ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Caporegime
Got to laugh... pretty damn hard. OCUK shilling hard for everyone to buy the flawless and clearly best Asus ROG board, because you won't get the same overclocks with cheaper boards, you get what you pay for, nothing else will match it for memory overclocks, etc, etc.

I called bull on that way early on. New motherboards, things go wrong with a new platform, that is how life goes. Remember Sandy bridge and how EVERY SINGLE MOTHERBOARD shipped had to be replaced what 3 months later because the chipset was duff?

New platforms have issues, I also said when it plays out with a few bios updates, B350 will probably overclock pretty damn well, most boards will overclock within a percent or so(when not considering LN2 overclocks) but there will almost certainly be 1-2 boards that turn out to be completely awful and need a couple of revisions. This can apply to any board, a mistake is a mistake, in fact you could say the boards going most out of spec and trying the most different design has a higher chance of making a genuine screw up.

Pushing £250 ROGs as the only genuine option for overclockers was a completely insane stance for OCUK to take and it also seems to have bitten the customers who they persuaded to go for that specific board pretty hard.

We're seeing plenty of decent overclocking B350 boards, we're seeing seemingly better x370 boards than the ROG with far fewer problems and no surprise, a few bios updates and most other boards are moving towards or already have the same memory support the ROG offers. Who could have seen that coming, a retailer with years of experience of new platforms... surely not.

There have been quite a few reports that users are having the Crosshair simply kill itself, several users and apparently a couple of reviewers who find turning the system on their screen saying bios updating instead of a normal boot, then the system fails to boot again. It's likely the mistake is relatively small and maybe more to do with basically updating the bios to be blank and therefore a useless board maybe which could also be why a new version is so quick. The important thing is that you don't need to be spending £250 to get the performance, overclocks or memory support that OCUK claimed you would have to. I refused to be sucked into the ridiculous "you must by a super expensive board to overclock" bullcrap and I would suggest that other people simply look around at reviews and newer updated specs with improved bioses and get better value for their money. If you have your heart set on the ROG I'd wait a little and check that teething problems are fixed either with a new bios (which prevents the wiping itself bug) or a hardware change to the boards.

EDIT:- I see a V2.2 being shown on a UK retailer now, obviously not in stock.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can anyone confirm what version was shipped out at launch? I tried to check a few reviews, I'm seeing v1.03, but these could be an earlier model Asus shipped to reviewers and different from the shipping model... although they really shouldn't be. Because you can launch as a v3.0 if that is how many revisions you did in testing. If you launch as v2.1 and they list a new v2.2, that suggests a fairly minor change, maybe just a different shipping bios to make sure there is better support and no need to flash before it works for most users. If it was v1.03 and they are updated with a v2.2, that implies a much more significant change and a likely new PCB design.

Permabanned
Can anyone confirm what version was shipped out at launch? I tried to check a few reviews, I'm seeing v1.03, but these could be an earlier model Asus shipped to reviewers and different from the shipping model... although they really shouldn't be. Because you can launch as a v3.0 if that is how many revisions you did in testing. If you launch as v2.1 and they list a new v2.2, that suggests a fairly minor change, maybe just a different shipping bios to make sure there is better support and no need to flash before it works for most users. If it was v1.03 and they are updated with a v2.2, that implies a much more significant change and a likely new PCB design.
If they have made a manufacture change they will need to do a recall.....

Caporegime
If they have made a manufacture change they will need to do a recall.....

Depends what the change is. I mean there are plenty of times you get a V1 and it's relatively fine and then get a v2, it's just better. A v2 SOOO close to launch suggests a problem as does quite a few boards dying. It could be a fairly rare occurrence, just higher than normal for any given board, that they've ironed out with a new version and those whose boards die get the new version, others just get to keep their V1.

How many V1's are dying and how big the changes are will be interesting.

Still I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that there is always the chance for any board to screw something up, I was just royally irked by the OCUK line of, you must get this board if you don't want problems and you want to overclock, B350 will suck for overclocking, you need good VRMs, etc. It was all sales speak and misleading as hell. The difference between a B350 and a £250 board is you might not want to put the B350 under LN2 because it might run out of power. The Asus supplies 320amps to the CPU side, another 160amps to the SOC side(and likely GPU side on an APU), meaning at 1.5v it can produce 480W. Even a completely insane overclock on water isn't going to go past 250W, the average 4Ghz overclock on all cores is probably not breaking 150W under full load. If, and I really mean if, you get on LN2 and start pushing over 1.8v, sure you might need that. But it's 100% complete and utter overkill for air/water usage.

It's just funny that all their spiel for trying to sell the most expensive board ends up being seemingly the least reliable board, so much so Asus appear to be rushing out a replacement.

Permabanned
Depends what the change is. I mean there are plenty of times you get a V1 and it's relatively fine and then get a v2, it's just better. A v2 SOOO close to launch suggests a problem as does quite a few boards dying. It could be a fairly rare occurrence, just higher than normal for any given board, that they've ironed out with a new version and those whose boards die get the new version, others just get to keep their V1.

How many V1's are dying and how big the changes are will be interesting.

Still I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that there is always the chance for any board to screw something up, I was just royally irked by the OCUK line of, you must get this board if you don't want problems and you want to overclock, B350 will suck for overclocking, you need good VRMs, etc. It was all sales speak and misleading as hell. The difference between a B350 and a £250 board is you might not want to put the B350 under LN2 because it might run out of power. The Asus supplies 320amps to the CPU side, another 160amps to the SOC side(and likely GPU side on an APU), meaning at 1.5v it can produce 480W. Even a completely insane overclock on water isn't going to go past 250W, the average 4Ghz overclock on all cores is probably not breaking 150W under full load. If, and I really mean if, you get on LN2 and start pushing over 1.8v, sure you might need that. But it's 100% complete and utter overkill for air/water usage.

It's just funny that all their spiel for trying to sell the most expensive board ends up being seemingly the least reliable board, so much so Asus appear to be rushing out a replacement.

Well

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_processor_review,23.html

202w draw just there...... So on safe side 250w for cpu is what i would want.

Associate
My Crosshair Hero has arrived (waiting on a gpu atm) but I keep seeing stories about how people have bricked their mobo with a bios update they didn't initiate, something about ASUS AI suite doing it?

Really not sure what to make of this, my board is runningg just under 3ghz on the RAM and I've reinstalled windows and whatnot.

Caporegime
Caporegime
The one I've just received is 1.03.

Thanks for confirming, so yeah it seems the review and batches that went out for sale at launch were 1.03, if there is a V2.2 coming and it seems the v1.03 seem to have stock nowhere with no clear indication of stock dates, it somewhat suggests they've been pulled. For them to already be listing the v2.2 seems very odd though, it surely indicates they knew of a problem before the 2nd of March, in which case they sold boards they didn't think met they quality they intended.

Back
Top Bottom