• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use this with CPU Cache enabled rather than TM5 as I found it better for exposing system instability.

If you can pass at least 12+ hours of that overnight, you are good.
Got it running, ill let it run for a couple of hours.

I use this with CPU Cache enabled rather than TM5 as I found it better for exposing system instability.

With CPU Cache enabled.

Is it normal that during the test the mb speed goed down to 180mb? Im at 2500% 0 errors but speed went down. It was at 260mb when it was around 200% for a long time.

Trying new run, because when i came back pc screen was off and pc was sleep mode.

Last edited:
Is it normal that during the test the mb speed goed down to 180mb? Im at 2500% 0 errors but speed went down. It was at 260mb when it was around 200% for a long time.
Try lowering FCLK down to 2100. If the speed starts throttling after the test has been running for 10 minutes or moreo it could be that your FCLK is not fully stable at 2133Mhz.

After a while (not sure how long but could be hours) the speed should stability and only fluctuate a small amount perhaps 1-2MB or so.

Alternatively, you can try bumping the global VDDG voltage to 950 from the default 850 (found under AMD Overclocking menu in the BIOS for Asus boards) to see if that helps stop the MBs drop.

Last edited:
@LtMatt Kinda lose track of your hardware. But as you seem to be using a 7950x3d, putting aside the cost difference, is there a reason why that could be a preferred choice over that of a 7800x3d if the typical use could still be games. However factoring some games that might not benefit from a 3d cache, if that is reasonable to predict?

Thanks.

Try lowering FCLK down to 2100. If the speed starts throttling after the test has been running for 10 minutes or moreo it could be that your FCLK is not fully stable at 2133Mhz.

After a while (not sure how long but could be hours) the speed should stability and only fluctuate a small amount perhaps 1-2MB or so.

Alternatively, you can try bumping the global VDDG voltage to 950 from the default 850 (found under AMD Overclocking menu in the BIOS for Asus boards) to see if that helps stop the MBs drop.
I have VDDG at 950mv, i think the PC whent to sleep mode when i was away that bugged it, right now its running for 15min and stabalized around 259-260. Lets see how it goes, if it drops i will lower the FCLK to 2100mhz.

@LtMatt Kinda lose track of your hardware. But as you seem to be using a 7950x3d, putting aside the cost difference, is there a reason why that could be a preferred choice over that of a 7800x3d if the typical use could still be games. However factoring some games that might not benefit from a 3d cache, if that is reasonable to predict?

Thanks.
If you have a 4090, the 7950X3D is worth the extra outlay IMO as it's a bit faster in some games vs the 7800X3D. This can be more apparent in some games vs others. Cyberpunk 2077 is a good example of a game that benefits from the extra cores of the 7950X3D when paired with a 4090 and using Ultra RT or higher with DLSS. As you mention, some games (albeit not a huge amount) prefer higher frequency and in that case the 7950X3D has another advantage as the game will use the second CCD and get clock frequencies like a 7950X, where the 7800X3D will be stuck at boost frequency at or below 5.050Ghz.

Last edited:
If you have a 4090, the 7950X3D is worth the extra outlay IMO as it's a bit faster in some games vs the 7800X3D. This can be more apparent in some games vs others. Cyberpunk 2077 is a good example of a game that benefits from the extra cores of the 7950X3D when paired with a 4090 and using Ultra RT or higher with DLSS. As you mention, some games (albeit not a huge amount) prefer higher frequency and in that case the 7950X3D has another advantage as the game will use the second CCD and get clock frequencies like a 7950X, where the 7800X3D will be stuck at boost frequency at or below 5.050Ghz.

Thanks. There are some typical AAA games I would play that are easy enough to show, via YT, where the 7800x3d is clearly the chip of choice.
However some games that I play are more city builder type that can benefit from higher frequencies.
If that is the typical case would the 7950x3d be the preferred choice. And would it adapt between the two automatically ?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks. There are some typical AAA games I would play that are easy enough to show, via YT, where the 7800x3d is clearly the chip of choice.
Can you link me to those videos?

However some games that I play are more city builder type that can benefit from higher frequencies.
If that is the typical case would the 7950x3d be the preferred choice. And would it adapt between the two automatically ?

Thanks again.
The 7950X3D is the better chip all round. You just need to keep the game bar up to date periodically for new game releases so that the game gets assigned to the correct CCD for the 7950X3D. If CPU utilisation is high enough, both CCDs might be used which will help not hinder performance.

Last edited:
Chip of choice only in the context of the cost where a 7950x3d would make no difference with the game types played, that would not be me.

So, if a game is not picked up by the game bar it will use the non ccd aspect of the 7950x3d?

How good is the game bar etc at picking up suitably accelerated games accurately?

Thanks.

Chip of choice only in the context of the cost where a 7950x3d would make no difference with the game types played, that would not be me.

So, if a game is not picked up by the game bar it will use the non ccd aspect of the 7950x3d?

How good is the game bar etc at picking up suitably accelerated games accurately?

Thanks.
Correct. If a game is not detected for whatever reason, you can bring up game bar (if performance is bad) and check the option that says remember this is a game. It will then use the cache CCD when launched.

You can do that for any app, even things like Windows calculator if you so desire. However, it's best to use the frequency CCD for all non gaming stuff and it should do that by default if setup correctly.

After 1 hour it is still 259-260ms, i let it run for a couple hours more.

Correct. If a game is not detected for whatever reason, you can bring up game bar (if performance is bad) and check the option that says remember this is a game. It will then use the cache CCD when launched.

You can do that for any app, even things like Windows calculator if you so desire. However, it's best to use the frequency CCD for all non gaming stuff and it should do that by default if setup correctly.

Not sure why but I had an idea that those non detected games etc you would need some form of "lasso" or BIOS options. Seems less convoluted and easier to manage.

Last edited:
Not sure why but I had an idea that those non detected games etc you would need some form of "lasso" or BIOS options. Seems less convoluted and easier to manage.
The people that parroted that at launch didn’t have it setup properly. The worrying thing is that setup is really simple too lol. You don’t need Process Lasso.

Thanks again.

Bear in mind that these reviews showing the 7800X3D with better performance than a 7950X3D in some games, are done with 100% clean systems. if you're like most people and have background applications such as chrome, discord, spotify, plex etc etc, these will reduce performance on the 8 core CPU, whereas the 16 core CPU will not be nearly as affected.

The people that parroted that at launch didn’t have it setup properly. The worrying thing is that setup is really simple too lol. You don’t need Process Lasso.

Some things stick tho, deserved or not.

Do you not see a downside to what I posted and seem to want, in terms of games that would be typically accelerated and then those that would rely on high core clock speed?

Would that particular use benefit from anything special, RAM wise, beyond that of 6000Mhz CAS 30..?

Thanks, as always.

Some things stick tho, deserved or not.

Do you not see a downside to what I posted and seem to want, in terms of games that would be typically accelerated and then those that would rely on high core clock speed?

Would that particular use benefit from anything special, RAM wise, beyond that of 6000Mhz CAS 30..?

Thanks, as always.
What you described is exactly what the 7950X3D does automatically as far as I can see.

6000Mhz C30 is the sweet spot for performance and is simple to setup and apply via EXPO.

So I'd look for an EXPO certified kit and then apply the EXPO II profile in the BIOS.

What you described is exactly what the 7950X3D does automatically as far as I can see.

6000Mhz C30 is the sweet spot for performance and is simple to setup and apply via EXPO.

So I'd look for an EXPO certified kit and then apply the EXPO II profile in the BIOS.
How come expo II Matt? I have 6000mhz c36 put its on expo I ill get those zen timings over to you tonight if you could have alook thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom