• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4090 CPU Bottleneck & Stuttering

What psu are you using on the bedroom PC?

Reason I ask is because up until recently I was running a 4090 with a 9700k on a 4k Oled and it was buttery smooth playing everything except Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which had problems with stutter. I knew when buying the 4090 that my psu may not be powerful enough but I decided to give it a try first before splashing out on a new one. But when the stutters appeared I didn't think twice about upgrading the psu, which completely sorted the stutter issues out.

I've since upgraded to a 13700k and to be honest at 4k there's next to no difference to the 9700k in any of the games I play.

So yeah, there should be no reason a 10700k should bottle neck a 4090 running at 4k, to the point where it's causing any issues with stuttering, not if a 9700k doesn't anyway.

What psu are you using on the bedroom PC?

Reason I ask is because up until recently I was running a 4090 with a 9700k on a 4k Oled and it was buttery smooth playing everything except Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which had problems with stutter. I knew when buying the 4090 that my psu may not be powerful enough but I decided to give it a try first before splashing out on a new one. But when the stutters appeared I didn't think twice about upgrading the psu, which completely sorted the stutter issues out.

I've since upgraded to a 13700k and to be honest at 4k there's next to no difference to the 9700k in any of the games I play.

So yeah, there should be no reason a 10700k should bottle neck a 4090 running at 4k, to the point where it's causing any issues with stuttering, not if a 9700k doesn't anyway.
Hmm that’s odd.

Both PC’s have Corsair 1000w PSU’s. In fact the main PC is a much older model Corsair HXi1000 where as the bedroom PC is a new HX1000. So I don’t think the issue is with the PSU.

In that case it's probably not. The craic with mine was the card was clocking down due to not getting enough power, which is when the stuttering occured. But like I said, once I changed the psu, the card ran like a dream with a 9700k behind it, very little difference to how it runs in a 13700k based system, at 4k. So I'd be surprised if your 10700k is causing enough bottleneck (at 4k) to cause any stuttering.

Setting the FPS limit to 118 FPS has definitely helped. The stuttering now only happens if the frames drop by 20 or 30 FPS intermittently.

I’ll probably go for a new motherboard and CPU in the new year.

i am having exactly the same issues at 4k with rtx 4090 and 13900k. i replaced the mobo and it did not help either. get these really random fps lows which cause stutter for me on my lg oled c2. mine is the gigabyte gaming OC. is yours?

i am having exactly the same issues at 4k with rtx 4090 and 13900k. i replaced the mobo and it did not help either. get these really random fps lows which cause stutter for me on my lg oled c2. mine is the gigabyte gaming OC. is yours?
No my GPU is an MSI Ventus. Also I managed to eliminate most of the stutter by capping the FPS to 118 frames. Now I just have a lower FPS than my 12700k system.

What CPU were you using before you got the 13900k?

You really shouldn’t be getting any stutter with a 13900k. Are you using DDR4 or DDR5 RAM and what speed, how much CL? Also what motherboard are you using? What size is your AIO? Are you running the AIO on default fan speeds or custom fan curve?

Last edited:
In Nvidia control panel make sure that preferred refresh rate is set to highest available, I had similar issues with an lg c1 when it was set to application controlled.
I'm getting no stutter at all with a watercooled 10700k @ 4900 and 3200 CL18 ram and a watercooled 4090 at stock settings but I am sometimes CPU limited.
Might upgrade when the new X3D chips drop.

No my GPU is an MSI Ventus. Also I managed to eliminate most of the stutter by capping the FPS to 118 frames. Now I just have a lower FPS than my 12700k system.

What CPU were you using before you got the 13900k?

You really shouldn’t be getting any stutter with a 13900k. Are you using DDR4 or DDR5 RAM and what speed, how much CL? Also what motherboard are you using? What size is your AIO? Are you running the AIO on default fan speeds or custom fan curve?
hello sorry for the late reply - i have it capped at 118 or 117fps - i just got rid of my gigabyte 4090 and got a PNY 4090 and stuttering still occurs. i am using kingston fury beast ddr5 5200 CL 40 or i prefer using 4800 but CL38 which is what it is set at now! before this i tried the 12700k and 13700k and now i am on 13900k. even with this new gpu i picked up today i still have stutter/huge fps lows in some games from 117 down to 23 or 55 and it stutters. i honestly have no idea what the issue is as i have rebuilt the entire system now. everything is new... fresh windows install as well

please also note i have tried different ram as well but it was the same speeds

Last edited:
I had stuttering for what seemed to be no reason. Apart from the raw performance increase of the 4090, my old 3090 played a smoother game. Lots a head scratching and even looking at the 12700 cpu as the culprit I actually found from some googling it was the version of Windows that was causing it. I'd even done a fresh Windows install, brought it straight up to date and stuttering was still there.

Turns out I needed to find and install 21H2, and NOT the latest 22H2.
So started again with a fresh but older version 21H2 Windows install, found the correct iso from the web. Made sure Windows wasnt going to update to 22H2 in the background. And I'm back to super smooth super fast gaming.. What a farce.

I struggle to believe that a 10700k would cause this at 4K, at least to this degree anyway. There will always be a difference between them. Are you sure there aren't any other programs running in the background on the other PC that could be using CPU resources? What does HW Monitor say in terms of CPU and GPU usage when playing games on the two machines?

I struggle to believe that a 10700k would cause this at 4K, at least to this degree anyway. There will always be a difference between them. Are you sure there aren't any other programs running in the background on the other PC that could be using CPU resources? What does HW Monitor say in terms of CPU and GPU usage when playing games on the two machines?
I am actually using a 13900k now as well. Same Issue as the OP :(

Back
Top Bottom