• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At least compare like with like instead of cherry picking sale items because you said "7600", not 7200 and listed a 7200 kit anyway. Then also ignored the least expensive DDR5 6000 kits while showing the DDR5 7X00 kits that are on sale. DDR5 7600 is in general £70 - £160 more expensive than the cheaper DDR5 6000, I just picked an average price difference for a comparison.

It is possible to get 32GB of DDR5 6000 C38 non EXPO that can be tuned for a touch less than £100 now. So a difference of £65 if we go by your picks and considering some of those 7600 kits are £200+ you can see how zero cost/perf benefit some of them would give. The impact on R9 7XX03D system performance for that £65 (or usually more) would be to all intents and purposes ZERO.

You also forget that your DDR5 6000 C30 RAM can be overclocked if required?

I specifically picked the £130 EXPO DDR5 6000 C30 for the plug and play no hassle benefits and paid a £30 premium for it. So that £30 wasn't some potential "future proofing", it was an actual benefit I was getting right now.

Last edited:
At least compare like with like instead of cherry picking sale items because you said "7600", not 7200 and listed a 7200 kit anyway. Then also ignored the least expensive DDR5 6000 kits while showing the DDR5 7X00 kits that are on sale. DDR5 7600 is in general £70 - £160 more expensive than the cheaper DDR5 6000, I just picked an average price difference for a comparison.

It is possible to get 32GB of DDR5 6000 C38 non EXPO that can be tuned for a touch less than £100 now. So a difference of £65 if we go by your picks and considering some of those 7600 kits are £200+ you can see how zero cost/perf benefit some of them would give. The impact on R9 7XX03D system performance for that £65 (or usually more) would be to all intents and purposes ZERO.

I specifically picked the £130 EXPO DDR5 6000 C30 for the plug and play no hassle benefits and paid a £30 premium for it. So that £30 wasn't some potential "future proofing", it was an actual benefit I was getting right now.
Whats wrong with buying parts on sale? I never pay full price for anything if I can help it.

The cheapest in stock 6000/30 kit in stock is only £5 and that is also on sale so no real difference in the grand scheme.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £128.99 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Put down the shovel. :D
  1. OCUK are not the only source for RAM, so not in stock here means nothing.
  2. You specifically mentioned you would buy DDR5 7600 RAM for future proofing (not 7200).
  3. In general that would cost from £165ish to £320ish. None of which are EXPO and may potentially need tuned for stability on AMD AM5 boards.
  4. DDR5 6000 costs from £90 to about £240 with a good C3- EXPO kit costing about £120. EXPO means easy setup with approved timings.
  5. There is nothing to stop DDR5 6000 C30 RAM being overclocked to much higher frequencies in future.
  6. Or indeed some of the cheaper DDR5 5200/5600 kits being overclocked to DDR5 6000 right now (more savings)

So IMHO the costs of buying DDR5 7600 RAM for an AM5 based PC, is not "future proofing", it is wasting money that could be used for immediate benefit.

Last edited:
OCUK are not the only source for RAM, so not in stock here means nothing.
I can only link to examples from OCUK, nothing says you can't also find cheaper fast ram elsewhere.
You specifically mentioned you would buy DDR5 7600 RAM for future proofing (not 7200).
I used 7600 as an example, not set in stone.
In general that would cost from £165ish to £320ish. None of which are EXPO and may potentially need tuned for stability on AMD AM5 boards.
Downclocking memory is generally easier than overclocking.
There is nothing to stop DDR5 6000 C30 RAM being overclocked to much higher frequencies in future.
overclocking is less of a certainty than underclocking.
Or indeed some of the cheaper DDR5 5200/5600 kits being overclocked to DDR5 6000 right now (more savings)
Again that's a gamble.
So IMHO the costs of buying DDR5 7600 RAM for an AM5 based PC, is not "future proofing", it is wasting money that could be used for immediate benefit.
I seen plenty of people on here who went with a set of 2666-3000mhz for early AM4 builds then spent another £150 on a 3600mhz kit later on so lets agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with x670e Hero BIOS updates. I picked up a GSKILL 8000Mhz kit as I found it on sale for a great price. It's listed on the QVL for the x670 hero (F5-8000J4048F24GX2-TZ5RK). It's not an EXPO kit, it only has Intel XMP profiles.

Updated BIOS to latest, installed RAM, set DOCP profile 1 (ASUS's terminology for loading Intel XMP on AMD) and booted quickly. Did a few tests, completely stable.

Quick AIDA64:

js4xLUP.png

If I get time (doubt I will) I'll have a play to see if I can tighten timings up a bit.

Last edited:
I can only link to examples from OCUK, nothing says you can't also find cheaper fast ram elsewhere.

I used 7600 as an example, not set in stone.

Downclocking memory is generally easier than overclocking.

overclocking is less of a certainty than underclocking.

Again that's a gamble.

I seen plenty of people on here who went with a set of 2666-3000mhz for early AM4 builds then spent another £150 on a 3600mhz kit later on so lets agree to disagree.

If you can get the faster RAM at the same price it would be wise to go for the faster RAM. But IMHO spending a lot more for "potential" on a 7XX0 3D cache system is a waste. For non 3D versions I can see the point, but this is the X3D variant thread.

X3D brothers, I sold my much beloved and highly binned Hynix A Die kit to a young and virile @Speed (the latter claim is open to debate).

Therefore, I've switched to a new high bin DRAM kit that has become available (can't link to it here as OcuK don't sell it but it's visible in my Zen Timings screenshot) and I'm now in the process of manually tuning 8000Mhz CL34 on a 7950X3D.

The bandwidth increase is significant vs 6200Mhz, the Aida latency is the same or marginally better. Games generally show a performance increase vs 6200Mhz. Games that benefit from the higher memory bandwidth, such as Cyberpunk 2077, show a higher performance increase than others.

I may well post a YouTube video in the not too distant future comparing 6200Mhz CL26 tuned vs 8000Mhz Cl34 tuned in various games in CPU limited scenarios.

Please do not attempt to copy my settings, they are not plug and play and may not be stable on your CPU

Last edited:
X3D brothers, I sold my much beloved and highly binned Hynix A Die kit to a young and virile @Speed (the latter claim is open to debate).

Therefore, I've switched to a new high bin DRAM kit that has become available (can't link to it here as OcuK don't sell it but it's visible in my Zen Timings screenshot) and I'm now in the process of manually tuning 8000Mhz CL34 on a 7950X3D.

The bandwidth increase is significant vs 6200Mhz, the Aida latency is the same or marginally better. Games generally show a performance increase vs 6200Mhz. Games that benefit from the higher memory bandwidth, such as Cyberpunk 2077, show a higher performance increase than others.

I may well post a YouTube video in the not too distant future comparing 6200Mhz CL26 tuned vs 8000Mhz Cl34 tuned in various games in CPU limited scenarios.

Please do not attempt to copy my settings, they are not plug and play and may not be stable on your CPU

Nice. I'm seeing a performance increase with my (currently) untuned 8000Mhz kit vs my 6000 C30 kit in most games, so can imagine you'll get great results with that latency :)

For some bizzare reason when I set my Corsair Dominator 64gb 6000mhz kit to expo it ran it at 6000 C30 just fine but I found gaming performance to be slightly lower than just setting it on auto which runs it at 4800 c40? it also took for ever to boot in comparison

For some bizzare reason when I set my Corsair Dominator 64gb 6000mhz kit to expo it ran it at 6000 C30 just fine but I found gaming performance to be slightly lower than just setting it on auto which runs it at 4800 c40? it also took for ever to boot in comparison
Boot time is due to memory training. There's a setting you need to change in the BIOS to sort it out. Need to turn on memory context restore. Power down enable should also be on and Fast Boot should be off. It will slow boot once and from then on it will boot at normal speeds unless you update BIOS or change memory settings.

Last edited:
Boot time is due to memory training. There's a setting you need to change in the BIOS to sort it out. Need to turn on memory context restore. Power down enable should also be on and Fast Boot should be off. It will slow boot once and from then on it will boot at normal speeds unless you update BIOS or change memory settings.

Thanks for that will take a look, the boot time wasnt really the end of the world tbh and I knew it was something to do with the memory training but will defo look again, it was more the lower performance in games MW2/3 in particular?

So there are rumours doing the rounds that AMD are releasing their Zen 5 CPUs in April or May.

Sooner than I expected :eek:

I was planning on building a new rig (7800X3D, 64GB of DDR5 and a 7900XTX) next month.

I can get a 7800X3D for around £369 (not from Overclockers though).

Do you think I'll be better off waiting a few months and get an 8800X3D instead? It'll probably be around 20% more powerful, I would have thought.

So there are rumours doing the rounds that AMD are releasing their Zen 5 CPUs in April or May.

I was planning on building a new rig (7800X3D, 64GB of DDR5 and a 7900XTX) next month.

Do you think I'll be better off waiting a few months and get an 8800X3D instead? It'll probably be around 20% more powerful, I would have thought.
Personally I would wait now and see how it performs, if it does turn out to be significantly faster the you can jump straight in, if not then the 7800 X3D`s will be cheaper then so it`s win win. You`ve waited this long, you might as well wait a couple more months.

I have managed to get a 7800x3d for a great price coming tomorrow, i know you can’t manually overclock these because the 3D V-Cache is susceptible to voltage and temperature spikes, but is it still ok to to activate PBO on these chip and use the curve optimizer? Anyone got any tips and tricks for the 7800x3d?

I have managed to get a 7800x3d for a great price coming tomorrow, i know you can’t manually overclock these because the 3D V-Cache is susceptible to voltage and temperature spikes, but is it still ok to to activate PBO on these chip and use the curve optimizer? Anyone got any tips and tricks for the 7800x3d?
Negative -30 and leave it alone I think is the general done thing

Regardless of what you do, I'd not recommend a 8 core CPU in 2024 for gaming. Too many games take 8 core CPU's to the limit, you have to be very careful in Windows to close all other programs/services, which is not a good experience.

Wondering the same myself, wait or upgrade? I’d rather wait until the end of the year anyway, so that probably puts me in a better window for the newer hardware. Either way it’ll be a huge leap from my 9700k.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom