Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I wouldn't leave my key in an unsecured jersey pocket. I'd always opt to put it into a small zip pocket that most of my jerseys have. If not, then into the saddle bag it goes.

I've never had a problem with saddle bags falling/nearly falling off. I don't use the ones where they clamp to the seat post, that just seems like a PITA if you want to swap bikes. I've always used the ones with velcro straps, not a problem. So far ;)

Soldato
I have no problems with the SIS gels. ZipVit ones are okay, just a bit gloopy, and the High 5 ones are way too runny.

Torq gels are very tasty though, but twice the price of SIS gels.

The SiS upset my belly for a few hours afterwards, not sick, sick but just weird sensation/loss of appetite! I found the High5 fine being runny - easier to suck outta the packets! ;)

Guess it's all down to personal preference as I don't like the SiS tabs either, the High5's are good and the Wiggle ones are even better (not just because of the price!).

gnats are back out in force along any trails next to a river/water source.....

in clouds of about a million... literally ride into them and you can hear them hitting you like rain.
you look down and about 200 gnats are hitching a ride....

Yup had a few facefulls of them so far... Thankfully the winds seem to keep them away at the weekends, so far! I've been getting lots more 'wildlife' in my helmet vents when out on the weekends! Thankfully nothing that stings, yet! :eek:

I'll certainly consider it, I'm not sure I'd make a good leader though, I get lost on rides a lot :p

Just had a look, Rapha do a backpack, but they only have pink in stock and it's £150 :eek: My Hi-Viz one from Amazon only cost £11!

My Deuter Bike One was £53 (when I got it on sale) and I'm still slightly disappointed in it for the high price, just little things (I can live with) but I wouldn't buy it again. Quality is superb though so fairly sure I'll get my moneys worth.

I've only had an issue with jersey pockets once, when my phone fell out and the screen smashed. I didn't realise at the time but my house/car keys had also fallen out at the same place. Luckily they were still there when I went back.

Always use a backpack when commuting, with that days clothes and food in.

Thankfully I've only lost food, neck gaiter and a hat from jersey pockets when commuting. The jacket I use now (DHB EQ2.5) only has 2 internal pockets, my previous had 2 larger external which I used more (so I'm carrying less on me than before). Ideally I want a toptube bag to carry some of the things I'm carrying in my rucksack daily to make it lighter. Much easier to carry them on the bike rather than on my back in this weather!

you could always become a skyride leader and lead your own.

you get paid too for doing something you would anyway

I think it's just a one day course but they only do them at certain times of the year.

In Newcastle Upon Tyne it seems like they are nearly always trying to recruit more ride leaders

Not a bad idea, getting paid to ride! ;) But I guess it depends on how many people sign up for the ride? Still a great way to meet other riders, even though the majority will be fairly casual/new/slow :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Think everyone just needs to get tighter Jerseys, I generally leave my keys, phone etc just wobbling around, but if the pockets are elastic topped they generally shut back. I've had all sorts in the back, although do always use a saddle bag, as when you're using bikes for daily commute, cannot be bothered to make sure I've got tubes, tool, levers. (Never had a bag fall off luckily (Famous last words))

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My Deuter Bike One was £53 (when I got it on sale) and I'm still slightly disappointed in it for the high price, just little things (I can live with) but I wouldn't buy it again. Quality is superb though so fairly sure I'll get my moneys worth.
I commute with a Deuter bag. My old one lasted 4 years of daily use plus running plus marathon training and went through the wash countless times. You'll definitely get your money's worth :p

The prices seem to have flown up though. The old one was £25 but the replacement was £45 :confused:

Which bits do you find annoying, out of interest? Only asking because I could do with a slightly bigger bag and there are a couple of things I'm not so keen on with this one (e.g. the side pouches aren't deep enough to carry a bottle).

Soldato
Think everyone just needs to get tighter Jerseys

We're all not as slim as you! ;):eek::rolleyes:

I commute with a Deuter bag. My old one lasted 4 years of daily use plus running plus marathon training and went through the wash countless times. You'll definitely get your money's worth :p

The prices seem to have flown up though. The old one was £25 but the replacement was £45 :confused:

Which bits do you find annoying, out of interest? Only asking because I could do with a slightly bigger bag and there are a couple of things I'm not so keen on with this one (e.g. the side pouches aren't deep enough to carry a bottle).

The bag itself is excellent quality, the side pouches are ok for 'bits' and a bottle will fit, although not what I'd call secure enough for prolonged riding. Also anything in the side pockets you will see on the edge of your peripheral vision when 'shoulder checking'. A bottle would obscure quite a bit of that vision!

The foam rear panel that holds the back 'flat' (so the 'Airstripes back panels' are the only thing in contact with your back) soon distorts so the middle of the pack will be touching your back after using it a couple of rides. The shoulder straps although comfortable and breathable are wider than they need to be so you soon get warm under them.

The 'helmet' carrier is next to useless, it's not large enough for most road style helmets, I've only ever used mine once (to try it out) but carrying a helmet when off the bike is hardly a hardship... I usually clip the chin strap through a shoulder strap. I've used the carrier for other things though - work shoes and even my jacket/tights.

The top pocket isn't large enough for anything useful, mine carries a glasses case, set of keys and a mobile phone at a push (and is then quite rammed).
The middle pocket is almost too large, I use it for saddle cover, helmet rain cover, wallet and bike locks and there's still room! Quite often rooting through it to find the thing I want.

Final criticism would be the clamshell style main opening not zipping back far enough, when you have things in the pockets you have to open the top zips all the way back and still pull the bag apart to get to things at the bottom (usually my lunch box!).

As I mentioned they're mostly my gripes probably stemming from carrying too much and having the 20L bag at 80%+ capacity every day... I should've got a 25L! ;)

There's lots of good points too, great reflective strips, lots of adjustment, comfortable chest & waist straps. Very little movement in it so it doesn't 'bounce around'. The rain cover is superb, I use it all weathers as being high-viz and on my back it really stands out (even in the summer!) :cool:

Caporegime
I've never had a problem with saddle bags falling/nearly falling off. I don't use the ones where they clamp to the seat post, that just seems like a PITA if you want to swap bikes. I've always used the ones with velcro straps, not a problem. So far ;)

when I was searching a saddle bag all the comments suggested the clip in ones always fail.
had my strap one for about 2 years now and no issues

takes about 20seconds to unclip the straps anyway

Last edited:
Caporegime
Operation Lipstick-On-A-Pig is taking shape. I've just spent £90 on Claris chainset, brakes, derailleurs and bottom bracket, which means I've now basically got an entire claris groupset for my old TDF, as I've already got the levers. The next job is to make a headset removal tool and strip the whole thing down and send the frame for powder coating, which will cost me a bit over £100. Assuming I can sell the old 2300 parts for maybe £30 or so it'll end up costing me £160-70. It's a fair amount to spend on a fairly old, heavy bike, but it'd cost me a lot more to pick up a decent winter frame that will take mudguards and 28mm tyres and get me through winter. Besides, I actually quite like riding the old thing and I like the idea of keeping it going, so I'll stick with it until it properly falls to bits or I have a damn sight more money than I do now. We shall see...

Soldato
Had an absolutely awful day at work today. Got home, went out on the bike and for a bit of stress relief and averaged 17.9mph (for 45 minutes). That's about 3mph faster than my usual pace.

I guess the lesson here is to always ride angry?

Soldato
Not sure if this has already been posted but, power meter for £167, release Dec 15.

Looks like a good idea.
their explanation of the increased Qfactor sounds like a load of waffle to me though. It would be very easy for manufacturers to increase Qfactor by putting spacers in the bottom bracket or pedals, having a wider bb shell or different shaped crank arms. If there was any truth in the claimed advantages of a larger Qfactor somebody would have done it. I suspect that a lot of research has gone into Qfactor it and it's not just a random size that nobody has ever considered changing.

Soldato
Had an absolutely awful day at work today. Got home, went out on the bike and for a bit of stress relief and averaged 17.9mph (for 45 minutes). That's about 3mph faster than my usual pace.

I always found I was quicker (only about 0.5 - 1mph) on my post work rides which I found a bit weird. I swapped to a job where I get less wound up now though so I don't notice that anymore :p

My longest ever ride today at a shade over 31 miles but I think I could have done 35 judging by how I felt when I got back. Short ride tomorrow, nothing for two days and then I'm going to the forest to ruin myself on my MTB again :p

Also fitted my new tyres so we'll see if the reviews are right or if they are too good to be true at the price :p

Last edited:
Soldato
We're all not as slim as you! ;):eek::rolleyes:

Should make it easier to get a tighter jersey then? :D

I always found I was quicker (only about 0.5 - 1mph) on my post work rides which I found a bit weird. I swapped to a job where I get less wound up now though so I don't notice that anymore :p

There was actually a study into TTers that found you perform better in an evening TT than a morning one, could be work, or just your body able to perform better once it is up and at it ready for any action.

Associate
My longest ever ride today at a shade over 31 miles but I think I could have done 35 judging by how I felt when I got back. Short ride tomorrow, nothing for two days and then I'm going to the forest to ruin myself on my MTB again :p

Good ride Rob , its nice to see someone else come through my neck of the woods. Checked out your segments compared to mine (from B.Broom to Bawburgh) and it looks like we're pretty well matched ;)

I'll have to take a ride down your way soon and give you a laugh at my times on your segments :p

Soldato
Good ride Rob , its nice to see someone else come through my neck of the woods. Checked out your segments compared to mine (from B.Broom to Bawburgh) and it looks like we're pretty well matched ;)

I'll have to take a ride down your way soon and give you a laugh at my times on your segments :p

Close on some but you nailed me on others! That was my first ride up to Barnham Broom. Normally I take a more direct route to Bawburgh but I decided to go a bit further today.

Uploaded the wrong route to my Garmin though so I still ended up doing the rubbish bit through the city. Riding through Bowthorpe I thought I'd ridden into the set of Jeremy Kyle with tracksuit clad yocals shouting and balling at each other!

Associate
Close on some but you nailed me on others! That was my first ride up to Barnham Broom. Normally I take a more direct route to Bawburgh but I decided to go a bit further today.

Uploaded the wrong route to my Garmin though so I still ended up doing the rubbish bit through the city. Riding through Bowthorpe I thought I'd ridden into the set of Jeremy Kyle with tracksuit clad yocals shouting and balling at each other!

As I said before I just dont venture into the city as I prefer the open roads around the villages , much nicer views and less stop/start. I might take a little pootle down your way today , I'm at work at the moment but should be home by 10am. I'll have to decide whether to eat first and go out later or go straight out and eat later

Man of Honour
Busy day yesterday in work and I was still knackered from the weekend so I just went out for a very relaxed 20 miles along the Fallowfield loop and Bridgewater canal. I don't tend to cycle them very much these days due to wanting to go at a decent speed but it was good to take it easy in the sun for once.

Feeling pretty dead today. Probably hangover :p Need to shift it so I can get out for a longer ride after work tonight.

Soldato
2 Hills training ride for me last night which included Box Hill. Averaging just under 22mph for 37miles including those hills was super tough. Went on the attack up Box but got reeled back in :o

Probably the toughest training ride I've done to date, was awesome.

Soldato
when I was searching a saddle bag all the comments suggested the clip in ones always fail.
had my strap one for about 2 years now and no issues

takes about 20seconds to unclip the straps anyway

My Ortleib clip-on has done well for 12 months so far, but one of the main reasons I got it was the reviews all mentioning the clip was sturdy and wouldn't break! Next (larger bag) will have straps! ;)

Good for segments, probably not so good for easy rides/bad traffic rides or recovery rides lol :D:o

Also fitted my new tyres so we'll see if the reviews are right or if they are too good to be true at the price :p

Similar to me, I went from doing an easy 14 miles (with a stop) to a hard/fast 32 miles with none! I've found once over the 20 mile mark it's all about fuelling yourself more than anything else. Fairly sure I can do much further with the right fuelling, actually have a 40 mile 'mini-sportive' this weekend! :)

Should make it easier to get a tighter jersey then? :D

You say that... Ordered a jersey from Wiggle yesterday... First time I've ordered a Medium and not a Large! :eek:

Any Scottish people frequent this thread?
Or anyone travelling up from anywhere for the Loch Ness E-Tape this Sunday?

There's Derek, not sure of many others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom