Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I find I'm incredibly cautious in my riding. I always expect that car drivers are going to do something stupid. I'm rarely wrong.
Same here. I think it's a good attitude to have. Sometimes you'll see riders filtering through traffic on the right without a care in the world and occasionally they'll get well ahead of you by doing so - but then you think back to all those occasions when a driver did something unpredictable or deliberately tried to give you a scare and you think, is it really worth it when all I'm trying to do is get to and from work safely?

Soldato
Sometimes you'll see riders filtering through traffic on the right without a care in the world and occasionally they'll get well ahead of you by doing so

That's me most of the time, although I only tend to do it in stationary traffic. I'm also fully aware of what's happening in front of me! If I drain dodge then a large part of my home commute would be stationary (stationary traffic with no space to undertake)... Pretty pointless taking the bike! :confused:

If traffic is moving over 5mph I'll generally sit in it, lower or stop-start and I'll generally overtake! ;)

I'm not going to be around much next week guys (snowboarding in Italy) so you can all have some peace and quiet! Dean, I'll let you know about the Nano shoe covers (fingers crossed for the NFTO sale later!) :)

Hopefully a week off the bike will rest my legs a little (!), at least snowboarding I'll be using different muscles! May take my 810 and record some boarding to have a play around with metrics on my VIRB's footage! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not going to be around much next week guys (snowboarding in Italy) so you can all have some peace and quiet! Dean, I'll let you know about the Nano shoe covers (fingers crossed for the NFTO sale later!) :)

Hopefully a week off the bike will rest my legs a little (!), at least snowboarding I'll be using different muscles! May take my 810 and record some boarding to have a play around with metrics on my VIRB's footage! :D

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it.
And sweet deal on the SB holiday. Have a fantastic time! :cool:

Soldato
Ouch, not fun.

I would ideally have ridden in despite the winds but there's a leaving do at work today so I'll be out a bit late and be drinking a bit of beer. Carbing up for the 100 mile ride tomorrow...

There's not an officially monikered (is that even a word?) V2 but there have been at least two revisions that I'm aware of. One was to fix a problem with leaks and another to sort out something to do with the cylinders not retracting properly in certain conditions iirc. I'd definitely attempt to get them replaced.

TRP and have replied and it sounds like I'll be getting a replacement, I'm not sure I can trust them again though!

Soldato
Well, if you *will* have a car.

Bloody drivers - they don't even pay road tax!

I wish I didn't have to pay road tax with the amount of miles I do!

Was going to go out this afternoon to do a few more miles, but the wind and rain put me off, so finished building up the Ridley with my new bits. Didn't take any pictures as was dark by time I finished, but it does look so good clean. Going to weigh it almost naked tomorrow, as I've no idea what it's at now. Contemplating chucking a vcls seatpost on it too.

Soldato
I almost wish it was per mile.... It does seem a bit silly that high performance cars pay extortionate rates of VED despite the fact that lower emissions cars doing far more mileage will output more co2 emissions overall. I wish I didn't have to pay £490 considering most cars are probably used more than mine and cause more damage over the cause of a year!

Soldato
'road tax'?!?! You guys are as bad as Joe Public! At least call it 'Vehicle Tax'! :rolleyes:

VED - Vehicle Excise duty, you're paying for using a motor vehicle on the road, not for the roads themselves. Basically judged by the emissions of your vehicle regardless of the mileage... I think there should be a 'road tax' that everyone paid into as even non-drivers benefit from the roads. Especially the pensioners.

TRP and have replied and it sounds like I'll be getting a replacement, I'm not sure I can trust them again though!

Awesome news, the result you wanted really... Do whatever it takes to make you happy with the bike - don't feel like you have to use the HY/RD's unless you really want to and are confident in getting them sorted! :)

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it.
And sweet deal on the SB holiday. Have a fantastic time! :cool:

Will do & got you a pair of Nano's, got one for myself too (and a NFTO cap & NFTO thermal jersey, windstopper winter jackets only had S, XXS and XXXL in stock :(). Trust me your address, I can get it sorted/posted tomorrow morning before I leave if you're swift?! :)

I hate you Roady. Saying that, week after I'll be in the mountains so :p Enjoy!

I bet your trip will be considerably cheaper than mine! Can't you just cycle to your chalet in the mountains?! ;)

Soldato
Will do & got you a pair of Nano's, got one for myself too (and a NFTO cap & NFTO thermal jersey, windstopper winter jackets only had S, XXS and XXXL in stock :(). Trust me your address, I can get it sorted/posted tomorrow morning before I leave if you're swift?! :)

Ooooh, love you Roady!! :D Thank you very much, trust message you in a second!

And XXS? Didn't realise Castelli gear came in XXS, I have to buy Castelli in small and sportful do XS and it's not exactly WAY too big but XXS would be ideal haha.

Soldato
Awesome news, the result you wanted really... Do whatever it takes to make you happy with the bike - don't feel like you have to use the HY/RD's unless you really want to and are confident in getting them sorted! :)

There isn't really a lot of other options to be honest other than going to standard mechanical which would be a step back, or full hydro which would be mega expensive :( once you've got discs you're basically stuck with them

Soldato
'road tax'?!?! You guys are as bad as Joe Public! At least call it 'Vehicle Tax'! :rolleyes:

VED - Vehicle Excise duty, you're paying for using a motor vehicle on the road, not for the roads themselves. Basically judged by the emissions of your vehicle regardless of the mileage... I think there should be a 'road tax' that everyone paid into as even non-drivers benefit from the roads. Especially the pensioners.

Interestingly a cyclist puts out more emissions than a BMW i3 (forgetting the fact that generation of the electricity to power the i3 and it's creation won't have been with renewable energy) :D

Caporegime
Interestingly a cyclist puts out more emissions than a BMW i3 (forgetting the fact that generation of the electricity to power the i3 and it's creation won't have been with renewable energy) :D

The creation of a single car creates a huge quantity of co2. If we were really worried about co2 emissions we'd be keeping all the old dirty cars going, because although they put out more co2 when driven it pales in comparison to co2 produced making their replacement eco cars.

Of course, using old cars doesn't get you buying new things so go figure... Also, car building happens in the Far East so we can look good and then sell them our carbon emission credits. Win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom