• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tested the same area as hardware unboxed, which you can see from their video, being the dogtown area from Phantom Liberty. (I never took a recording of it though) I remember getting around 120-130fps, while they claimed to get around 189 avg.

Not really sure what could be wrong, already done a clean install of Windows. Everything is setup the way it should be.
The Cyberpunk 2.0 update brought a huge increase to the games CPU requirements, I lost a lot of CPU performance after the patch.

Recently benchmarked the CPU getting 35-36K in Cinebench multi-core without PBO.

Those results you are getting in Cyberpunk are crazy. Like a good 40% higher than other benchmarks I have seen people post of that area on the same chip. Is that with crowd density on high? Would be interesting to see what you get in this area with RT on and high crowd density.

Especially when driving through the tunnel under the glass during the day. That’s probably the most CPU heavy area in the game right now. That’s where I am dropping into the 60s.
That was using 1080P Ultra Ray Tracing preset with Crowd Density at high. I showed the settings at the start bar the crowd density option which at that time was under a different menu.

Not sure I can access the other area yet in my single player game as I'm not that far into the game. How do you get there exactly? The image you posted doesn't work btw.

My results are usually higher than what HUB get, so if they get 189 FPS I'll probably get more than that.

Last edited:
That was using 1080P Ultra Ray Tracing preset with Crowd Density at high. I showed the settings at the start bar the crowd density option which at that time was under a different menu.

Not sure I can access the other area yet in my single player game as I'm not that far into the game. How do you get there exactly? The image you posted doesn't work btw.

My results are usually higher than what HUB get, so if they get 189 FPS I'll probably get more than that.
Because I am currently forced to use my mobile right now, imgur is of course refusing to upload lol, try this link instead.

This area, when driving under the glass circle during the day, is without a doubt the most demanding location in the game.

Update:
Here found a video of the area on YouTube.

Last edited:
Because I am currently forced to use my mobile right now, imgur is of course refusing to upload lol, try this link instead.

This area, when driving under the glass circle during the day, is without a doubt the most demanding location in the game.

Update:
Here found a video of the area on YouTube.

With RT ultra preset (+DLSS perf) at 1080p I'm seeing drops into the 80s and occasionally high 70s in that area on the 7800X3D

Is the 7800X3D decent (or maybe the 7900?)? Not sure whether I’ll upgrade yet, but if I did it would be the one I’d go for. Not interested in overclocking. Would it pair well with a 7900XTX? Gaming at 4K which I figure uses less CPU?

Last edited:
Is the 7800X3D decent (or maybe the 7900?)? Not sure whether I’ll upgrade yet, but if I did it would be the one I’d go for. Not interested in overclocking. Would it pair well with a 7900XTX? Gaming at 4K which I figure uses less CPU?

its super efficient, inexpensive, easy to cool and the fastest gaming CPU there is....... even if you don't need it to be all that why bother with a lesser alternative if its going to cost the same? :)

You can’t go wrong with the 7800X3D for the reasons said above. A big plus, you dont need to spend money on high end memory due to the cache. It won’t affect performance in any meaningful way.

You can’t go wrong with the 7800X3D for the reasons said above. A big plus, you dont need to spend money on high end memory due to the cache. It won’t affect performance in any meaningful way.
Is there any benchmark that support this? I'm interested because I'm going to buy a lot of memory and on 64GB savings can be substantial.

Is there any benchmark that support this? I'm interested because I'm going to buy a lot of memory and on 64GB savings can be substantial.
Yes, just have a look around. My testing with with some cheap Corsair B-Die vengeance against Hynix A-Die, both tuned, showed very little difference. The 3D Cache offsets the need for fast memory. Over 6000 CL34 shows very little gain.

I was planning an upgrade to the 7800x3d and was wondering about memory speeds. Looks like I won't have to worry too much and can focus on capacity.

The sweetspot is DDR 6000 CL30, don't go any lower and there's no benefit going higher. Don't make the mistake of assuming that means some cheaper 4800 RAM will be a good purchase. Lower speed RAM will have a 5% - 10% impact.

Last edited:
The sweetspot is DDR 6000 CL30, don't go any lower and there's no benefit going higher. Don't make the mistake of assuming that means some cheaper 4800 RAM will be a good purchase. Lower speed RAM will have a 5% - 10% impact.

Agreed we have plenty of nice C30 EXPO from G.Skill in stock:

Agreed we have plenty of nice C30 EXPO from G.Skill in stock:

G skill are off the naughty step now im assuming.

Thats the kit im using and its been spot on.

Last edited:
The benefit of going higher is that in the future if AMD release next gen CPUs with higher memory capability’s, say 7600mhz I’d have ram that I know will run those higher speeds.

The benefit of going higher is that in the future if AMD release next gen CPUs with higher memory capability’s, say 7600mhz I’d have ram that I know will run those higher speeds.

Future proofing is a myth perpetuated by hardware companies. Paying £120 or more over the odds for RAM you can’t get benefit from now is a mugs game. The idea that someday “maybe you will see that potential”, is rarely ever realised in PC HW. I’m sure all those 2080Ti and 3090Ti owners are delighted with their future proofed GPUs.

If you have an extra £120+ in your budget then put it towards a better CPU and get a 7950X3D instead of a 7800X3D (or 7900X3D if productivity is your main goal with gaming also important). Or maybe get 64GB instead of 32GB. That way you get instant actual benefits instead of “potential” that may never be reached.

Last edited:

i went for the 32gb non rgb and cannot be happier. i set the expo in the b650e pg riptide bios and it just works.

Future proofing is a myth perpetuated by hardware companies. Paying £120 or more over the odds for RAM you can’t get benefit from now is a mugs game. The idea that someday “maybe you will see that potential”, is rarely ever realised in PC HW. I’m sure all those 2080Ti and 3090Ti owners are delighted with their future proofed GPUs.

If you have an extra £120+ in your budget then put it towards a better CPU and get a 7950X3D instead of a 7800X3D (or 7900X3D if productivity is your main goal). Or maybe get 64GB instead of 32GB. That way you get instant actual benefits instead of “potential” that may never be reached.
I went for the 32GB non RGB and cannot be happier. I set the EXPO in the B650E PG Riptide BIOS and it just works.

How’s it paying £120 more? It’s more like £10-35 more and if future CPU support faster memory which is likey with what happened over the course of AM4 then your covered in the future.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £308.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom