• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm looking to move to a 7800X3D / 7900XTX from an i7-8086K / 2070S. Any recommendations on an AM5 motherboard + RAM? This machine will be used purely for gaming and a tiny bit of streaming.
I’d personally go with any Asus
Rog board that fits within your
Budget.

RAM I'd go with any Hynix M die kit you can get at a good price, 2x16GB.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for the $130 B650 motherboards which were mentioned at launch,but now AMD seems to think the A620 can hit the even lower $125 price point:

So AMD and its motherboard partners already prescalped the motherboard prices. The B650 at $130 was way too cheap....you can have an A620 for the same price! :cry: Just like they prescalped the RX78...sorry RX7900XT at $900!
This is what a $125 AM5 motherboard looks like:

Only two USB3.0 ports.

AM4 version is £53 and has four USB3.0 ports.

Last edited:
Thanks. I watched this video and it provided a great insight into boards at all price points.

Now the difficult part - finding a reasonably priced board in black. All the contenders seem to have orange, pink or silver bits. Black, is it so much to ask for?!

Is PCIE 5 really needed? Even a 4090 doesn't have, or need PCIE 5 according to Nvidia. Last time I saw, PCIE 5 SSD's were no faster than PCIE 4 ones.

PCI-E 5.0 will be required more for mainstream dGPUs,than ironically for 90 series users. 90 series dGPUs have a lot of VRAM and a ton of memory bandwidth(cache+VRAM) so its less likely they might need to use system RAM. But for mainstream dGPUs there is a problem,because they stagnated in VRAM amounts,and the cache is cut back a lot,so effective memory bandwidth is less.

For example the RX6600/RX6600XT could lose upto 25% of its performance on PCI-E 3.0 systems,because it was locked to PCI-E 8X,had small onboard caches,lowish memory bandwidth and 8GB of VRAM:

This is a worse case scenario,but unless reviewers keep testing it,this could manifest itself in other games. Games using RT also appear to like using more VRAM too. Not a problem for a 90 series dGPU.

The RTX3050 also has PCI-E 8X,but since the latter is a damb squib,the RX6600/RX6600XT makes more sense for older systems still. The problem is as the mainstream cores get faster,it will start to become more of a problem IMHO especially as RT use increases. The big issue is now Nvidia has taken the successor to the RTX3050 and is selling it as an RTX4060 and it only has 8GB of VRAM. So it could be you will see a £500 RTX5060/RX8600XT,locked to PCI-E 8X,only have 8GB,maybe 12GB of VRAM and quite a fast core.

So we could see the PCI-E 4.0 systems not do so well with an RTX5060/RX8600XT if they are PCI-E 5.0 8X. But the issue is most reviewers will test it on higher end systems with PCI-E 5.0 anyway.

Last edited:
PCI-E 5.0 will be required more for mainstream dGPUs,than ironically for 90 series users. 90 series dGPUs have a lot of VRAM and a ton of memory bandwidth(cache+VRAM) so its less likely they might need to use system RAM. But for mainstream dGPUs there is a problem,because they stagnated in VRAM amounts,and the cache is cut back a lot,so effective memory bandwidth is less.

For example the RX6600/RX6600XT could lose upto 25% of its performance on PCI-E 3.0 systems,because it was locked to PCI-E 8X,had small onboard caches,lowish memory bandwidth and 8GB of VRAM:

This is a worse case scenario,but unless reviewers keep testing it,this could manifest itself in other games. Games using RT also appear to like using more VRAM too. Not a problem for a 90 series dGPU.

The RTX3050 also has PCI-E 8X,but since the latter is a damb squib,the RX6600/RX6600XT makes more sense for older systems still. The problem is as the mainstream cores get faster,it will start to become more of a problem IMHO especially as RT use increases. The big issue is now Nvidia has taken the successor to the RTX3050 and is selling it as an RTX4060 and it only has 8GB of VRAM. So it could be you will see a £500 RTX5060/RX8600XT,locked to PCI-E 8X,only have 8GB,maybe 12GB of VRAM and quite a fast core.

So we could see the PCI-E 4.0 systems,not do so well with an RTX5060/RX8600XT,if they are PCI-E 5.0 8X. But the issue is most reviewers will test it on higher end systems with PCI-E 5.0 anyway.

Why is that example so much more drastic than this bench of the same game: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/13.html

Just ordered a 7900X3D as a compromise from the 7950X3D - which I really want but couldn’t stretch to. 12 cores will do me for my needs. I may regret it further down the line but a new toy as stop gap for 8000X3D.

So waiting for kit to arrive and getting a little excited.

So kinda pointless going for the more expensive PCIE gen 5 boards I’m guessing then.

The most powerful GPU on the market today doesn't support PCIE5 and barely notices the difference between PCIE3 and PCIE4

Definitely worth thinking about the value of paying for PCIE5 if you can't see yourself benefiting from it.

Just ordered a 7900X3D as a compromise from the 7950X3D - which I really want but couldn’t stretch to. 12 cores will do me for my needs. I may regret it further down the line but a new toy as stop gap for 8000X3D.

So waiting for kit to arrive and getting a little excited.

Na man, you sound like me. if we REALLY used 16 cores all the time - we would be on threadripper. 12 cores you'll be fine until your next itch!

My cpu is stock, but it is tuned with curve optimiser. I’m also running tuned memory and fclk. I got slightly better performance with rebar off, however you can try both on and off.

I don’t use hyper v, memory integrity or any of that it’s all disabled as it just eats some performance. Your results look about right, but could be improved with proper hardware and software optimisation.

If you have to use process lasso to get better performance, that tells me somethings not completely right with your setup. I don’t use anything like that, I just make sure I use the bullet points I posted a few pages back and have a clean, up to date os.

I use Win 10 and 11 22H2, and Windows 11 is definitely faster overall in games.

I see bro, can you share which settings u did in curve optimiser ? negative or positive ? and about values ? thats the settings i was asking.

I will try with reBAR OFF too.

And where i can disable hyper v ? others i disabled too. What kind of hardware talking about by mean proper ? My hardware is: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E, 7950x3D, MSI 4090 Suprim X and 2x 16 GB DDR5 G.SKILL 6000Mhz. Nearly same specs with you i believe, right ? Just your Rams are 6400Mhz.

Im using fresh installed Windows 11 22H2 also.

I see bro, can you share which settings u did in curve optimiser ? negative or positive ? and about values ? thats the settings i was asking.

I will try with reBAR OFF too.

And where i can disable hyper v ? others i disabled too. What kind of hardware talking about by mean proper ? My hardware is: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E, 7950x3D, MSI 4090 Suprim X and 2x 16 GB DDR5 G.SKILL 6000Mhz. Nearly same specs with you i believe, right ? Just your Rams are 6400Mhz.

Im using fresh installed Windows 11 22H2 also.
You have Hyper V enabled, I don’t enable / se it so can’t really help you there. Maybe try S off in the BIOS?

I could share my settings, but they won’t be stable for you as each CPU sample is different. You can try a -15 all core negative setting and see how you get on.

You have Hyper V enabled, I don’t enable / se it so can’t really help you there. Maybe try S off in the BIOS?

I could share my settings, but they won’t be stable for you as each CPU sample is different. You can try a -15 all core negative setting and see how you get on.

I just disabled Hyper V, and i will try -15 negative all core. lets see.

Also did you set Preferred cores in BIOS ? Cache, Driver, Frequency ? or i just leave as auto ?

Back
Top Bottom