Road Cycling

I guess, i'm probably in the minority (especially in this thread) where i think there's probably a higher % of bad cyclists than bad motorists as an overall number of each, and can understand some of the annoyance. The difference being that bad motorists end up causing accidents whereas the bad cyclists (generally) only cause annoyance for others.

The above seems absolutely stupid though. Might as well ban the London Marathon because a runner once ran into a pedestrian knocking them over!

I would disagree. I think people have just been conditioned not to notice bad driving. I know you aren't in the UK any more but if you look for bad driving it is absolutely everywhere.

• Driving on the wrong side of the road on bends because its easier not to follow the curve of the road properly
  • Speeding constantly. Our road is a 20 and I reckon 50-75% of people are doing over 20 and accelerating quickly once they have turned in. Its a residential street with loads of cars parked either side so perfect for people to step out from behind cars and a textbook example of why we have 20s.
  • Not indicating. Not indicating on the motorway or just sticking the indicator on and going. This is so frequent on the motorway that I see probably 25% of people who pull out cause the driver approaching to have to react to their lane change.
  • Cutting corners as they come into roads
  • Accelerating to beat light and going through red lights
  • Overtaking cyclists too closely and breaking the speed limit to do so
  • Using their phone while they are driving or generally being distracted to the point of not being in full control of the car.
Its literally constant. Its just so accepted in the same way that crashes that hurt and kill are accepted as "accidents" rather than wilful negligence. You wouldn't get away with it in the workplace so why is it fine when you are just driving about.

Cyclists do break the rules but in general, as you say, its not anything like as dangerous but it also sticks out due to the number of cyclists you tend to see and the way they do it. I would wager that most of it is related to jumping red lights. So drivers see a cyclist run a red light and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Delivery riders are also absolutely terrible for cyclists reputations despite a lot of them being on effectively electric mopeds.

Yeah, i'd agree with that. I think it is easy to be conditioned to bad driving as you say it's just normalised. I think i'm probably more critical of cyclists as it's not required travel but for personal enjoyment (usually), and generally see a lot of similar traits from cyclists to pedestrians as i do from motorists to cyclists where they can be a law unto themselves. The instance at Richmond is a highlight of this where people fly around trying to beat a Strava segment without really caring about those around them, similar to a motorist going too fast/close past a cyclist.

I'm culpable too. I've read some people on here (although not in this thread i don't think), complaining about cycle lanes because some people cycle too slowly and it ruins their own ride when they want to ride faster and so use the roads. It's no different to a motorist being annoying by a cyclist in the road slowing them up. The difference being the car has no alternative, but the cyclist does. Again i'm guilty of this too, even when the cycle land is perfectly good (and i know many are absolutely pointless), i'll generally ride on the road. And i'm well aware it must be annoying when it's a narrow road with no obvious passing points.

I agree with delivery riders also being probably a big factor. Ultimately the problem and animosity is caused by a small minority on both sides. Most motorists are patient and polite, and equally most cyclists are courteous and considerate. The issue being the extremes on each side where they either think of only themselves and not give a crap about anyone else and then on the flip side are the ones who just pay no attention at all and are oblivious to what's going on around them.

is it safe to file carbon? I'm sure it would wreck whatever warranty I have left after changing the groupset but just concerned about the thickness of the Di2 cables in some parts

is it safe to file carbon? I'm sure it would wreck whatever warranty I have left after changing the groupset but just concerned about the thickness of the Di2 cables in some parts

Changing the groupset wouldn't void the frame warranty and di2 cables aren't very thick. In fact (goes to get verniers) 2.9mm thick at the connector and 2.1mm thick at the cable. As to filing carbon, it would be fine, you wouldn't be increasing the hole by much. You may void your warranty but I doubt it. You could just argue that it had worn away naturally from the slight movement of the cable. It wouldn't actually affect the carbon. You have to file carbon when you cut fork steerers, its not an issue. I wouldn't go drilling new holes necessarily but enlarging one very slightly that is there already wouldn't concern me.

Yeah, I'd only imagine it would be filing the tiniest amount off of the frame to et the wires to pass through.

I've told my partner that I've made the grown up and selfless choice that I will forgo the new bike (for now) as it's not the sensible choice and instead I'll just have to settle for a new group set. Sigh. :p

• Haha
Reactions: fez
Yeah, I'd only imagine it would be filing the tiniest amount off of the frame to et the wires to pass through.

I've told my partner that I've made the grown up and selfless choice that I will forgo the new bike (for now) as it's not the sensible choice and instead I'll just have to settle for a new group set. Sigh. :p

Anything to avoid new bike = marriage

Another silly question but I can't seem to see anything online one way or another. What is the likelihood of the seat tube being hollowed out to the bottom bracket and chain stays? having fears of popping the BB out and seeing it completely sealed off and being up ***** creek!

4148gxpl07171.jpg

Did notice another pic online of someone with the same frame. Pretty sure that hole should be enough to get the connectors through.

Another silly question but I can't seem to see anything online one way or another. What is the likelihood of the seat tube being hollowed out to the bottom bracket and chain stays? having fears of popping the BB out and seeing it completely sealed off and being up ***** creek!

Did notice another pic online of someone with the same frame. Pretty sure that hole should be enough to get the connectors through.

I have never seen a carbon frame that has any sort of blockage between the seat tube and the BB. I can't think of any reason you would. I mean, if you want to check, take the seatpost out and shine a torch down it. I would put my house on it being a clean run to the BB. Then again I have no idea why your bike doesn't have the standard di2 hole near where the FD sits. Even my poverty spec Giant TCR had one!

Back
Top Bottom