Roccat Kone Mouse - Wheel Broken ...

Associate
i'm assuming that everyone is suffering from the same issues, the guy i am in contact with is a welsh water cooling guru and maker of small things to fix problems, he seems to think this is fixable and would only need my broken bits to produce something better.
i'll keep you guys updated as more info comes through

Roccat%20mouse%20wheel.jpg

the spindle that goes through the mechanism that records the movement of the centre wheel comes away from the wheel itself.

in that picture you can see the contact area that has broken and also the spindle still sitting in the middle of the sensor.

i emailed this very picture to roccat asking for an autocad type file to make the production of a metal part quicker and easier, they declined and told me that the mouse wheel issue has been fixed, but they couldn't help me since i'd voided my warrranty

Hello John,

Thanks for choosing ROCCAT.

Your enthusiasm and good will is very much appreciated.It is unfortunately not possible to give out these kind of tech specs. The mousewheel has been fixed long ago.

The Kones being shipped out nowadays have new parts. If you still have a broken Kone at home we can in general help you directly, making sure that you receive a Kone with latest parts.

Unfortunately, since you opened the Kone yourself you lost your warranty and I cannot help you with this very Kone anymore.You say you owned several Kones, do you maybe have another Kone at home with broken mousewheel which you did not open? Then we could help you there.

We strongly recommend to subscribe to our newsletter in order to be well-informed all the time. You can find the newsletter button on the bottom of www.roccat.org .

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Kind regards / Viele Grüße,
Tibor Fischer
Community Manager
+49 (0)40 30 99 495 111
[email protected]
www.roccat.org

ROCCAT GmbH
Leverkusenstraße 54
22761 Hamburg
Germany

Associate
Do you advise getting the roccat after all this?

I was interested in getting the Kone, but as you can imagin this extreamly negitive post about the scroll wheel breaking constantly has put me well off as I tend to use the wheel quite a lot for your average FPS weapon swaps and RTS/MMO macros.

Has there being any verifyed feed back that a new bach has actually being released? I know Roccat them selves actually took one of your mice and replaced it personally but it broke again, and this was recently too, within the last month or so(?) which I find hard to believe as their email stated "There is a new batch / hardware)

I have used the mouse, and tbh it was perfect, it felt as though it was made to fit the hand, all the extra buttons are also a major plus, I was extreamly disheartened to find it had such a flaw, but at the same time extreamly lucky I decided to research as I found this and could be one of the many stuck in this frustrating chain of RMA.

So my question is, to buy / not to buy? More worried about shops keeping old stock than anything really as I would gladly put up with a basic mouse if I could be sure a more sturdy Kone would be coming in the next 3-5 weeks

Currently building my own rig so waiting isent an issue really.

Thanks in advance for feedback.:)

P.S. I was thinking of using maybe a Death Adder until I can be sure of Roccats hardware fix, any suggestions, heard the DA is reliable etc.

Soldato
Has there being any verifyed feed back that a new bach has actually being released? I know Roccat them selves actually took one of your mice and replaced it personally but it broke again, and this was recently too, within the last month or so(?) which I find hard to believe as their email stated "There is a new batch / hardware)

No feedback what so ever. Roccat state its fixed to everyone, when it isnt.

A few people have had them replaced by roccat (3 of us now?) and yes mine broke again, currently on my second from them. (5th in total now.)

Ive had to bind a button to act as "universal scroll" because i dont trust the middle mouse wheel push anymore. I need a mouse for uni work, after that ill unbind it and give it some punishment over summer and probably go trhough a lot more.

Associate
Thanks for the reply, so I'd imagine your advise would be stay away from this mouse? I dont understand how their site claims to have so many awards from gamer sites and reviewers..... A scroll wheel is a major part of anyone's mouse experiance, web browsing, gaming, and in your case Psypher coursework and I'm sure multiple other uses... This is a major flaw and as such removes 5 functions, (scrolling up, down , tilt left, right and middle mouse press)

In my view all the people who have had this problem should contact a large reviewer that has not done the review yet (a lot of large US reviewers as this product is europian and thus retail is just starting off there) I believe CNET, a well knowen reviewer in the US has not reviewed it yet, maybe if Roccat was contacted by them stating the issues they may be more inclined to fix it ***properly*** as it will stall a large market for them....I dont know just some idea, not that I want to tarnish Roccats reputation, I love the Kone it in my view is perfect in every way bar this clearly easy to fix solution.

Soldato
I am on my 3rd mouse, this one sent by Roccat, maybe just placebo effect but I do think it is stronger (it hasn't broken yet at least :)).

It is a great mouse, great shape, can change the weight and has the buttons in the same position as my old MX518, so didn't take any getting used too.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, so I'd imagine your advise would be stay away from this mouse? I dont understand how their site claims to have so many awards from gamer sites and reviewers..... A scroll wheel is a major part of anyone's mouse experiance, web browsing, gaming, and in your case Psypher coursework and I'm sure multiple other uses... This is a major flaw and as such removes 5 functions, (scrolling up, down , tilt left, right and middle mouse press)

In my view all the people who have had this problem should contact a large reviewer that has not done the review yet (a lot of large US reviewers as this product is europian and thus retail is just starting off there) I believe CNET, a well knowen reviewer in the US has not reviewed it yet, maybe if Roccat was contacted by them stating the issues they may be more inclined to fix it ***properly*** as it will stall a large market for them....I dont know just some idea, not that I want to tarnish Roccats reputation, I love the Kone it in my view is perfect in every way bar this clearly easy to fix solution.

even though im on my 5th, and I hate the very word roccat each time it breaks... now im using it again I would tell everyone to go and buy one. Honestly its such a nice mouse, its just if you want the problem preying in the back of your mind.

The guy I sorted my latest one with (and who sent me the mouse mat and stuff) assured me that they have only had a 1% returns, which tbh I could probably go with (if you google it only problems are voiced here)

I may just write up a letter and send it to a bunch of high profile reviewers.. Ive asked ocuk too, but havent got a response from ace modder, or in the support forum for a good while now (I gave up using the support forum here as no one would talk to me.)

also when the wheel breaks it only knocks out the scrolling, can still click and tilt click. But jeez you know its gone when its gone! Its like having.

@Fanatic, my wheel on the past 2 have defo been different. This one more so. Remember the first ones had so much give (ie you had to push it down, then push again to middle click?) This one doesn't at all, you cant push it down without clicking which is a good sign but, im still weary.

But yeah, how can it win so much, i guess people review it for a day and thats it. Long term use is the killer. Also it was in ****ing beta stage for over a year being tested. -.-

Last edited:
Associate
Believe me, this is not the only forum voicing the concerns this is just an example but its basicly the same thing (Take note of posts#3, 6 (hehe its us) 14, 17 , 19 etc
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?p=13041930

And all these are imports to the states to I might add. To be honest you can find a lot of complaints across all sorts of forums but it takes ages as its in forum names with just "Roccat Kone" or "Roccat mouse" etc. Aparently google search only filters in the title of the post rather than sub headings or comments in it. (unless your willing to span 100's of pages of info) Found fire fox's ctrl+f feature v handy in finding what seems like a lot more than 1% fail rate on the Kone wheel across many forums.

Either way, I'm seduced by this mouse's apperance, feel, functions and over all potential so I may very well just take a gamble and go for it.

The reason I'm so hesitant to get it is cause here in Ireland, our postal service is sub-par at best and with tax, duty, you name it, I'm looking at €15-20 per RMA at least -_-

Edit** I also cant comprehend how in sweet devine holy bejaysuz's name a mouse with over a year in testing got out with this flaw, its the equlivent of, humm, to show my distress lets say a "faulty" batch of Dispren that cause instant death :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Believe me, this is not the only forum voicing the concerns this is just an example but its basicly the same thing (Take note of posts#3, 6 (hehe its us) 14, 17 , 19 etc
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?p=13041930

And all these are imports to the states to I might add. To be honest you can find a lot of complaints across all sorts of forums but it takes ages as its in forum names with just "Roccat Kone" or "Roccat mouse" etc. Aparently google search only filters in the title of the post rather than sub headings or comments in it. (unless your willing to span 100's of pages of info) Found fire fox's ctrl+f feature v handy in finding what seems like a lot more than 1% fail rate on the Kone wheel across many forums.

Either way, I'm seduced by this mouse's apperance, feel, functions and over all potential so I may very well just take a gamble and go for it.

The reason I'm so hesitant to get it is cause here in Ireland, our postal service is sub-par at best and with tax, duty, you name it, I'm looking at €15-20 per RMA at least -_-

roccat said they would cover my rma costs, but it was only 3quid so i sent it on anyway. They also sent my last mouse before I had even got an address to send mine back too :) Just to give you some hope down the link :p

shame everyone on that link likes the g5 it seems ;) pish!

also if anyone really has a problem contact me. Obviously go through ocuk if you wish (ocuk wont deal with you if you go through roccat) I can sort it through the uk distributor (who supply a hell of a lot of other prducts to the uk too, razer blahblah) directly :)

Last edited:
Associate
I may very well get back to you on that. The roccat it's self is an absoulte rip off here in Ireland anyway....
For example just the mouse no shipping nets you this:

so thats €65 + 15 minimum del (could reach €25) = €80 = £71....

Then there's this:

Roccat mouse with its very good mat combo deal for £57
Seeing as I'm in ireland add £10 shipping (yes its so bad here its cheaper to ship from outside your own country than have a post man collect it from a warehouse down the road) £67 = €75
Cheaper than Ireland even with a mat thats selling for over €22, I'm telling ya peeps ye have it lucky over there, when I go to a pc shop here i7's dont exist, when you say GTX 295 they assume you ment BMX and try point you to a bike shop.... Serious Roccat rage spanning onto my contry here lol :p

Last edited:
Associate
I cannot see anywhere where it states that they do or do not ship to Ire, They have a international phone number available so I assume they do... However I may find better deals on ebay if I look about although if it breaks I'l be goosed.

Associate
Scroll wheel broke on my second one on Sunday, sent it off yesterday (Monday) to ocuk for replacement. If it happens again im gonna go to Roccat.

Associate
Second one broken...Any advice on what to do anybody? I love the mouse but this is sickening. Cant OCUK just exchange it for a damn sight more reliable razer??

Associate
This is ridiculous, I paid £50 for a premium mouse which breaks after several weeks/months usage. Surely this is not fit for purpose. Why can it not be exchanged, if not they should at least extend the warranty for another year from the date that the mouse breaks again...

My old Wireless Tiny mouse that came free with my PC back when Tiny made their Terminator series is still going and that is being used by my younger brothers now and they most certainly do not look after their things as well as me.

Surely I have some rights here? If it was <£30 I would let this slide but £50 is my 'I worked a whole day for that cash!' breaking point!

Back
Top Bottom