've decided I'd rather keep that than get the 130km challenge as that climb was more painful than cycling 80 miles :p:p I will just need to do another 130km ride in the next 11 days I guess? :D

Soldato
Oh also, start of the month I worried about entering and failing the climbing challenge so over the moon with this one :D

climb.jpg

Soldato
Good luck.

No riding for me today, going to watch BTCC at Donington Park.

Have fun! Watched some of the buildup, looked like it was gonna be a good race! Gotta skip it to get my chores done so I can maybe watch the F1...

In 2 minds about getting out today to do 3 miles to make my '100 miles in a week' target.

Tightened headset last night but a little run around the car park still gives me a click. It must be chainring bolts! Are they worth replacing? Due to the corrosion on mine they are aluminium, I read somewhere that stainless steel ones were better for staying tight?

Gonna fit my raceblade longs too as we're forecast some rain towards the end of the week... And the weekend! Typical really as i've got my first real taste of a small local sportive... :rolleyes:

You saying Cervelo has reminded me I saw a dude in Ormskirk today on a P3 in jeans and a t shirt with a rucksack on, quite random.

Guy on the shop ride yesterday with a P3 and zipp wheels, the others giving him stick at the end for not doing a turn. Seems he's well known for not doing one! He had a beer gut to be proud of but was strong and fast!

Oh also, start of the month I worried about entering and failing the climbing challenge so over the moon with this one :D

climb.jpg

Good work but I really wouldn't worry about the Strava challenges so much, you don't exactly get anything for them! Set your own goals and challenges! :)

Soldato
Now now as I'm sure you are aware build times and warranty claims have separate lead times....

You ever tried a claim on your Cervélo :p:eek:

All I'm saying Canyon do decent bikes with a large lead time sometimes, but for warranty claims each manufacture are different to their new bike lead times

Yeah but I can drive to the LBS, give them the bike and have them warranty it for me. Then if I am nice they will loan me a spare bike to ride.

You can't do that when you're emailing Hans in Germany because you're bike turned up DOA.

If it was my only bike I wouldn't buy one incase of issues like that, but if I had a commuter or something else to ride then I would perhaps try one as they do offer great VFM.

Soldato
New tyre purchased today and have replaced my split one (sorry, VH, have stuck with the Conti GP 4000s II, by far the best tyres I've had). I couldn't see it lasting much longer given the size of the hole right in the middle of the tread. Sorted it in about 5 minutes, I guess the pressure of having 7 other riders waiting at the side of the road got to me yesterday!

In other news, a bloke from my cycle club has had a crash while competing in a 25 m TT. A silver Bentley pulled out of a junction right in front of him whilst he was doing 25-30 mph and he had no chance. Went straight into the side of the car door denting it and smashing the rear window. The bike is a write off and was impounded by police for evidence. He was taken to Wythenshawe hospital, and is now on an orthopaedic ward. He has 3 fractured ribs, a small hole in a lung, a chipped bone in the shoulder, but most worryingly 5 fractured vertebrae in the neck. He is being kept immobilised while they try and work out the extent of the damage to the vertebrae and are obviously worried about any potential damage to the spinal cord. They are doing further X-rays today, and will now do an MRI tomorrow. Fingers crossed that an operation is not required, but best likely outcome is some kind of body brace for 6 - 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good work but I really wouldn't worry about the Strava challenges so much, you don't exactly get anything for them! Set your own goals and challenges! :)

Thanks Roady. I agree... Congratulations you have completed our challenge, you are now allowed to BUY our jersey.... no thanks :p

I don't worry about them too much really it is just got to have that variery each month and compare with your mates. Nothing but some fun really on top of your proper personal aims and goals :cool:

Soldato
Started the rust removal from the old bike, only spent about 30 minutes so far, but so far so good - a few bits that can't be removed as it's not just iron oxide on top of the chroming, but a lot better than it started. Front brake area is looking good, rear has a little bit I can't remove - handlebars have improved as well. Looking a little nicer :)

Quick pic to show difference, just been using foil & water;

ZVu3ncT.jpg

Soldato
before spending too much time cleaning them, have you experienced the stopping* power of steel single-pivot calipers? because you're probably going to want to change them

Soldato
Had a great week in mallorca got a good few miles in and loads of climbing including soller, sa collabra, road to formentera and the lukk climb a couple of times. Will definitely be back next year or sooner.

Soldato
before spending too much time cleaning them, have you experienced the stopping* power of steel single-pivot calipers? because you're probably going to want to change them

Haha yeah - I'm going to try keep as much of it original as possible though, it'll be more of a chill ride bike more than out speeding and doing endless miles. 100% changing the pads, though!

Caporegime
Had my first off at the track today, plenty of burns and a hole in my Assos bibs to top it off. Hope that their warranty is as good as I've heard. :(

We had a guy up in our office on secondment who spent a lot of time at the velodrome. He came off and bruised his hip and thigh something awful and had to have a huge "splinter" of pine pulled out of his back where he hit the boards. He kept it as a souvenir :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom