Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
We had a guy up in our office on secondment who spent a lot of time at the velodrome. He came off and bruised his hip and thigh something awful and had to have a huge "splinter" of pine pulled out of his back where he hit the boards. He kept it as a souvenir :D

Haha nice. I've found a couple of splinters so far but nothing souvenir worthy. Showering was an experience though. :o

Man of Honour
Sounds painful /re your off :eek: At my first taster session there was almost immediately an off (before I even went onto the track for the first time - it was somewhat alarming) and a huge chunk of skin was ripped off someone's thigh. Completely not their fault either.

Soldato
Got the bike up on the stand today to have a good look at the rear mech.

I dismantled the whole jockey assembly and gave it all a really good scrub and degrease until it was like new again, good job really as it was rammed with dirt, I was actually quite shocked at how much dirt and grit could actually get in their, I gave the jockey wheels a really good service which I'm impressed with.

Whilst the wheel was removed and it was up on the stand I also unattached the rear mech from the frame via the two little screws and held the mech open whilst I got s tooth brush and some spray degreaser and sprayed the hell out of the spring.

I reassembled everything and got it back to how it were before I started and gave it a little ride outside the house for a couple hundred yards to ensure the gearing was set up properly, took me a while to mess around with all the gearing but I think it's all about how it were, I really need to look up bike maintenance properly so I can master it as everything I did today I did without any kind of reference.

What I found thoug is once it was back together the rear mech wasn't in the same place, i must have pressed on it a little too hard and moved it slightly so it weren't sat at the same angle, I got it to be about right but I'm not sure how to set that up properly. I could do with doing it all again, so when it comes to changing the gear cables I'm going to strip it all completely off the bike, clean everything and learn how to fit it all back together properly.

I really enjoyed messing around with the bike and learning to maintain it properly, the mech now takes up the slack in the chain so it's a success as far as I'm concerned so far, I'll know for sure once I commute to work Tuesday, I'll go a longish route so I can test it up hill and on flats.

Just hoping I've done a good job now!

Can anyone recommend me a big forum to use primarily for cycling?

Thanks to everyone that gave me the advice I needed mid week!

Soldato
Gotcha, was wondering for a minute there!

In terms of getting it adjusted right, try the park tool website - there's loads of guides there.

Haha no worries!

Thank you, I'll take a look at that.

I've found this though for the time being!

http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/maintenance#6Mv6DabbHgRBbCJw.97

Is it possible to fit really good winter tyres to road bikes for use throughout winter?

Anyone think much to the "big blue book of bicycle repair"?

Last edited:
Soldato
other than suspension and discs there's very little difference between the two. Headsets, gears, bottom brackets etc are all the same principles

Soldato
Shoved my saddle up 10mm or so when I got home so I'll see how I get on with that. My initial highly scientific ride around the block felt ok though. "I've now got chronic knee pain" post probably coming soon :p

Legs felt fine but I seemed to get way more saddle pain :rolleyes:

I'll give it a few more rides and either drop it back down or strap a pillow to the saddle :p

Also my ride didn't auto sync to Strava from Garmin Connect. Anyone else have trouble today?

Soldato
Haha nice. I've found a couple of splinters so far but nothing souvenir worthy. Showering was an experience though. :o

Healing vibes!

Lots of swearing first time in the shower I bet, and second, and third... :(

I was able to wear shorts for a couple of days to air my burns and let them heal, not sure you'll have that option though.

Man of Honour
[Damien];27935286 said:
Managed to get out for a 50 miler today. Night and day compared to my abysmal showing last weekend. I wasn't back up to par (and who would be this soon?) but I felt good despite my HR being in the 160-180 range for a fair chunk of it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/288384268

Looks very good considering your long break :) How're the legs today?

Legs felt fine but I seemed to get way more saddle pain :rolleyes:

I'll give it a few more rides and either drop it back down or strap a pillow to the saddle :p

Also my ride didn't auto sync to Strava from Garmin Connect. Anyone else have trouble today?

Mine has been fine today but to be honest I find it is very hit and miss.

Associate
Hey guys, need some advice as I am pretty unhappy and down at the moment. I know it's only a silly strava challenge to do 130km but I done 86 miles today, my Garmin died at 78.8 miles I kid you not! So on my upload to Strava I of course am missing a good few miles and the completion of the challenge. Yes I know it doesn't mean much, but it was 6 hours hard work today, I want the challenge complete on my profile :(

I was with a friend, we done the exact same route starting and finishing at his place, so he has the full GPS data. On strava, is there any way possible I can edit my upload to get the few extra miles on? I went into the crop part but that only lets you chop out parts, not add on more distance.

Any advice appreciated. I am too tired to be angry right now but once it sinks in I will be raging.

Try this site.
Download the amended file onto your Garmin then re-upload to Strava? My best and only suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom