Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
They probably don't really care how you look exactly, they just don't understand why you're behaving quite strangely in terms of road bike riding in general.

Its like me turning up to a swimming club and jumping in the pool training with clothes on. Doesn't matter how fast you are, people are going to think its odd.

Maybe my club is strange then as we have people on our social rides with small backpacks all the time. :p

Soldato
It felt so strange on Friday when I went down the canal on the mountain bike without clipless. Okay, not that noticeable when travelling at speed, but then negotiating things at slow speed, starting, stopping, I missed them.

Soldato
Not heard of the book, but I'm more of a 'google when you need it' kinda guy. I've used parktool and RCUK for most of my 'repairs' and I think I'm probably at a similar level to you - I like to teach myself but for daunting stuff I like to have a read of something first!

Got this week to learn how to adjust/reindex my gears after a rear derailleur cable 'tweak' so we're both doing similar! ;)

Shame you dont live closer!

Could teach each other rather than taking 3 hours to clean the spring and service the jockey wheels lol

Associate
I have SPD-SLs on my road bike, but I'm using the CX bike at the moment, as I need to replace the saddle on the road bike. The CX bike is my commuter bike, which I like flat pedals on. If I was on the road bike, I'd use clipless pedals, but tbh I don't particularly miss them.

Ah, fair enough. I thought you didn't use clipless at all. On my CX commuter I use one sided pedals (these). Best of both worlds then.

Caporegime
It felt so strange on Friday when I went down the canal on the mountain bike without clipless. Okay, not that noticeable when travelling at speed, but then negotiating things at slow speed, starting, stopping, I missed them.

Only one of my bikes has flats now, and even those are just double sided clipless/flat pedals. The bit that always gets me is when I stop at the lights and go to move my right pedal up towards the top and just end up lifting my knee in the air. It feels really weird, and then I have to go back and hook my foot under the pedal to bring it up :p

Caporegime
On the backpack front... I can't see why a backpack is necessary if you've got three jersey pockets, two bottle cages, and a partridge in a saddle bag. That being said, if you want to ride that way, then fine. I think the group is being a bit snobbish by making a fuss about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
having nearly gone up the back of someone who lost forward momentum when his unretained feet skipped off his pedals over a bump I can see the desire for a group to have foot retention of some kind, be it toeclips, SPDs whatever

the backpack thing is a crock though

Soldato
I just find a backpack perfect; I can fit lots of food in, I don't really notice it on, and it doesn't appear to slow me down particularly.

Not getting involved in the discussion too much but have to agree with some of Jan's points, regardless of the opinions of these other riders he shouldn't feel he has to change because of them. Maybe change because he wants to! :D

DHB Active jerseys with rear pockets are regularly £15 £9! with Wiggle's free delivery/returns that's an easy option to 'try one out'. For an entry level jersey they're superb (in my opinion).

Possibly the even 'easiest' option (no clothing changes!) would be to get a toptube-bag? My missus got one from Tesco a week or two ago for £3.99 (she wears no cycling gear and wanted to avoid backpack for 2 of her 4 daily journeys). I'll ask her later if they still have any as I quite fancy one for myself. It even has a waterproof seethrough phone pocket on the top! Would be 3 or 4 times the capacity of my 0.6L saddle bag (so around 2L capacity - more than enough for a couple of tubes, couple of bananas, phone, keys and few bags of haribo/bars.

I'll be using it next weekend for a 40 mile Sportive 'Spring Challenge' style ride (but thinking about it I should get one so I'm carrying less in my Backpack when commuting!).

On the backpack front... I can't see why a backpack is necessary if you've got three jersey pockets, two bottle cages, and a partridge in a saddle bag. That being said, if you want to ride that way, then fine. I think the group is being a bit snobbish by making a fuss about it.

IIRC Jan doesn't have rear pockets on most of his riding gear and the times he has put stuff in pockets he's lost things! Defo being snobbish!

If it was a Rapha backpack would they have reacted the same? :D

They'd probably ask where they could get one! Maybe that's the way forwards, brand it as Rapha/Castelli! ;)

I don't know how you guys can stomach SIS gels. Only other ones i've had are Torq, but they are so much nicer and smaller too for more energy.

I don't like SIS gels too much easier, the High5 I have no problem with! Not tried any others...

My Northwave Celsius GTX turned up (size 43). They're fantastic but slightly big... Wiggle have no 42's in stock (and I waited a few weeks with these on back order) so I'm reluctant to send them back. I'll be wearing thicker socks in winter anyways?! My normal SPD's (Shimano XC30's) are a size 43 and a slightly better/tighter fit.

Last edited:
Soldato
We could start our own group :D I'm not moving to London though!

your loss ;) all these awesome roads to ride haha..

tbh I couldn't care less who wears what? enjoy the ride and be done with it.

for all I care I'm in a sleeveless top 90% of the time, with raybans and a snapback cap! :o

on that note, I love pedestrians..

random clips from friday/today :)

Soldato
I have no problems with the SIS gels. ZipVit ones are okay, just a bit gloopy, and the High 5 ones are way too runny.

Torq gels are very tasty though, but twice the price of SIS gels.

Caporegime
gnats are back out in force along any trails next to a river/water source.....

in clouds of about a million... literally ride into them and you can hear them hitting you like rain.
you look down and about 200 gnats are hitching a ride....

I started off at the back on my own. Generally, I'm a faster climber than the rest of the group, so I overtook on the hills and waited at the top. Generally on the flats, I was smack bang in the middle, either on my own or with a silent partner :p

I would join a proper cycling group, but I'm trying to get experience of group riding in smaller groups before I move up to a big bunch. I did a trial run at a local club last year, but the pelaton crashed within the first 5 miles, the guy in front of me broke his collarbone. The guy infront of him had cut his brake cables too short, so when he started to steer, it applied his front brakes. I'm not really concerned about my own safety, but after that event I was a little nervous about causing an accident myself. So as I say, just wanted to gain a bit of group riding experience before going back. Do you not think I'll have the same problem with a cycling club though? Everyone in their club gear, and I rock up with Sports Direct shorts, and a dirty fluorescent back pack? :p
Go on skyride social rides instead :p

I've never been on one but seen pics of my local ones they are considered social rides and a lot of only 20 mile or under but they do some 40-60+ mile rides as well which says they go around 16mph which isn't to slow and I know some of them also have their own facebok group anyone can join where they probably push a little harder

Last edited:
Associate
Go on skyride social rides instead :p

I've never been on one but seen pics of my local ones they are considered social rides and a lot of only 20 mile or under but they do some 40-60+ mile rides as well which says they go around 16mph which isn't to slow and I know some of them also have their own facebok group anyone can join where they probably push a little harder

There's not an awful lot near me, I've just checked. The only ones greater than 16-18 miles, are 30 miles away. I can't quite do a 60mile trip, then a 40mile trip on top, hopefully one day :p

Caporegime
you could always become a skyride leader and lead your own.

you get paid too for doing something you would anyway

Ride Leaders are contracted to British Cycling and are paid £45 per ride (£30 for Assistant Ride Leaders). They also receive (free) a branded jersey and rain jacket for use on the rides (they have "Leader" in large lettering on the back) and a first aid kit. Oh and a year's free BC membership
I think it's just a one day course but they only do them at certain times of the year.

In Newcastle Upon Tyne it seems like they are nearly always trying to recruit more ride leaders

Last edited:
Associate
you could always become a skyride leader and lead your own.

you get paid too for doing something you would anyway

I think it's just a one day course but they only do them at certain times of the year.

In Newcastle Upon Tyne it seems like they are nearly always trying to recruit more ride leaders

I'll certainly consider it, I'm not sure I'd make a good leader though, I get lost on rides a lot :p

Just had a look, Rapha do a backpack, but they only have pink in stock and it's £150 :eek: My Hi-Viz one from Amazon only cost £11!

Soldato
I've only had an issue with jersey pockets once, when my phone fell out and the screen smashed. I didn't realise at the time but my house/car keys had also fallen out at the same place. Luckily they were still there when I went back.

Always use a backpack when commuting, with that days clothes and food in.

Associate
I've only had an issue with jersey pockets once, when my phone fell out and the screen smashed. I didn't realise at the time but my house/car keys had also fallen out at the same place. Luckily they were still there when I went back.

Always use a backpack when commuting, with that days clothes and food in.

See that's my main fear with a saddle bag, or using jersey pockets. My keys fall out / saddle bag breaks without me realising. It happened to one of the guys on my ride once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom