• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
those Hardware unboxed benchmarks for Cyberpunk make no sense, can’t get anywhere near that performance at those settings and resolution on a 4090 + 7950X3D. The game is absurdly CPU bound.

They are saying they are getting 180fps in Dogtown with a 7800X3D + 4090 at 1080p Ultra
14900k is ahead in some titles like Cyberpunk and Spiderman, at 4k with RT enabled, as the engines simply favour it. 8 core CPU's are not enough for these games at 4k with RT, due to insane CPU usage.

14900k is ahead in some titles like Cyberpunk and Spiderman, at 4k with RT enabled, as the engines simply favour it. 8 core CPU's are not enough for these games at 4k with RT, due to insane CPU usage.
That’s the thing, they are showing the 7800X3D out performing the 14900k in these games, I just can’t get anywhere near the performance they are showcasing for the 7800X3D, with my 7950X3D. Their results are ahead of everyone else’s benchmarks as well, almost like they forgot to disable frame gen.

@Goose Check out this two videos.

Thanks for this! Will check these out.

Sorry I'm probably being really thick but I'm not sure I know what you mean? I tried googling "7800x3d beta" but couldn't really find anything.

This is the latest bios for the MSI B650 Tomahawk. (Top of the list)

those Hardware unboxed benchmarks for Cyberpunk make no sense, can’t get anywhere near that performance at those settings and resolution on a 4090 + 7950X3D. The game is absurdly CPU bound.

They are saying they are getting 180fps in Dogtown with a 7800X3D + 4090 at 1080p Ultra

That’s the thing, they are showing the 7800X3D out performing the 14900k in these games, I just can’t get anywhere near the performance they are showcasing for the 7800X3D, with my 7950X3D. Their results are ahead of everyone else’s benchmarks as well, almost like they forgot to disable frame gen.

Oh I see, should be the other way around, especially around the infamous "Tom's Diner" location (@LtMatt's most frequented restaurant :cry:)

Last edited:

Have you tried disabling the non 3D cache half of the 7950X3D?

Have you tried disabling the non 3D cache half of the 7950X3D?
That will kill performance in Cyberpunk and on many other games on a 7950X3D, don't do that. There are a few outliers where it actually helps, mostly it hurts. Especially in games that utilise RT and or lots of CPU cores like multiplayer games.

Where is that area and what testing results are you referring to?

Happy to test it on my 7950X3D.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.D
Is it necessary to update the BIOS that way? Will the 7800X3d and B650 Tomahawk no post without the latest BIOS or something?
Should post fine and you can update it the standard way of using the on screen gui. I would not rush to update to the latest B650 tomahawk BIOS as the recent ones seemingly have issues with detecting nvme slot 2 though there is yet another BIOS out today. Too early to know if it's good to use or not :p

Has anyone tested the 7800X3D with cheaper RAM kits? What kind of performance hit should one expect?
Might have to look around. Buildzoid has a pretty decent set of recent vids rounding up performance at different levels of RAM.

Seems any Hynix A or M die should clock above its EXPO setting if lower than 6000Mhz. Pretty sure I saw him talk about a 5600Mhz kit hitting above 6000Mhz.

There are other content creators out there, but I would have a quick look there and shop around.

Tricky thing is finding Hynix RAM and checking the validation sections on vendor websites and double checking it is in fact Hynix.

Last edited:
That will kill performance in Cyberpunk and on many other games on a 7950X3D, don't do that. There are a few outliers where it actually helps, mostly it hurts. Especially in games that utilise RT and or lots of CPU cores like multiplayer games.

Where is that area and what testing results are you referring to?

Happy to test it on my 7950X3D.

Sorry for the delay been rather busy. This recent video here from Hardware Unboxed. You can see the area they are benchmarking at the top left @04:20. Ultra Settings preset, RT Off.

They show a 1% low of 160fps and an avg of 189 FPS at 1080p before being CPU bound. I can’t even achieve that on the benchmark tool which is even less CPU heavy…

Loads of areas are destroying my FPS, like Tom’s diner area etc. I drop into the low 70s while CPU bound. Especially with RT on. Even driving around the city can see big frame drops with low GPU load. Obviously we have frame gen as an option, but it currently feels forced to achieve good performance.

The city centre area (AKA the giant circle) where you drive under the glass. I can see drops into the low 60s with RT, that’s with only 40% GPU load, while testing at below 1080p to force a CPU bottleneck. Seeing a flagship chip struggling to maintain 60fps like this doesn’t seem right. Friend of mine drops into the 40s in that same area with a 5800x3D + 4090 @720p. So hell it might just be the game…

Here are my specs and some extra information. I am away over Christmas, so I can’t really post any benchmarks until I am home. I do have an older video pre 2.0 update I can post however.

I am using the game bar method with the chipset drivers, second CCD disables when gaming. So it’s defo running on the 3D cache cores, which I can see from Ryzen Master. I’ve even tested with the second CCD disabled in the BIOS, which should give me pretty much identical performance to the 7800X3D. Was basically the same results.

Cyberpunk seems to wake up and use some of the extra cores from the second CCD anyway. Even if I was to disable them in process lasso it overrides it…

- Pre patch 2.0 results.

It would be interesting to see your results. Thanks :).

Windows 11 - 23H2
AMD 7950X3D
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX
Asus STRIX X670E-E
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB @6000MHz 30-36-36-76 (Expo 2 Profile)
RTX 4090 FE
Corsair AX 1000W
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay been rather busy. This recent video here from Hardware Unboxed. You can see the area they are benchmarking at the top left @04:20. Ultra Settings preset, RT Off.

They show a 1% low of 160fps and an avg of 189 FPS at 1080p before being CPU bound. I can’t even achieve that on the benchmark tool which is even less CPU heavy…

Loads of areas are destroying my FPS, like Tom’s diner area etc. I drop into the low 70s while CPU bound. Especially with RT on. Even driving around the city can see big frame drops with low GPU load. Obviously we have frame gen as an option, but it currently feels forced to achieve good performance.

The city centre area (AKA the giant circle) where you drive under the glass. I can see drops into the low 60s with RT, that’s with only 40% GPU load, while testing at below 1080p to force a CPU bottleneck. Seeing a flagship chip struggling to maintain 60fps like this doesn’t seem right. Friend of mine drops into the 40s in that same area with a 5800x3D + 4090 @720p. So hell it might just be the game…

Here are my specs and some extra information. I am away over Christmas, so I can’t really post any benchmarks until I am home. I do have an older video pre 2.0 update I can post however.

I am using the game bar method with the chipset drivers, second CCD disables when gaming. So it’s defo running on the 3D cache cores, which I can see from Ryzen Master. I’ve even tested with the second CCD disabled in the BIOS, which should give me pretty much identical performance to the 7800X3D. Was basically the same results.

Cyberpunk seems to wake up and use some of the extra cores from the second CCD anyway. Even if I was to disable them in process lasso it overrides it…

- Pre patch 2.0 results.

It would be interesting to see your results. Thanks :).

Windows 11 - 23H2
AMD 7950X3D
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX
Asus STRIX X670E-E
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB @6000MHz 30-36-36-76 (Expo 2 Profile)
RTX 4090 FE
Corsair AX 1000W
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe
You probably have some issue on your setup then as I can't say I experience drops to 60 FPS etc. Although it looks like HUB tested a different area than you so the results are almost certainly not comparable.

I tested Toms diner area 9 months ago on my setup, before the performance patches came out. I remember at the time of testing I was about 20-25% faster than a stock 12900K.

If I get time I'll recheck performance to see if it's changed but I very much doubt it has.

You probably have some issue on your setup then as I can't say I experience drops to 60 FPS etc. Although it looks like HUB tested a different area than you so the results are almost certainly not comparable.

I tested Toms diner area 9 months ago on my setup, before the performance patches came out. I remember at the time of testing I was about 20-25% faster than a stock 12900K.

If I get time I'll recheck performance to see if it's changed but I very much doubt it has.
I tested the same area as hardware unboxed, which you can see from their video, being the dogtown area from Phantom Liberty. (I never took a recording of it though) I remember getting around 120-130fps, while they claimed to get around 189 avg.

Not really sure what could be wrong, already done a clean install of Windows. Everything is setup the way it should be.
The Cyberpunk 2.0 update brought a huge increase to the games CPU requirements, I lost a lot of CPU performance after the patch.

Recently benchmarked the CPU getting 35-36K in Cinebench multi-core without PBO.

Those results you are getting in Cyberpunk are crazy. Like a good 40% higher than other benchmarks I have seen people post of that area on the same chip. Is that with crowd density on high? Would be interesting to see what you get in this area with RT on and high crowd density.

Especially when driving through the tunnel under the glass during the day. That’s probably the most CPU heavy area in the game right now. That’s where I am dropping into the 60s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom