Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Legs are really hurting today. Was intending to rest on Saturday, ready for a long group ride on Sunday.
Around 5:30pm on Saturday I get a call from a friend, "fancy a quick bike ride?". I figured what the heck, I can do a quick relaxing one. Ended up being a really tough 25 miles. My mate Kev, was trying to push himself on the flats, which took much effort to keep up. I wouldn't have minded, but I had left pretty much everything on the previous climbs.

Really pushed it towards the end of the ride, and managed to hit 205bpm bombing it down a descent. Didn't think my HR could reach such heights, I've seen 200+ before but figured it was a glitch. Don't think that's the case this time, as both the HR monitors (wrist and chest strap), I was wearing displayed 203 and 205bpm. Kinda frightened me a bit, so I backed off and let it drop down.

Group ride on the Sunday, was already feeling the previous evenings ride on my legs. 10 miles to get to the meeting point, so I left mega early so that I could there with little effort. As usual, I pushed too hard and had to wait 30 mins for everyone :/
Usual remarks about my clothing, lack of cleats and rucksack, but I chose to ignore them. Although it was a group ride, I spent most of the ride solo, something was up as hardly anyone spoke to me. Well apart from one guy who asked, "You need to take the sink off your back", I think he referring to the rucksack. I think I'm going to have to find people to ride with that are less elitist. It's becoming pretty clear that I don't fit in with these guys
Lot's of other cyclists about, especially around Beacon Hill, where they just laid new tarmac.
It was a tough old ride, 43 miles (furthest of the year so far!), and my most climbing in a single ride. The last couple of miles were a real killer, I almost cried when I saw my road, and knew I was close to home.

Definite rest day today, lot's of food will be eaten :)Hopefully SoliD popping round later to do a saddle swap. Hope everyone else had a good weekend?

How come you're riding with a backpack anyway?

Pretty easy weekend for me really. Went out quickly on Saturday evening, thought about doing a quick RP lap as conditions were very good, but bailed when I came across a queue of cars at Richmond gate. Wasn't even trying rest of the lap and still got a 18:30 so would have been a rapid one.

Went out to watch some of a big E12 race that was going on in Bletchingly and ended up being a 70 mile ride. Took it fairly easy though, off out to do some surrey hills this evening too.

Associate
There sound like a complete bung of expletive expletive expletives! You're better off without them. There is no need for it. Yeah okay, there is always banter, but that sounds malicious.

When you say you spent the ride solo, were you off the font, back or just on your own amongst them? cycling can be a lonely sport when you're out on your own, but that atmosphere just sounds unpleasant.

I started off at the back on my own. Generally, I'm a faster climber than the rest of the group, so I overtook on the hills and waited at the top. Generally on the flats, I was smack bang in the middle, either on my own or with a silent partner :p

I would join a proper cycling group, but I'm trying to get experience of group riding in smaller groups before I move up to a big bunch. I did a trial run at a local club last year, but the pelaton crashed within the first 5 miles, the guy in front of me broke his collarbone. The guy infront of him had cut his brake cables too short, so when he started to steer, it applied his front brakes. I'm not really concerned about my own safety, but after that event I was a little nervous about causing an accident myself. So as I say, just wanted to gain a bit of group riding experience before going back. Do you not think I'll have the same problem with a cycling club though? Everyone in their club gear, and I rock up with Sports Direct shorts, and a dirty fluorescent back pack? :p

Soldato
I started off at the back on my own. Generally, I'm a faster climber than the rest of the group, so I overtook on the hills and waited at the top. Generally on the flats, I was smack bang in the middle, either on my own or with a silent partner :p

I would join a proper cycling group, but I'm trying to get experience of group riding in smaller groups before I move up to a big bunch. I did a trial run at a local club last year, but the pelaton crashed within the first 5 miles, the guy in front of me broke his collarbone. The guy infront of him had cut his brake cables too short, so when he started to steer, it applied his front brakes. I'm not really concerned about my own safety, but after that event I was a little nervous about causing an accident myself. So as I say, just wanted to gain a bit of group riding experience before going back. Do you not think I'll have the same problem with a cycling club though? Everyone in their club gear, and I rock up with Sports Direct shorts, and a dirty fluorescent back pack? :p

Totally depends on the club and ethos I guess.

Why is it you need to ride with a backpack and shorts anyway?

Associate
Do you not think I'll have the same problem with a cycling club though? Everyone in their club gear, and I rock up with Sports Direct shorts, and a dirty fluorescent back pack? :p

Why the backpack though? Not having a go, just curious. With two bottle cages on my bike, a small saddle bag for repair stuff and the pockets on the back of my top I have more than enough room.

Associate
How come you're riding with a backpack anyway?

Mainly because during the winter, the jerseys/jackets I wore didn't have any pockets, and I've kind of got used to it now. Plus I hate putting stuff in my jersey pockets, I've lost so many precious bananas that have fallen out.

Saddlebags don't seem that reliable, quite a few of my friends have snapped off mid ride.
I just find a backpack perfect; I can fit lots of food in, I don't really notice it on, and it doesn't appear to slow me down particularly.

Soldato
Mainly because during the winter, the jerseys/jackets I wore didn't have any pockets, and I've kind of got used to it now. Plus I hate putting stuff in my jersey pockets, I've lost so many precious bananas that have fallen out.

Saddlebags don't seem that reliable, quite a few of my friends have snapped off mid ride.
I just find a backpack perfect; I can fit lots of food in, I don't really notice it on, and it doesn't appear to slow me down particularly.

No offence, but at a guess at the speed you're going its probably not going to. Unless you're getting up near averaging 17-18mph it's probably no bother.

Why not just buy a decent ish jersey with good pockets, or at least lycra shorts?

Not having a go either, but unless you're joining a very leisurely bunch of open minded riders you are going to get some odd looks and comments, as frankly its a bit odd. You don't need to carry a huge amount besides.

I did 70 miles on sunday and had my phone, a gel, tube, lever and co2 in my pockets. Have never lost anything out of a pocket on a ride, and don't like saddlebags.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
There's the kryptonite evolution mini, an orange one. That's alright, I have it and it's not massive but is pretty sturdy. Not a full size D lock and not as pricey as the fahgeddaboutit.

I use the kryptonite evolution mini too and it's a decent lock. After a year of all-weather riding abuse I did have to add pencil led shavings to get it to stop sticking but that's to be expected of most locks really.
Thanks for the recommendations - had one arrive in the post this morning and it's very nice. ANOTHER key on my keyring now :p

Soldato
I'd find it really uncomfortable with a bag. I do have some jerseys with shallow pockets I won't put too much in, but others have been perfect and held everything well. I would be considering a decent saddle bag and if more space the jersey or a tri bag type thing purely because of comfort. Probably notice a difference riding without the bag too!

Soldato
There is good reason for why cyclists wear what they do, its not just conforming. Though for branding etc there is certrainly a degree of that.

Cleats as they improve pedalling efficiency and control
Lycra as its form fitting, comfortable and aero
And no backpacks as its a very inefficient way of carrying things.

Soldato
There is good reason for why cyclists wear what they do, its not just conforming. Though for branding etc there is certrainly a degree of that.

Cleats as they improve pedalling efficiency and control
Lycra as its form fitting, comfortable and aero
And no backpacks as its a very inefficient way of carrying things.

I always wore a bib, but generally put a pair of shorts and jersey or whatever on top. After a few months and less self consciousness :)p) I just wear the bib and a jersey on top, definitely much more comfortable than shorts over the top and don't really care what I 'look' like as much as I did beforehand. Do still ride in trainers though... even though I have two pairs of cleated shoes :p

Associate
No offence, but at a guess at the speed you're going its probably not going to. Unless you're getting up near averaging 17-18mph it's probably no bother.

Why not just buy a decent ish jersey with good pockets, or at least lycra shorts?

Not having a go either, but unless you're joining a very leisurely bunch of open minded riders you are going to get some odd looks and comments, as frankly its a bit odd. You don't need to carry a huge amount besides.

I did 70 miles on sunday and had my phone, a gel, tube, lever and co2 in my pockets. Have never lost anything out of a pocket on a ride, and don't like saddlebags.

I'll easily average 17-18mph on the carbon road bike.

I do wear lycra shorts, but they're cheap MuddyFox ones. I'm looking to purchase some good quality ones for the longer rides though.

I've yet to find any jersey, that can hold everything without falling out. By the time I've got 2 tubes in there, levers, phone, keys and a couple of energy bars, the bananas just about sit on top and always fall out.
This was wearing my most expensive jersey (£60).
Personally, I find it hard to fuel up before the ride, so I like to bring a lot of food with me.

Why should people care how I look? As long as I can keep up with the group, what's the problem?

Soldato

I wouldn't let that experience put you off joining a decent club. The one that I've joined has a regular Saturday social ride that rides to a cafe stop and back again. On my first ride I was wondering if it was for me as I'm a naturally shy person and didn't really manage to talk to many people as we were riding. At the cafe stop though, I got to know people and the ride home was brilliant.

Most clubs are welcoming of new members, no matter what gear they have. If the bunch you tried are elitist snobs then find another bunch that aren't.

Soldato
Did my longest ride & most elevation to date on Saturday in prep for the IOW in May. Needed to spend a bit more time in the saddle, experience some unfamiliarity and cover a bit more distance.

Strava route planner showed it as 3,000ft but only appears to have been nearer 2600ft. (45m)

Figured I would take it a bit easier in the gym on Friday and not kill my legs squatting heavily like I usually do. Regardless my exercise choices turned out to actually be worse and my glutes & quads were totally fried and full of DOMS before I even got on the bike. Which made the ride really quite unpleasant in places but lots of really nice scenery and the weather was great.

Never the less not as slow as I was expecting and took it as an opportunity to pace myself on the climbs as previously when they get steep I've just been going in guns blazing and barely making it through.

https://www.strava.com/activities/287795358

Last edited:
Soldato

I do wear lycra shorts, but they're cheap MuddyFox ones. I'm looking to purchase some good quality ones for the longer rides though.

I've yet to find any jersey, that can hold everything without falling out. By the time I've got 2 tubes in there, levers, phone, keys and a couple of energy bars, the bananas just about sit on top and always fall out.
Personally, I find it hard to fuel up before the ride, so I like to bring a lot of food with me.

Why should people care how I look? As long as I can keep up with the group, what's the problem?

They probably don't really care how you look exactly, they just don't understand why you're behaving quite strangely in terms of road bike riding in general.

Its like me turning up to a swimming club and jumping in the pool training with clothes on. Doesn't matter how fast you are, people are going to think its odd.

Soldato
When I first started getting on the road bike 3 years ago I did have a small backpack carrying the things which my saddle bag and jersey pockets now carry.

I couldn't imagine going back to a backpack now.

I did have a banana fall out of my pocket once, I went back to see if it was salvageable... splat!

Associate

If you find that the best setup for you then screw what anyone else thinks tbh.

I started off in MTB shorts with a backpack (mainly for commuting - can fit a decent size pump in for speedy repairs and clothes for work) but got road shoes with SPD pedals along the way. If you get SPD MTB shoes then they're decent enough to walk on when necessary due to the recessed cleats. Trust me, you will notice the difference. Being able to pull with the opposite leg you're pushing with helps immensely. You miss it when it isn't there.

For recreational rides I have this saddle bag with multitool, tube, levers, CO2 canisters in. It's really sturdy w/ no flex on the bracket so it'd take getting hit by a car to dislodge it.

Then my jersey pockets (I like the tops with 3 vertical drop pockets in): left pocket for phone/money, middle for keys, right for munchies.

Associate
They probably don't really care how you look exactly, they just don't understand why you're behaving quite strangely in terms of road bike riding in general.

Its like me turning up to a swimming club and jumping in the pool training with clothes on. Doesn't matter how fast you are, people are going to think its odd.

I don't see how it's behaving strangely though. It's not exactly like I'm competing in a race. It's a Sunday bike ride with a small group. If I was riding a TT or road race, then I wouldn't wear backpack.

I don't see how you can make the same comparison. A swimming club would have lockers to store items. A more appropriate comparison would be trunks as opposed to speedos, which again unless I was competing with a set of rules I wouldn't care.

Associate
[Damien];27936688 said:
I started off in MTB shorts with a backpack (mainly for commuting - can fit a decent size pump in for speedy repairs and clothes for work) but got road shoes with SPD pedals along the way. If you get SPD MTB shoes then they're decent enough to walk on when necessary due to the recessed cleats. Trust me, you will notice the difference. Being able to pull with the opposite leg you're pushing with helps immensely. You miss it when it isn't there.

I have SPD-SLs on my road bike, but I'm using the CX bike at the moment, as I need to replace the saddle on the road bike. The CX bike is my commuter bike, which I like flat pedals on. If I was on the road bike, I'd use clipless pedals, but tbh I don't particularly miss them.

Soldato
meh I still ride with a backpack :) 10ltr one, small, fits everything I need.. no way of fitting a saddle bag with my current setup and the fact that I hate tan lines = no jerseys for me either :)

Associate
meh I still ride with a backpack :) 10ltr one, small, fits everything I need.. no way of fitting a saddle bag with my current setup and the fact that I hate tan lines = no jerseys for me either :)

We could start our own group :D I'm not moving to London though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom