Road Cycling

Soldato
I've always prefered a daily weigh-in using the same variables (pre-breakfast, post-morning wee). You'll get smaller fluctuations and then get a more accurate average trend line. For instance I've found out that for some reason I always lose weight consistently through Tue-Sat and then it increases on Sun/Mon. I'm also trying to lose weight at the moment and am struggling to get the balance right between eating enough to fuel recovery and maintaining a calorie deficit. Generally I do OK on days when I'm training, it's the recovery days that I want to stuff my face!

As above will probably be water retention and if you're doing bigger miles on a Sat/Sunday you'll then retain a bit more as no doubt you're eating a bit more and when not working you usuaully find your body will naturally try to recover as much as possible when the stress is less. Even if you go over on non training days it's not a problem as long as your week is in deficit. Usually the body will want to carry on ticking over even on the rest days so good to use these to get some proper recovery in, as you can't cut constantly.

Soldato
naaa...that's the truth! :p
I wasn't dissing the placebo effort, it's a real thing!

Ceramic bearings in the wheels make more difference than the BB.
Ceramics (smoother) will have the most effect on those things which spin fastest in the system, that's why part of me is thinking that jockey wheels is probably one of the best?!

I'm sure I've heard it said that ceramic bearings generally come with a steel race and all you end up doing is wearing the race, rather than the balls themsevles like you generally get with standard bearings? I'm sure it was said about getting ceramics with ceramic races too? But I've never seem them advertised as such. I see 'hybrid-ceramic', which I guess is ceramic balls and steel races? So pure ceramic is ceramic races too?

Then again, for cheapness, going for stainless is the easiest option and still a worthwhile upgrade on standard bearings on something regaularly exposed to the elements like a jockey wheel?!

Signing in with water retention. Technically snot is water right? I'm full of that as been in bed all weekend and had to take 2 days off work with it. Can barely breathe and coughing my guts up. Grim.

Soldato
Ceramics (smoother) will have the most effect on those things which spin fastest in the system, that's why part of me is thinking that jockey wheels is probably one of the best?!

I think the load on the bearing will have an effect too? A jockey wheel bearing must have almost no load on it whilst a wheel bearing has about half of the rider+bike weight.

edit: actually, a wheel has 2 bearings so I guess each bearing is loaded to roughly a quarter of rider+bike weight.

Soldato

I have ceramic speed jockey wheels (previous owner put them in) on a long cage. There is certainly less 'resistance' compared to other's ive used but im not sure if those are the wheels or just being a long cage. Also, they are much cleaner that the standard black - less gunk all round. Id very much consider putting them in my Sunday best if I had the funds and knowledge to put them in; maybe when I have some £ to burn.

Soldato
The bearing seals and oil/lube has much more of an impact than the material it is made out of.

The quality matters too...

Sure I’ve said before, buy Japanese steel and you won’t go far wrong. NSK, SKF (Swedish), NTN or Koyo.

I personally wouldn’t buy cheap eBay bearings, or other manufacturers who rebrand unbranded or cheap bearings as their own.

Associate
i always find it abit of a marketing hype when it comes to bearing how reviewers/manufacturer will do a so called free spin test. like typically you will see someone hold either end of a jockey wheel and then flick it to spin at 1000rpm, or a bike held on a bike stand and just spin the wheel and see how long it can spin, or take the chain off and free spin the crank..... none of those tests the product as design intended. the loads and forces are nothing like the real usage. i do think most resistance come from the seals and grease themselves, so im happily sticking with normal steel balls. lol.

Soldato
I wasn't dissing the placebo effort, it's a real thing!

I'm sure I've heard it said that ceramic bearings generally come with a steel race and all you end up doing is wearing the race, rather than the balls themsevles like you generally get with standard bearings? I'm sure it was said about getting ceramics with ceramic races too? But I've never seem them advertised as such. I see 'hybrid-ceramic', which I guess is ceramic balls and steel races? So pure ceramic is ceramic races too?

Then again, for cheapness, going for stainless is the easiest option and still a worthwhile upgrade on standard bearings on something regaularly exposed to the elements like a jockey wheel?!

Signing in with water retention. Technically snot is water right? I'm full of that as been in bed all weekend and had to take 2 days off work with it. Can barely breathe and coughing my guts up. Grim.

Probably something from Hambini

https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/ceramic-bearings-vs-steel-bearings...-an-engineering-opinion/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7iZVfSDbiA

Soldato
I've always prefered a daily weigh-in using the same variables (pre-breakfast, post-morning wee). You'll get smaller fluctuations and then get a more accurate average trend line. For instance I've found out that for some reason I always lose weight consistently through Tue-Sat and then it increases on Sun/Mon. I'm also trying to lose weight at the moment and am struggling to get the balance right between eating enough to fuel recovery and maintaining a calorie deficit. Generally I do OK on days when I'm training, it's the recovery days that I want to stuff my face!

I've avoided weighing daily as I didn't want it to become an obsession. I'd also read an (oldish) blog from one of the GCN presenters : https://katherinebikes.com/four-words-that-wrecked-my-life/ Obviously some of that article is focused on female specific issues, but I thought it a good reminder that cycling is a something to enjoy for me and chasing figures is not the be-all and end-all.

That said, after a good flogging on the turbo last night (Sufferfest's "The Omnium" is still nasty - the Kilo simulation is just horrible), I did weigh myself this morning and I was down again to 80.2kg. A little surprising after the amount of pancakes I put away last night though :D Probably be 86kg next week!

Soldato
I've avoided weighing daily as I didn't want it to become an obsession. I'd also read an (oldish) blog from one of the GCN presenters : https://katherinebikes.com/four-words-that-wrecked-my-life/ Obviously some of that article is focused on female specific issues, but I thought it a good reminder that cycling is a something to enjoy for me and chasing figures is not the be-all and end-all.

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. As a former anorexia sufferer myself, I can easily see how cyclists can slip into disordered eating. I find that weighing myself daily keeps my insanity in check as then I'm not worrying about my numbers all day and I'm lucky to have a supportive partner who can spot when I'm becoming a little too obsessed. It took me a long time to treat food as 'fuel' and make sure I was getting enough of it though!

Soldato
Insurance : seemed pretty reasonable to me, from Aviva as a contents add-on, £100 excess
  • £21.52 Pedal cycles cover (£2,500)
Pedal cycles This cover only applies when shown on your schedule. We will provide cover for loss of or damage to your pedal cycles (including electrically assisted pedal cycles) and their parts and accessories anywhere in the world up to the limit shown on your schedule

Theft unless the cycle is: – in your immediate custody and control; or – securely locked to an object that cannot be moved; or – in a locked building.
excluded - business or professional use of musical instruments, photographic and sporting equipment and accessories;

Needed to call them to check locked in car was ok, they seemed more sure that external bike racks were OK
Had considered pedalsure but could not find their combo contents+bike pkg.

Soldato
Tough ride yesterday
Mega ride mate, utterly brutal! Fair play that was a good tester of your legs! :)

I have ceramic speed jockey wheels (previous owner put them in) on a long cage. There is certainly less 'resistance' compared to other's ive used but im not sure if those are the wheels or just being a long cage. Also, they are much cleaner that the standard black - less gunk all round. Id very much consider putting them in my Sunday best if I had the funds and knowledge to put them in; maybe when I have some £ to burn.
See there's part of me wants some of the other benefits of ceramic - no lube needed and won't rust. But you only get those benefits with a full ceramic system - it being hard enough to just destroy any grit and dirt which gets in. Water just washing any grime out, not causing rust. But nobody really seems that interested in that side of it - just want it for weight and watt savings! :rolleyes: ;)

I personally wouldn’t buy cheap eBay bearings, or other manufacturers who rebrand unbranded or cheap bearings as their own.
I've always used Enduro (supplied by LBS and also in the Giant and Specialized branded stuff I have) and as a cheaper alternative 'Rulla bearings' who've always been helpful and given me great prices (+ discount codes) whenever I've asked them anything. Probably just rebranded chinese cheap tat but had similar life as the Enduro branded ones. But if I'm gonna buy/ride cheap bearings may as well make them even cheaper to buy, right?! :D ;)

Have some SKF's to fit to wheels and took a punt on some of the eirebearings as couldn't find 'good' branded for my bb. Struggling to exactly spec the awkward branding/sizing of my headset currently but they're obviously less crucial... :rolleyes:

I'd heard of it long before that article/hambini! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Check that it covers use in things like sportives is that's something you're in to. I know some insurers don't cover use in 'organised events'.
Thanks, the Aviva contract didn't ultimately reference 'events' ...just demanded non-professional use, so I have plausible deniability for club events.

In the urgency of finding a new contract I forget original intention to find contracts with clear 3rd party liability clause too, in case it's my fault.

edit: now re-reading older insurance thread
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/insurance-for-cycling.18756998/page-4#post-31317089

Last edited:
Soldato
Fell off on friday. Rain, tram tracks, down. Scuffed the saddle, tiny scuff on shifter but mainly took the brunt with my coccyx which was nice. Hurts like ****. Hey ho, it's OK riding just hurts when the wattage bazookas come out. Which is never now so you know.

Saying that, rode home last night and made the most of the wind. ****, I flew down one stretch. Had to stop to get around a car then powered along at mid 40s. Topped out at 48km/h and was still doing 40 when hit the roundabout :D Was a nice leg burn.

Soldato
Illegal e-bikes. Kinda good for chase "training" but a bit unfair :D

Flat bar mountain bike or hybrid ahead of me this morning heading up a varying 6-10% short hill. He had about 80 metres on me when I thought "game on". I wound up the legs and ascended the hill at 190bpm. Then I'm touching 30mph on the false flat still chasing. He's still gaining many metres ahead of me. Then a car overtook and pulled in front of me slowing me to <25mph so I lost him. Kinda fun to chase but either he was an absolute monster on an MTB/legal 15.5mph e-bike or he had an illegal e-bike. He must have been going well over 35mph at points to gain so much of a gap.

Then on the way home I got nudged by an Audi. Numberplate into my rear wheel. Light tap but still frustrating that it could even happen. Driver waved a sorry and I just shook my head and carried on.

Soldato
Fell off on friday. Rain, tram tracks, down. Scuffed the saddle, tiny scuff on shifter but mainly took the brunt with my coccyx which was nice. Hurts like ****. Hey ho, it's OK riding just hurts when the wattage bazookas come out. Which is never now so you know.

Saying that, rode home last night and made the most of the wind. ****, I flew down one stretch. Had to stop to get around a car then powered along at mid 40s. Topped out at 48km/h and was still doing 40 when hit the roundabout :D Was a nice leg burn.
Ouch, hope you heal up ok mate! Take it easy for a bit!

Really struggling with my lungs as still recovering from this lurgy, had some good legs this morning with a sprint from stationary to try and catch traffic for a tow... Sure enough 32mph (in a 30 and they're still pulling away) I had to give in (also easing for a rapidly approaching cycle path junction!). Coughed up a lung afterwards mind. But good to know my legs are still firing well! :D :rolleyes: ;)

Was it like this?:D

EDIT: Removed since it contains swearies. It was Richard Hammond falling off his Pinarello on tram lines in Top Gear.
Always found that clip utterly hillarious :D

A new 'special' rolling resistance test comparing different widths of GP5000 clincher against each other...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-comparison
Really interesting! Shame they also didn't do the exact same tests with the TL versions of each...

Back
Top Bottom