• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
10gb? The 4070 has 12gb last I checked and @mrk said it worked fine with 12gb after the patch. Don’t think he reduced settings?
12GB is fine for now but until a few months ago everybody thought 8GB was.

If you are looking for a GPU, to keep for the long term, meaning 5 years +, then 16GB really should be the minimum VRAM to aim for.
If you upgrade your GPU every generation then 12GB is more than fine.

10gb? The 4070 has 12gb last I checked and @mrk said it worked fine with 12gb after the patch. Don’t think he reduced settings?
Yes 10Gb, you said TLOU was fixed but after the last patch I cant increase settings, I'm still vram limited, with 12Gb I'd be increasing settings.

How fine a 4070 12Gb is going forwards, it's fine@1080p for now and better than 10Gb@4K.

Yes 10Gb, you said TLOU was fixed but after the last patch I cant increase settings, I'm still vram limited, with 12Gb I'd be increasing settings.

How fine a 4070 12Gb is going forwards, it's fine@1080p for now and better than 10Gb@4K.

But thread is about the 4070 which has 12gb. You can always sell your 3080 and add like £100 or less and get a brand new 4070 ;)

Maybe your should take your mates advice:

Perhaps forking off and arguing in an thread of its own would be better!

Though come to think about it I would not recommend it as it would only get locked again.

:p:cry::D

He keeps saying best value card above $500. Not sure what you are hearing. He is also correct. Sounds like you have a subconscious reason to twist his words.
I think the 7900XT is better value even though I still think its over priced, your getting 34% more perf at 1440p and 39% more at 4k + 8gb more VRAM so will definitely age better.

12GB is fine for now but until a few months ago everybody thought 8GB was.

If you are looking for a GPU, to keep for the long term, meaning 5 years +, then 16GB really should be the minimum VRAM to aim for.
If you upgrade your GPU every generation then 12GB is more than fine.

Not everyone.Did you miss the 10gb thread from 2020? :D

As for the rest, I completely agree. Pretty much what I said in the post above the one you quoted :)

But thread is about the 4070 which has 12gb. You can always sell your 3080 and add like £100 or less and get a brand new 4070 ;)
The comment was in relation to a fellow 3080 owner pointing out higher requirements in new titles-TLOU being one of them and you saying it's been 'fixed', that fix never fixed anything on the 3080.

The 70's used to be faster than the 80TI's, replacing a 3080 with a slower 4070@4K, with 2Gb extra is not a good deal, I'd spend another £160 on top of that £100 for a 7900XT first.

Reality is replacing the 3070 is where the 4070 is at, a good deal it still is not.:p

Game uses less than 12GB VRAM at 3440x1440 max settings DLSS Quality, even with Native it was under 12GB after the patches max settings. the game is still CPU unoptimised though so regardless of your GPU, the framerate will be similar between say a 12GB 3080/Ti and a 24GB 4090 - I know this because I have both.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Game uses less than 12GB VRAM at 3440x1440 max settings DLSS Quality, even with Native it was under 12GB after the patches max settings. the game is still CPU unoptimised though so regardless of your GPU, the framerate will be similar between say a 12GB 3080/Ti and a 24GB 4090 - I know this because I have both.

I am sorted then. Just need for the price to drop now and hopefully a few more optimisations in the mean time.

What I might do if I fancy it is go EA Play Pro like you and play Dead Space and then play the Star Wars game after as it should get a patch or two in the next 2 weeks.

I finished it @4k native 65" QD OLED on a mix of low to ultra settings to keep it within 10Gb as upscaling had halo effects(don't know if you notice it on smaller panels), what an experience, can only imagine how much better it would have unfolded if I hadn't watched it first-story telling at it's finest.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even call it a replacement for a 3070 - in many games the increase isn't that great. It is a 3060 replacement.
You're not wrong, the performance increase is poor, but that's your only choice unless you want to spend £200 more for the same 12Gb.

Then it costs more than double the price for 16Gb FE's on team green.:cry:

Last edited:
He keeps saying best value card above $500. Not sure what you are hearing. He is also correct. Sounds like you have a subconscious reason to twist his words.

No, what he said was "the 4070 is the best value $500 + card" its not a $500 + card, its a $600 + card. IE the starting price is $600, not $500. If it was $500 + i might have already bought one, for $500.

The 3070 was $500 +, if it was $500 + it would be ok value given its actually.....

I wouldn't even call it a replacement for a 3070 - in many games the increase isn't that great. It is a 3060 replacement.

Last edited:
These cards should be sold at £500, considering how many Nvidia can produce. I'm not pleased that the cheaper models are gimped by being limited to 225w, due to using a single 8 pin PCIe connector.

I think they worked out that by not increasing the shader count from the last gen, they would be able to produce a lot more, and perhaps for a while, still charge over £600 for some models, by selling them as being about as powerful as an RTX 3080.

This breaks with Nvidia's tradition of increasing the shader count every generation, what you get is basically a super overclocked RTX 3070, with 4GB additional VRAM (GDDR6X) and frame generation hardware support.

It's a poor upgrade from the RTX 3070, because it's purely an incremental one, and the max power output on the FE models is about the same.

It makes the RTX 3070 FE look good.

Last edited:
What you're essentially describing is planned obsolescences.
Did ever in the history of GPUs a 3 year old mid range card manage to play games at ultra settings in the heaviest of titles? Like, EVER? Pascal was considered a very good GPU generation, the 1080ti was struggling to get 60fps at 1080p in 2018 and 2017 games - when it was actually brand new. I know, cause I had it. I played RDR2 (a 2018 game) at glorious 17-19 fps @ 4k. 1080p could just about average mid 50ies. And that wasn't the heaviest of games, watchdogs 2 and ghost recon were much heavier.

The 3070 was $500 +, if it was $500 + it would be ok value given its actually.....
These cards should be sold at £500
Even £500 is far to much for a performance level that last gen would have sat between a 3060 and 3060ti so around £350. No 70 card has ever lost to the previous gen 80.

If it was called a 4060 would you be saying £500 is ok?

Even £500 is far to much for a performance level that last gen would have sat between a 3060 and 3060ti so around £350. No 70 card has ever lost to the previous gen 80.

If it was called a 4060 would you be saying £500 is ok?
Τhat comparison is flawed. What you are basically saying is that if 3080 was a terrible card that would make the 4070 better. Let's say hypothetically the 3080 only matched the 2080 in performance. That would make the 4070 much faster than the 3080. Does that suddenly change the value proposition of the 4070? NOPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom