• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Caporegime
I've just joined the club too after installing one from the MM. I think this system will see me through for a few years now :)
You got yourself a beauty. :D

For those not in the know I sold my 3900X to Hades and upgraded to a 3950X.

My main game is Football Manager 2020 and this game loves using cores for processing matches. I’ve seen a significant upgrade since switching and my temperatures are roughly 10c lower now in this game when all cores are under load. I think this is largely due to the processing time being quicker now (noticeably) when processing background matches as all cores are working at 100% and they finish the workload quicker than the 3900X did. Also the voltage required is a bit lower using stock settings.

The only small downside is the 3900X liked 1900 FCLK but the 3950X does not, but generally FCLK makes little different at my resolution if 5120x1440 so not too bothered.

Soldato
Spent last night stripping down and rebuilding. Had a heart in mouth moment when powering up and getting no video output, but had the wrong display port on my gpu :p Now got a small issue with the Asus Tuf not seeing any boot devices. Googling seems to indicate something to do with CMS mode whatever that is. So troubleshooting for me today.

CPU seems to idle at a slightly toasty 45c, so maybe have to reseat my H100i V2.

Looking forward to a proper fiddle with it today though :)

Caporegime
Spent last night stripping down and rebuilding. Had a heart in mouth moment when powering up and getting no video output, but had the wrong display port on my gpu :p Now got a small issue with the Asus Tuf not seeing any boot devices. Googling seems to indicate something to do with CMS mode whatever that is. So troubleshooting for me today.

CPU seems to idle at a slightly toasty 45c, so maybe have to reseat my H100i V2.

Looking forward to a proper fiddle with it today though :)
Whenever i rebuild my system i always forget to do something like plug a cable in somewhere, happens every time. For me it's usually one of my sata hdds or something that involves taking the back panel off once everything's been plugged in and setup. :D

Soldato
Whenever i rebuild my system i always forget to do something like plug a cable in somewhere, happens every time. For me it's usually one of my sata hdds or something that involves taking the back panel off once everything's been plugged in and setup. :D

I think we all know that feeling :p I'm a bit paranoid now and double check everything I plug in, always use both the CPU power connectors, two cables for the GPU. Still surprised when it all starts up! Definitely beats the days of jumpers, master/slave settings and IRQ conflicts!

Soldato
Had a nightmare getting my motherboard to work properly. Video signal would only be there once every 10 boots. Flashed the bios and it seems ok now thankfully.

Finally had a chance to test it out a little. All cores clocking to 4.2ghz on prime95, max temperature about 70c.

All seems good now.

Associate
Does anyone know when the price drop will come into effect? or if it already has? i'm looking at upgrading to a Ryzen 3900x (from a quad core 6700k), i won't be overclocking it (though i might have to overclock the memory if i reuse that, it's 2666MHz, 32GB kit, 5 years old), and i'll mainly be using it for zbrush work, and maybe UE5, once it is released, and i was just wondering when the price drop comes into effect, as i've been watching the prices on OC and elsewhere, and it doesn't really seem to have dropped lower than £431 for the OEM chip.

Soldato
The retail version with the cooler is available from a UK site for less than that, around the 415 mark.
I really cannot say anymore here for obvious reasons.

It used to be around 530 so I'd say the more general discounts are already in place, beyond any flash sales.

Associate
The retail version with the cooler is available from a UK site for less than that, around the 415 mark.
I really cannot say anymore here for obvious reasons.

It used to be around 530 so I'd say the more general discounts are already in place, beyond any flash sales.
Indeed, I got mine from "elsewhere" last week for £414 - literally went straight back up to £439.94 right after I did tho.

Then I found out about the refresh rumours...d'oh!

Associate
well, i'm looking *elsewhere* and the retail version is down to £409, they're also doing some cpu/mb/ram bundles, OC don't seem to be doing any mATX bundles atmo, guess i'll keep looking.

yeah, i heard about those refresh releases coming, but i doubt there will be that much difference.

Caporegime
Given up with trying to fix my Taichis boost clocks so now doing a manual overclock. Currently running 4.5/4.4/4.4/4.35 across each CCX with a 800 point boost in R20 MC scores.

I've set BIOS to 1.35V, LLC to 2 and see Vcore of 1.26ish under Cinebench load. Is that too much for 24/7. I see people suggesting 1.35V max but not sure if that is under load or not.

Back
Top Bottom