Road Cycling

Soldato
Just leave it on and take it off in the shower. That way it gets a rinse each time :)

This is the way. I am a sweaty ******* so I just give mine a good rinse after each ride. Otherwise it's just saturated by my salty sweat and I'm sure that could corrode anything in comes in contact with. :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
actually, thinking about it, it isn't the strap as I always separate out the electronics module. But I think I might just get a new one for other reasons now too. :cry:

Soldato
Don't tar me with the same brush as those lot. Not my fault their straps are so stiff they no longer bend!

Mine is washed after every use and lives hung up in the shower

Same here, rinsed most times and then actually washed around once a week.

If we're giving me abuse for anything it's that i wet the contact points by licking them. Always unpleasant during the times i forgot to rinse it :(

fez

fez

Caporegime
Getting really ****** off with Giant UK now. They have had my frameset for about 40 days now and I still can't get a straight answer from them or a proper update. Any time I do get some vague update its "yeah, we think we are going to reface the brake mounts". Its an expensive, top of the line frameset and if I didn't still have my old frameset sitting around I would have been without a bike for those 40 days coming into our short, prime part of the year for cycling.

I think the thing that is ******* me off the most apart from their **** communication is that they still seem to want to reface carbon disc mounts that are seriously damaged. I feel like I am going to get a half assed repair that won't work and have to start this all again in a few weeks.

Soldato
Why on earth would you lick the strap itself as opposed to licking your fingers and using them to moisten the contact points?! :eek:

I won't lie, my strap doesn't get much of a wash. I'm sure I broke one that way? Can you really stick the strap in the washing machine?

Soldato
Can’t comment much, but the “wide” lakes in an 11 were still too small for me.

Bonts look like they’re quite wide so might look at those. There’s a Trek shop in Alicante so might be good for trying on.
Thanks. Actually picked up a BNIB set of Bont Vaypor for £35 so happy bunny when they arrive. Certainly for that price I'll give them a go! Can go back to looking at £200+ Lake's when I actually see a pair of them I like the look of...

The person doing the intro to yesterday's GCN Show intro is dicing with death standing with cows. Doesn't he know more people are killed by cows then cyclists? Absolute mad man!
As an ex-farm Boy I've never understood peoples fear of cattle...! Yes they're big, yes they can be dangerous, so is it just fear of the unknown? Or fear of something big? If you just consider them a dumb simple animal that doesn't realise how big they are you can't go far wrong with them (they're not as clever as a dog/cat/3 year old kid). I get they're very easy to get hurt around if you don't respect them or understand what they'll do, but they're not exactly clever enough to be evil incarnate!

You can easily out-think a cow, hell I used to be able to out run them and a large part of that is understanding them and their decision making. You can easily think faster to know their decisions before they get there themselves! Sheep are cleverer and a little faster - while being able to turn faster, but you're not scared of them are you? :D

Bit of a strange question guys. I have a 12 speed groupset that I have had since end of June last year. I wouldn't say I have put a huge amount of mileage on it. Probably 4-5,000 km. I have 2 chains that I wax using immersion waxing periodically and then drip wax in between. I just got a park tool CC4 chain checker and both chains are measuring well over 0.5% wear. I would say closer to 0.75 than 0.5. That seems unbelievably low considering each chain has probably at most done 2-3,000 km.

Funnily enough I have the CC3.2 and that suggests that both chains are under 0.5%. Have I bought I dodgy CC4 from ebay or am I missing something here?
No idea if you've got a faulty checker but it's not uncommon for a new chain to measure 0.25 on my checker and I'll nearly always have worn my chains over the 0.75 before I change them... Getting similar mileage to that - but ridden all conditions, through the winter and with usual wet lubes. I treat a chain as a consumable - so what if I'm changing 2-3 a year when it could be 1-2. When I only have to 'service' them with a chain cleaner every month or two using my normal degreaser and a lube every couple of weeks I can afford to change them sooner when they're ~£20 a pop...

I've noticed the past few weeks my heart rate strap connects before I put it on and unsurprisingly it now reports low battery. Do you think it is not worth putting a new battery in?
Just keep going until it stops! I don't even communicate enough with mine to determine if the battery is low or not! I can fairly regularly (every 8-12 months) but found changing a CR2032 while riding along on a Zwift group ride! :D

If we're giving me abuse for anything it's that i wet the contact points by licking them. Always unpleasant during the times i forgot to rinse it :(
Unpleasant? If having a pre-ride poo and licking the HRM contacts is not a large part of your 'pre-ride' routine, you're not doing it enough. It's like donning armour ready for battle!

I feel like I am going to get a half assed repair that won't work and have to start this all again in a few weeks.
Can you not get the LBS to do all the following up and 'hassle factor'? I thought normally they dealt with Giant as you as the end customer wouldn't be able to? They you can just hassle them to get it resolved! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom